The North Carolina bathroom law gave S. C. home court adv.

The home for Big East hoops

Postby SJU1987 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Heard it on The Mike Francesca show. He said they moved the tournament out of North Carolina to South Carolina and it probably cost Duke the game.
SJU1987

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The North Carolina bathroom law gave S. C. home court ad

Postby xusandy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Well, actually, the play of South Carolina cost Duke the game,and Chapel Hill is about the same distance to Greenville as is Columbia. There were more Duke fans in the stands than SC fans -- at least by fan apparel numbers. But then, all those loving UNC fans who hung around to see the nightcap rooted hard for SC over the team in their own league --by about 9-1 it seemed to me. In the Big East, it would've been about 9-1 FOR the team in our own league.
xusandy

Postby DeltaV » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:32 pm

xusandy wrote:Well, actually, the play of South Carolina cost Duke the game,and Chapel Hill is about the same distance to Greenville as is Columbia. There were more Duke fans in the stands than SC fans -- at least by fan apparel numbers. But then, all those loving UNC fans who hung around to see the nightcap rooted hard for SC over the team in their own league --by about 9-1 it seemed to me. In the Big East, it would've been about 9-1 FOR the team in our own league.

I've actually gotten crap or at least confused looks from people I know that I would root for Georgetown in a non-conference game. My parents went to Nova during the heyday of Big 5 doubleheaders, where two Philly teams would play and fans would nearly murder each other, and then another Philly team would play some poor out of town team and the entire Palestra would gang up on them. They taught me to root for the conference because it was good for the conference/Philly, even if it meant rooting for Georgetown or St. Joe's.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Michael in Raleigh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm

xusandy wrote:Well, actually, the play of South Carolina cost Duke the game,and Chapel Hill is about the same distance to Greenville as is Columbia. There were more Duke fans in the stands than SC fans -- at least by fan apparel numbers. But then, all those loving UNC fans who hung around to see the nightcap rooted hard for SC over the team in their own league --by about 9-1 it seemed to me. In the Big East, it would've been about 9-1 FOR the team in our own league.

My parents live in Greenville, SC, where I grew up, and I pass through Chapel Hill on the way to visit them. Chapel Hill is over twice as far from Greenville as is Columbia.

That said, the team beat Duke, not the crowd.
Michael in Raleigh

Postby MUPanther » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Every year Duke and North Carolina play the first two rounds in Greensboro, Raleigh, Winston-Salem or Charlotte. Should anyone really feel sorry for them.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Michael in Raleigh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm

MUPanther wrote:Every year Duke and North Carolina play the first two rounds in Greensboro, Raleigh, Winston-Salem or Charlotte. Should anyone really feel sorry for them.

No.
Michael in Raleigh

Postby anXUfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Michael in Raleigh wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Every year Duke and North Carolina play the first two rounds in Greensboro, Raleigh, Winston-Salem or Charlotte. Should anyone really feel sorry for them.

No.

Totally agree.
anXUfan

Return to Big East basketball message board