Syracuse fans really despise the ACC

The home for Big East hoops

Postby SJU1987 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 am

Go on the Syracuse basketball forums and read all the bad feelings they have towards the ACC. Many said they rooted for the old big east teams when they were in the BE and don't root for any of the ACC teams now.
SJU1987

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Syracuse fans really despise the ACC

Postby Edrick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am

I would too. The way that league is configured, its far more likely that they are to become Pittsburgh not UNC.

I wouldn't be all that surprised Mike Hopkins had similar thoughts in taking the Washington job. The Washington job, competing in a shallow Pac-12, simply is more likely to be ascendant. Syracuse has all the markers of a program that'll decline.
Edrick

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

Maybe it was mentioned elsewhere but in light of Hopkins leaving, Syracuse announced a contract extension for Boeheim.
ArmyVet

Postby SJHooper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 am

I despise the ACC as well and they have been awful this tournament for all the star power they have. Though down this year, they will unfortunately have plenty of years where they get tons of teams deep into the tourney. As I've said all along, we need to be more than just Villanova. Awesome jobs by X and Butler for making the Sweet 16, hopefully at least 1 goes to the Elite 8. We can't count on Nova to dominate every single year, they will have a down year here and there so we need to pick them up. Really impressed with X...after losing Sumner and Reynolds you guys just don't skip a beat. Unreal when you think about it. Thankfully, X has a terrific coach to make up for the lost key players.
SJHooper

Postby SJU1987 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Xavier and Butler are amazing. Under the radar programs that know how to win. Creighton will come back big time if Patton returns.
If Georgetown and St. John's can come back really strong we'd really be cooking. Nothing in college basketball would compare if those programs became top 10 programs again with Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence ,Butler, Xavier and Creighton continuing to play well.
SJU1987

Postby xusandy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Now that I think on it, Syracuse would NOT be a bad fit in the Big East -- a private university, with decent academics, within our geographical footprint but without overlapping over teams' fan base, a history of good bball, and obviously a lot of strong ties with the old Big East. The only clunker is football -- the 600 lb. gorilla in the room. I probably had not considered Syracuse before because of my disdain for that paragon of virtue, Mr. Boeheim (I can give you 50+ more descriptive adjectives of his character if you'd like!)
xusandy

Postby SJU1987 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Jim Boeheim hates the ACC. He'll always be Big East in my mind. Too bad the lunatic football fans and greed at Syracuse made them leave the Big East. I got a summer home right below Syracuse( there's 5 feet of snow blocking the front door !) and I'm angry at Syracuse for leaving. now I'm in enemy territory up there. Use to go into stores and chat Big East sports with the locals up there. So many non college types up there love Syracuse sports.
SJU1987

Postby DeltaV » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Agree with all of this. Syracuse football has been a lead weight for years...probably worse than UConn. They're nearly the Rutgers of the ACC; picked up mainly for a claim on NYC, but at least used to have a nationally respected basketball program (and I guess a ton of Syracuse grads working at ESPN)
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm

I would welcome S'cuse and UConn back as members, along with the "Saints" Bonnie and Louis. A 14 team BE would get 6-8 teams on the dance regularly. Perhaps S'cuse n UConn would bounce back as top tier teams in short order to bolster the leagues perception as a top conference. The Robinites will have circle up after 2 or more teams sign up...oh well - no great loss as the robinites can watch KU & the little 9.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Demon22 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 am

Gotta figure there are a lot of schools that have changed conferences fairly recently who are having second thoughts... Syracuse, BC, PIttsburgh, West Virginia, Rugters, etc.

Hey, throw in a couple of more schools (UConn, Cincinnati, Penn State?) and that's not a bad conference.
Demon22

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board