JT3 fired by Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JT3 fired by Georgetown

Postby FriarsForever » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:03 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
billyjack wrote:Ed Cooley has no interest in leaving Providence. Article by Kevin McNamara:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... providence

COACHSPEAK 101:

Not trying to argue but that's the exact article with the I quote in the post above yours.

"The flurry of college job openings is easing, but that won't change much for Cooley. It sounds like he'd be surprised if the calls stop.
"It's really flattering that people want you," he says, "but it has to be the right fit. You never say never because you don't know what can happen in life and you never exclude opportunity that can enhance your family's life, but I'm not looking. I fit here at Providence College."

If you understand coachspeak, then that quote doesn't sound as firm as "no interest in leaving Providence."

He said "I'm not looking. I fit here at Providence College." Big difference.. especially when Cooley had just finished saying, "It has to be the right fit."

If that isn't a red flag to you, then the fact that there even needed to be a long article about Cooley possibly leaving should signify that there is some smoke, if nothing else.

I don't know if Cooley is the right guy for the job at Georgetown. However, he definitely looks the part a lot more than someone like Dan Hurley. Georgetown has had an African-American coach for so long, it just feels part in parcel with the job and the city itself.

If by chance Cooley gets the job, I hope that article isn't blown out of proportion. The writer took a few liberties in framing those quotes. That's not Cooley's fault.

Crawfish, you clearly want Cooley as your next coach. You can try to pick apart what he was saying anyway you want. Truth is, it means exactly what it means. I fit at Providence and I have no interest in leaving. The man has already turned down Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Cal etc. He ain't leaving.
FriarsForever

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 pm

itsmejpt wrote:Danny didn't get to the Hall until '91. He only took them to the Elite 8.

Danny Hurley, at best, only played on a Sweet 16 team for Seton Hall. That was during the 1991-1992 season when he was a freshman. He didn't play a prominent role on that team.
Last edited by Red Rooster on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Rooster

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:09 pm

RedStorm wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:
He's not really associated with the Georgetown that captured the mindset and mentality of hip hop in the 80s.

The Georgetown brand is still an urban mark to a lot of people. That was embodied by Thompson and his tough exterior. Esherick was a mistake.

That being said, someone like Frank Martin could fit the role of that larger than life figure. He's not African-American. I do feel like this position needs to have that mindset because this is DC's team.

I think your view of Georgetown is off. "Hip hop" and "urban" are the last things I think of when viewing JT jr and JT3. Have heard people toss around the race thing with regards to that job and frankly it makes no sense. Really think the real issue for Hoyas at this point is the availability of really good coaches is shrinking. Indiana got Archie, Brey is unlikely (although he would be perfect), Shaka Smart seems a longshot, Frank Martin is a pipe dream at this point. For some reason which I haven't seen explained, Gregg Marshall seems not to be a consideration. Is it his crazy wife? He is the best pure coach left available.

Looking more and more like G-town will have to settle for someone like Hurley or some other midmajor who comes with big question marks. Or someone like Crean. Or maybe a gamble like Ewing.

FriarsForever wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:
billyjack wrote:Ed Cooley has no interest in leaving Providence. Article by Kevin McNamara:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... providence

COACHSPEAK 101:

Not trying to argue but that's the exact article with the I quote in the post above yours.

"The flurry of college job openings is easing, but that won't change much for Cooley. It sounds like he'd be surprised if the calls stop.
"It's really flattering that people want you," he says, "but it has to be the right fit. You never say never because you don't know what can happen in life and you never exclude opportunity that can enhance your family's life, but I'm not looking. I fit here at Providence College."

If you understand coachspeak, then that quote doesn't sound as firm as "no interest in leaving Providence."

He said "I'm not looking. I fit here at Providence College." Big difference.. especially when Cooley had just finished saying, "It has to be the right fit."

If that isn't a red flag to you, then the fact that there even needed to be a long article about Cooley possibly leaving should signify that there is some smoke, if nothing else.

I don't know if Cooley is the right guy for the job at Georgetown. However, he definitely looks the part a lot more than someone like Dan Hurley. Georgetown has had an African-American coach for so long, it just feels part in parcel with the job and the city itself.

If by chance Cooley gets the job, I hope that article isn't blown out of proportion. The writer took a few liberties in framing those quotes. That's not Cooley's fault.

Crawfish, you clearly want Cooley as your next coach. You can try to pick apart what he was saying anyway you want. Truth is, it means exactly what it means. I fit at Providence and I have no interest in leaving. The man has already turned down Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Cal etc. He ain't leaving.

I clearly saw Crawfish had a certain angle a few days ago. Most of his posts related to the Hoyas' coaching search isn't based on anything logical, but more so to an agenda.
Red Rooster

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
RedStorm wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:I clearly saw Crawfish had a certain angle a few days ago. Most of his posts related to the Hoyas' coaching search isn't based on anything logical, but more so to an agenda.

