JT3 fired by Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: JT3 fired by Georgetown

Postby billyjack » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:00 am

URI Rams fans are fine with Hurley. They had issues after the Fordham loss, but Rhody recovered and went on that great 5 week run, and now their fans are totally back on his side. And they don't want him to leave (though they understand if he takes the Georgetown job).

As far as sideline antics, which i've mentioned here in the past, his mouth is no worse than Coach K's, and his walking on the court is no worse than Jamie Dixon.

The Maryland incident... Rhody fans have no problem with it. I don't know what happened during the game to piss Hurley off beyond trash talking, though i remember it involved Maryland calling a timeout with under a minute to sub in their walk-ons in a 25 point game.... anyway, me, i can't stand Maryland's coach Mark Turgeon, who acts like a total a-hole on the sideline jumping up and down like he's on The Price Is Right... maybe Turgeon did some of that cheerleading and it rubbed Hurley the wrong way.

Also, the Maryland thing was several years ago.

Anyway, I can't believe i'm defending Hurley, but i disagree with your post.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:02 am

EMT wrote:Fieldhouse Flyer,

You do a terrific job of linking to sources. Do you have sources for URI fans wanting Hurley out? I was on Keaney Blue for 5 min yesterday and didn't see anything but love. I'd love to read more of that.

EMT is totally correct. Rhody fans absolutely want Hurley to stay. Yeah, after the La Salle and Fordham losses in early February they had their pitchforks out, but over the last 5 or 6 weeks they absolutely want him to stay.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Edrick » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 am

It would be very disappointing if they actually hired Patrick Ewing. GU needs someone who'd actually run the program not JT Jr, someone with enough gravitas to (nicely) tell him to stay in the background. Hiring a stooge is no different than keeping JT3
Edrick

Postby pc5151 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 am

Hurley can flat out coach and his players love him. His is a fiery guy and after watching the corpse of JT3 on the sideline for the past few years I would think his his personality would be a welcomed change on the hilltop
pc5151

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 am

pc5151 wrote:Hurley can flat out coach and his players love him. His is a fiery guy and after watching the corpse of JT3 on the sideline for the past few years I would think his his personality would be a welcomed change on the hilltop

I could get behind Hurley but he would be far from the top of my list. I'm not a big Crean fan either but I'd put Crean above Hurley if those were my options.

I still think Ewing offers more. Those who discount his ability to coach because he hasn't been the head man in the NBA (and exactly how many jobs are there in the NBA anyway??) don't know the man.

Big East fans of all people should be cheering Ewing on. Patrick Ewing is who made the original Big East relevant. Without Ewing, its a much different deal. That man is no puppet.

I'd like to see it.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby NJRedman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 am

itsmejpt wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
itsmejpt wrote:Danny didn't get to the Hall until '91. He only took them to the Elite 8.

Danny Hurley, at best, only played on a Sweet 16 team for Seton Hall. That was during the 1991-1992 season when he was a freshman. He didn't play a prominent role on that team.

Cooool. My point still stands.

Yeah, it all started with my mistake thinking he was on that Finals team. I was but a child and was mistaken.
NJRedman

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 am

billyjack wrote:
URI Rams fans are fine with Hurley. They had issues after the Fordham loss, but Rhody recovered and went on that great 5 week run, and now their fans are totally back on his side. And they don't want him to leave (though they understand if he takes the Georgetown job).

I'll take your word on that, as you would have a much better barometer on the attitudes of Rams' fans in the Ocean State than I do.

Over the past five seasons, I have read many uncomplimentary comments about Dan Hurley by Rams' fans, but I can appreciate that Rhode Island's first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1999 has significantly improved his popularity in Kingston. However, he still does not present himself as a classy representative of his university, and his attitude toward sportsmanship leaves a lot to be desired. On the 'plus' side, Georgetown can get him on the cheap:

URI Coach Hurley to make $1 million per year starting in 2017-18 season - Providence Journal - April 1, 2015
Hurley stands to make a guaranteed $1 million per season by 2017-18, a raise from his 2014-15 compensation package of $630,000. Hurley was one of the four lowest-paid coaches in the Atlantic 10 this season.

Hurley's base salary remains $300,000, a figure agreed to when he initially left Wagner for URI in 2012.

He will receive projected gate receipts from ticket sales totaling $540,000 in 2015-16, $590,000 in 2016-17 and $640,000 from the 2017-18 to 2020-21 seasons. Any shortfall will be covered by the URI Foundation, which has pledged $1 million over the next five years to help cover the cost of the contract. No additional state funds will be used.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board