JT3 fired by Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JT3 fired by Georgetown

Postby EMT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:50 am

Bill Marsh wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Martin or Brey would be home run hires IMO.

Why would Brey leave Notre Dame?

Only because he's a DeMatha guy. But that was a long time ago.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sciencejay » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:51 am

OmahaGuy wrote:Unlikely this will happen and unlikely it's actually happening but maybe Georgetown could be waiting for Frank Martin. His Gamecocks are in the Final 4 so it may be awhile. It's a stretch but I'd love to see it happen. SC's defense is unreal. Georgetown in the past has always played great defense. I also would like to maybe see Ewing take the job.

How does Martin come up? 'Fit' is one of the most important things that coaches who are in good jobs require to consider moving. Martin is from SC, and he's got USC into the FF. His future looks bright. And if he can routinely keep them in the upper quarter of the SEC, what could be better for him? He has gobs of talent to recruit in the southeast, and with football being king, he won't have to live with the expectations that Miller will at Indiana. He can challenge regularly for conference (and possibly national) championships.

One real attraction to the GT job is that BB is the #1 sport there, so he would be BMOC (as would the players he recruits). But without being part of the Thompson family tree, how long of a leash would he get? I obviously have zero inside info on who is on GT's list and whether Martin might be interested, but this seems like a stretch to me.
sciencejay

Postby brianxavier » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:14 am

I think a coach looks at the following to determine whether it's a great job, assuming he wants to make a move at this time in his life:

1. How much does it pay?
2. What are the opportunities to augment the salary?
3. What are the conditions for job security?
4. What are the supports from administration, Board, boosters, alumni, fans?
5. What are the challenges to and advantages for recruiting?
6. What are the facilities?
7. Is it some place I want to live?
8. How does the wife feel about it? She has veto power despite 1-7.
9. Is it some place I want to raise kids, if I have a young family?

Another thing that seems to be a very nice perk is having a private plane available to recruit and chartered planes for all games. That seems to make a nice qualify of life improvement. Locally, I don't think University of Cincinnati even has that.
brianxavier

Postby Randy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am

I think they would be fools not to look at Randy Rahe. Guy can flat out coach!
Randy

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 am

Randy wrote:I think they would be fools not to look at Randy Rahe. Guy can flat out coach!

only problem is that his coaching career-
Colorado College
Colorado
Denver
Colorado St
Utah St
Utah
Weber St

you worry that a guy like that has all of his recruiting ties western.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:02 pm

It really was a great read, Bill.

Georgetown deserves to get a great hire... Mike Brey would be a great hire, Gregg Marshall would be a great hire (and continue the "thug defense" mentality). However, I recently heard from an obscure, unreliable source, on the Wash Post typesetting floor, that Wainwright and Purnell were the leading candidates.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm

I wished some of you people was on the coaching search for Georgetown, being I'm not a fan of them. "You can't bring in this coach because he doesn't have recruiting ties to the area" or "You can't bring in this guy because he isn't a legacy of JT2." Really? I would love for a few of you to be on the committee. Can we say shortsighted? There is more than one way to skin a cat.

You can bring in any coach from any, part of the country! That particular coach just keep his ties from the part of coaching where he was previously coaching and then he could bring in an assistant coach who does have ties and good relationships in the DMV region. The head coach could consistently poach talent from his previous locale. Talent is talent, regardless where it hails.

I would stay away from any legacy personnel of JT2. It will only make for another uncomfortable situation, in case it doesn't work out. There are plenty of viable options for Georgetown, outside of JT2 legacies.

gtmoBlue wrote:However, I recently heard from an obscure, unreliable source, on the Wash Post typesetting floor, that Wainwright and Purnell were the leading candidates.

I'm going to assume this is a joke, right?
Red Rooster

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:06 pm

sciencejay wrote:
OmahaGuy wrote:Unlikely this will happen and unlikely it's actually happening but maybe Georgetown could be waiting for Frank Martin. His Gamecocks are in the Final 4 so it may be awhile. It's a stretch but I'd love to see it happen. SC's defense is unreal. Georgetown in the past has always played great defense. I also would like to maybe see Ewing take the job.

How does Martin come up? 'Fit' is one of the most important things that coaches who are in good jobs require to consider moving. Martin is from SC, and he's got USC into the FF. His future looks bright. And if he can routinely keep them in the upper quarter of the SEC, what could be better for him? He has gobs of talent to recruit in the southeast, and with football being king, he won't have to live with the expectations that Miller will at Indiana. He can challenge regularly for conference (and possibly national) championships.

One real attraction to the GT job is that BB is the #1 sport there, so he would be BMOC (as would the players he recruits). But without being part of the Thompson family tree, how long of a leash would he get? I obviously have zero inside info on who is on GT's list and whether Martin might be interested, but this seems like a stretch to me.

Martin is not from South Carolina he's from Miami, FL.
hoyahooligan

Postby xusandy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Wainwright and Purnell -- good one! Though it's not nice to make fun of two pretty decent coaches whose little respected specialty was getting a disaster program back to mere decency and no further. Not a bad legacy for either of them. You could add Leitao to that mix.

A couple of ideas -- how about Brad Brownell from Clemson - he gets no love there despite having slowly rebuilt the Tigers into a competitive program, and he has to feel a bit nervous about his long term prospects in the ACC. Or Dan Hurley from Rhode Island -- an East Coast guy with impeccable credentials, strong ties up and down the coast, and he's a great recruiter. He or Greg Marshall would be "home runs" IMHO, but would Marshall leave Wichita State for the nation's capital? What about Pat Kelsey from Winthrop -- if he's still up for moving to the big time? Given what's happened at St. John's with Mullins, I also think Patrick Ewing might be an attractive candidate.

Why would Mike Brey make what is essentially a lateral move to go from ND to G'town?
xusandy

Postby Jet915 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:50 pm

xusandy wrote:Wainwright and Purnell -- good one! Though it's not nice to make fun of two pretty decent coaches whose little respected specialty was getting a disaster program back to mere decency and no further. Not a bad legacy for either of them. You could add Leitao to that mix.

A couple of ideas -- how about Brad Brownell from Clemson - he gets no love there despite having slowly rebuilt the Tigers into a competitive program, and he has to feel a bit nervous about his long term prospects in the ACC. Or Dan Hurley from Rhode Island -- an East Coast guy with impeccable credentials, strong ties up and down the coast, and he's a great recruiter. He or Greg Marshall would be "home runs" IMHO, but would Marshall leave Wichita State for the nation's capital? What about Pat Kelsey from Winthrop -- if he's still up for moving to the big time? Given what's happened at St. John's with Mullins, I also think Patrick Ewing might be an attractive candidate.

Why would Mike Brey make what is essentially a lateral move to go from ND to G'town?

I though I read somewhere that Brey makes less tyan 2 million a year so based on what they were paying JT3, he would get a huge raise.
Jet915

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board