Wildcats Review

The home for Big East hoops

Wildcats Review

Postby OmahaGuy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Sucks to see these boys won't repeat. Anyways...

Losing:
*Josh Hart
*Kris Jenkins
*Darryl Reynolds
**Hart and Jenkins especially are major losses. They've provided so much to Nova over the past 4 years. Tip your caps to them.

Keeping:
*Phil Booth
*Jalen Brunson
*Mikal Bridges
*Eric Paschall
*Donte Divincenzo

Getting:
*Omari Spellman (I think he was a partial qualifier so that's why he didn't play). He was a 5-star in high school so you know this guys got big time talent.
*Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree (6'9 215 from Philly. Was offered by Providence, Syracuse, USC, Penn State, SMU, and Miami)
*Jermaine Samuels (6'6 205 from Franklin, MA. Definitely looks like a major get. Offered by Arizona State, Tennessee, Xavier, Pitt, Marquette, Georgia Tech, Miami, UConn, BC, Rhode Island, Providence, Georgetown, Indiana, DUKE, and KANSAS)

I don't think the Cats will be as good next season as they were this year (and these past years) but I could easily be wrong. Jay Wright is a stud.
OmahaGuy

Wildcats Review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wildcats Review

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:14 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:I don't think the Cats will be as good next season as they were this year.

Losing Josh hurts, but Kris Jenkins was a zero this season. He's a legend, sure, but 2017 version of Jenkins is not a big loss.

We may take a step back, but the ceiling is still final four level. A lot depends on how fast Omari can adjust to our system, and how much the rest of the guys improve. We're going to be a younger team, so I expect a few more losses in conference play.

2 major concerns to me are interior defense and outside shooting.
supernova
kayako

Postby DeltaV » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:Jay Wright is a stud.

I love the man...I thought he was a great coach when we used to see him just hanging out in the Pit during breakfast. But damn, he is a little too hands off sometimes. Maybe I'm just drunk and pissed rignt now, but we had a set play to win vs. UNC last year. We didn't have a set play beyond running Hart into the trees tonight?

Hart is a great guy; I hope he has a great career in the NBA. My wife will miss seeing Reynolds' guns on a regular basis...guess I need to hit the gym myself a little more :D Jenkins will forever be the one who got us #2.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby BEhomer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 pm

is brunson a lock to stay? not that i think hes a lottery pick or anything but how much more can he improve? if he comes back then i think they are still a tourny team.

jay needs to play his freshmen more. he should build his team towards march. i feel like this nova team was the same team they were beginning of the year while lot of the tourny teams got better as season went on.
BEhomer

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 pm

BEhomer wrote:is brunson a lock to stay? not that i think hes a lottery pick or anything but how much more can he improve? if he comes back then i think they are still a tourny team.

I'm assuming the Brunsons are fairly wealthy, so there's probably no rush to go pro if he isn't projected in the 1st round. Obviously we'll have a huge hole because he's our only legit PG, but man... tourny team? What are you smoking? Brunson can leave and we'd still be top 20, with him probably top 10...
supernova
kayako

Postby BEhomer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 pm

man how spoiled are nova fans when they get offended by someone calling them a tourny team. phil booth is a question mark. i like spellman but he has not played a single college game. even if they play all the freshmen that's still 7 8 man rotation.

potential is there but too many question marks.
BEhomer

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 pm

BEhomer wrote:man how spoiled are nova fans when they get offended by someone calling them a tourny team. phil booth is a question mark. i like spellman but he has not played a single college game. even if they play all the freshmen that's still 7 8 man rotation.

potential is there but too many question marks.

Hey, I am not offended, and I hope that didn't offend you in any way. But Nova will be preseason top 10. You can question whether Nova will live up to that, but we have less question marks than the vast majority of the country. Brunson can leave and we'll still be ranked.

btw Booth actually started practicing recently.
supernova
kayako

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Not worried ablut Nova, they are the standard for the league. Spellman will be huge inside and they still got Brunson, Paschall and Bridges. Divencenzo is a stud too.
Jet915

Postby sciencejay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Every team has question marks year to year. If they didn't, it would be Duke, UNC, KU and Kentucky as final four combatants every year. Those teams get the most blue chip recruits, the most one and done recruits. But it doesn't always come together. Chemistry is huge in team sports. In basketball, you need it on both ends of the court, and the requirements are different. Heck, with Jenkins this year--not the same guy as last year. But the one thing you have with Nova above almost every other program in the country is that Jay Wright knows how to recruit kids who will fit great into his system, and most importantly, will want to fit themselves into his system. To me, this is what sets him apart and is why Nova is so good every year.

I thought losing Arch would be enormous. But I think Brunson is actually better than Arch was. I don't think either of them has an NBA future, but they are superstars when on the court in a Nova uniform playing for JW. They both are truly perfect recruits--for him. Would either be/have been great with McD or another coach? Not sure, but again, that's where JW excels. He brings guys in to his program who are almost certainly going to succeed, and therefore, Nova will be successful as well.

That's the last nice thing I plan to say about Jay Wright :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
sciencejay

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 pm

supernova
kayako

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board