No.. I am not a communist. I just grew up in Dale City Virginia a die hard Hoya.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby itsmejpt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
itsmejpt wrote:Danny didn't get to the Hall until '91. He only took them to the Elite 8.

Danny Hurley, at best, only played on a Sweet 16 team for Seton Hall. That was during the 1991-1992 season when he was a freshman. He didn't play a prominent role on that team.

Cooool. My point still stands.
Gyarrrr
itsmejpt

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:06 pm

SJHooper wrote:Seems like Ewing was the early favorite, but cooled off recently. Any idea why? Also have no idea how Shaka could be a candidate, he just started at Texas with all those facilities and all that money. Why would Texas let him leave? I think Dan Hurley would do well, but I feel like they can get a more high profile coach like Billy Donavan or even Richard Pitino. Pitino has turned Minnesota into a factor. It's so odd seeing G'Town not compete the last handful of years or so. Growing up, they were right there with the very elite. There's always that question of "Is it just getting good recruits or is it a good coach or both?". The answer is definitely both. Time and time again we see coaches fail with loaded rosters and other coaches succeed with mediocre rosters. G'Town needs a hungry guy to bring the talent in and really understand how to develop players and get them to buy in.

I don't think Georgetown can get Billy Donovan, and how has Richard Pitino turned Minnesota into a factor? Until, he shows sustained success, then one can't say for certain. If you're 27 years old, then you was practically an adult when Georgetown "turned the corner" again under JT3. Because, they wasn't any good when you was "growing up."

Of course, I don't know who'll get the job, but I'm still "on the fence" when it comes to Danny Hurley. I'm not sold on him nor am I not sold on him.
Red Rooster

Postby pc5151 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Danny Manning
pc5151

Postby micgoG'town » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Hearing St. Mary's Randy Bennett has had multiple conversations with G'town.
micgoG'town

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 am

On Monday March 20th EMT wrote:
http://deadspin.com/the-power-struggle- ... 1793666837

Gene Wang of the Washington Post reported that the leading candidates were Harvard’s Tommy Amaker, Shaka Smart of the University of Texas, and Notre Dame’s Mike Brey.

Georgetown inquires about Mike Brey, Shaka Smart but will land neither as coach – Gary Parrish, CBS Sports – March 28, 2017
Brey and Smart both declined to pursue the Big East opening

Where Georgetown will turn next is unclear. Rhode Island’s Dan Hurley, Harvard’s Tommy Amaker and Georgetown legend Patrick Ewing, a current NBA assistant, are three obvious possible candidates.

Providence’s Ed Cooley has also been listed as a possible candidate. But he told the Providence Journal this week that he’s “not interested” in the job.

Be careful in what you wish for. Dan Hurley has single-handedly turned Rhode Island into the most despised and embarrassing team in the Atlantic 10. While he is a good recruiter and game coach, Hurley’s on-court antics, constant badgering of game officials, and frequent technical fouls have many Rhode Island Rams fans wishing he would just leave. If I were a Georgetown fan, I would hope for a better hire than this:

A closer look at Wednesday's incident between Rhode Island coach Dan Hurley and Maryland - Don Markus, The Baltimore Sun – November 27, 2015
Riviera Maya, Mexico - The biggest story to emerge from Wednesday's Cancun Challenge championship game was not the performance of the No. 2 Maryland men's basketball team, which finally played up to its preseason hype by crushing Rhode Island, 86-63, at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya.

It is what happened in the last two minutes of a game in which Maryland led by as many as 29 in the second half. And, even more dramatically, it is what occurred during the customary postgame handshake line between the teams.

As the postgame handshake line was breaking up, Turgeon and Hurley appeared to have a heated exchange. This time, members of Hurley's staff had to be pushed away by Turgeon's assistants and players near the Maryland bench at midcourt as tournament officials stood nearby waiting to begin the trophy presentation ceremony.

A tournament official, who gave an unauthorized interview to The Baltimore Sun and The Washington Post, said he was within earshot of the handshake line, and heard Hurley saying the same thing to each Terps player.

“He said: ‘Good game, thanks for talking [expletive] on the court,' ”
said the official.

Longtime Maryland analyst Chris Knoche corroborated that statement on the team's postgame radio show. According to Knoche, Hurley had used words “I would not repeat” on air.

Turgeon said he never had witnessed anything like the late-game drama in all his years of coaching.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby EMT » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:53 am

Fieldhouse Flyer,

You do a terrific job of linking to sources. Do you have sources for URI fans wanting Hurley out? I was on Keaney Blue for 5 min yesterday and didn't see anything but love. I'd love to read more of that.
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board