Butler Can Put The Final Nail In The ACC Coffin Friday Night

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Butler Can Put The Final Nail In The ACC Coffin Friday N

Postby milksteak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 am

You guys will surprised to learn that Butler actually owns a 2-2 record against UNC. Those two wins are from the two most recent times they've played each other.

12/20/1992: 103-56 UNC
1/24/1994: 104-64 UNC
11/20/2012: 82-71 Butler
11/26/2014: 74-66 Butler

This Butler team is much better than the two iterations that beat UNC. Those two UNC teams were pretty decent but not as good as this one though. The 2012-2013 squad was a #8 seed and made the Round of 32. The 2014-2015 team was a #4 seed and made the Sweet Sixteen.

Gonna be a tough one, but I like Butler's chances.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 am

The ACC really bailed us out. If it weren't for their epic flame out people would be talking about us. The ACC is lucky the refs gave the game to UNC or they could have been looking at an even bigger nightmare of no teams left after the opening weekend.
NJRedman

Postby sju88grad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

If the tournament held according to seeds, the Big East should only have 2 teams left....(Villanova and Butler)......we're right on target under that criteria....the ACC had 4 teams seeded 4 or higher and only one of those teams remain.....major failure....
sju88grad

Postby milksteak » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 am

sju88grad wrote:If the tournament held according to seeds, the Big East should only have 2 teams left....(Villanova and Butler)......we're right on target under that criteria....the ACC had 4 teams seeded 4 or higher and only one of those teams remain.....major failure....

True. But with that same logic, if you dig into it a little more, Villanova should still be in it until the Final Four at a minimum. Creighton should've beaten Rhode Island. Marquette, Providence, Xavier and Seton Hall were supposed to lose in the First Round, so they didn't underachieve or overachive (maybe First Four for Providence -- I guess it depends on how you look at it). Butler is right on the money.

So I hate to be a Debby-Downer, but we've definitely disappointed as a league so far. Butler and Xavier have a chance to redeem the conference.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Bigfishy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:54 am

Thank you Butler and Xavier for repping the Big East. Sorry about Nova going out early!!!
Bigfishy

Postby billyjack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 am

The ACC losses are bad enough for them, but it'scthe way they've lost them, the margin of defeat. 4 or 5 games they were completely obliterated and outclassed. Compare this with the Big-12's losses a couple of years ago, which included several last second miracles (i'm thinking of the Georgia State game for one).

In a related thought, it's why Villanova's national championship run was so impressive... they absolutely crushed Iowa, Miami (Fla) and Oklahoma.
Providence
billyjack

Postby H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm

billyjack wrote:The ACC losses are bad enough for them, but it'scthe way they've lost them, the margin of defeat. 4 or 5 games they were completely obliterated and outclassed. Compare this with the Big-12's losses a couple of years ago, which included several last second miracles (i'm thinking of the Georgia State game for one).

In a related thought, it's why Villanova's national championship run was so impressive... they absolutely crushed Iowa, Miami (Fla) and Oklahoma.

I'd say the Miami, FSU and UVA losses are by far the worst of the bunch, but I don't see 1 or 2 other games that would fit those parameters. All of them lost by at least 20 points and the games weren't even that competitive.

Which other ones did you have in mind?
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Postby alduflux » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm

herodotus wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:Speaking of putting the nail in the coffin this tournament should put the nail in the coffin for "Old Big East/New Big East Talk."
# Of Old Big East Teams in Sweet 16: 1(West Virginia)
# Of New Big East Teams in Sweet 16: 2

Let's not get silly now.
OBE, National Champions 2013, 2014, 2016. No league comes close, including the NBE.

If your going to give the OBE credit for Villanova last year then the NBE only has three teams in it, all of which made the tourney and two of which are still playing.

Fyi, thank god the C7 picked the right three teams to join the NBE.
alduflux

Postby billyjack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
billyjack wrote:The ACC losses are bad enough for them, but it'scthe way they've lost them, the margin of defeat. 4 or 5 games they were completely obliterated and outclassed. Compare this with the Big-12's losses a couple of years ago, which included several last second miracles (i'm thinking of the Georgia State game for one).

I'd say the Miami, FSU and UVA losses are by far the worst of the bunch, but I don't see 1 or 2 other games that would fit those parameters. All of them lost by at least 20 points and the games weren't even that competitive.

Which other ones did you have in mind?

Right, I wrote 4 or 5, but the losses I guess came in 3 categories:

Absolutely crushed:
Miami (Fla).
Florida State.
Virginia.

Competitive game, but playing from behind:
Notre Dame: trailed the entire game by around 8 to 10 to 12 points.
Wake Forest: trailed the entire game by 5 to 10 points.
Virginia Tech: trailed for final 32 minutes, within a few possessions throughout.

Competitive game, close loss:
Duke.
Louisville.

Competitive game, close win:
UNC.

In 5 of the losses, the ACC team trailed wire-to-wire... 200 minutes of gameplay down in a manhole.
In 1 loss, the ACC team trailed for the final 32 minutes.
So in these 6 losses, out of 240 minutes, the ACC team trailed for 232 of those minutes, or 96% of the gameplay. Wow.
Providence
billyjack

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Everybody Knows how much I LOVE Butler, and X. However, putting aside any partiality, favoritism, and biases -

Go Butler! Go Xavier! Represent us all well and Win!

Go Big East!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board