John Thompson III’s Salary Is Higher Than We Thought

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:22 am

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/20/149 ... ball-coach

....he data, a 990 form filed with the IRS from 2014 made public due to Georgetown’s status as a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, indicates that Thompson received a total of $3,671,620 from Georgetown in 2014.

Everyone was under the impression that he was making around 2.8M a year...these new numbers show that it is even more pathetic that a coach can be making that much and not be held accountable
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: John Thompson III’s Salary Is Higher Than We Thought

Postby xusandy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 pm

What a problem you guys have! A coach making a ton of $$, but with a slowly declining performance record over a number of years despite getting decent recruits -- well, that's a rather obvious sign it's time to change directions. BUT, the arena itself is named after the coach's iconic dad, and the icon sits on the sidelines at every game, and former star players are rallying 'round, and there isn't a more loyal coaching FAMILY in the history of NCAA hoops! I actually pity the poor AD in this situation -- he'll be hated whatever he does.

A good rule of thumb in life: Never ever name something important after someone who is still alive; the living can still embarrass you. In this case, JTII isn't an embarrassment himself, but just by being alive, he makes the situation much more embarrassing for the Hoyas. I feel for him too.
xusandy

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Almost 3.7 Mil per year... Nice!

Don't fire him. Allow the guy an opportunity to complete the job he started. Take the hoyers to the Grambling State level in hoops! Somebody's got to replace DePaul - my vote is for Georgetown! Go hoyer hangin' saxer players.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby paulxu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 am

I wonder if this information will help Jay Wright get a big raise.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby BEhomer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

hate to pile on but if they lose Waters then they might as well hit the reset button now. next year isn't going to be any better with more or less the same team. and you could be looking at 2-3 years of rebuilding.
BEhomer

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:08 pm

BEhomer wrote:hate to pile on but if they lose Waters then they might as well hit the reset button now. next year isn't going to be any better with more or less the same team. and you could be looking at 2-3 years of rebuilding.

I don't believe the "rebuild" is going to be as long as some of you anticipate.

The right guy is going to get this job and it will be someone the kids love a lot. The talent will be there NEXT year.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Return to Big East basketball message board