Add Dayton and VCU

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 73

Re: Add Dayton and VCU

Postby SJHooper » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:05 am

Edrick wrote:No one is EVER going to get an invitation with FBS football. And unlike UConn, Memphis' football looks like itll be viable long term. But you are right, the Big East isn't going to extend invitations to glorified community colleges either

Whenever I hear the jokes about Memphis and VCU academically, stones and glass houses come to mind...for me at least. As much as it pains me to say, SJ is notorious for accepting pretty much anyone for undergrad. I attended for graduate school and I noticed it was much more serious and rigorous, but I believe we are at the bottom by far in terms of undergrad academic prestige in the Big East and that's embarrassing. I know it's going to be taken the wrong way and it will be controversial, but IMO the best students who apply should be admitted instead of being diversity obsessed. I don't think it should be controversial but it is. I think SJ needs to take a serious look at how to make the school much more selective in admissions.

But not to get off topic, yes Memphis actually can succeed in football as they have demonstrated. They won't come here. I'd only try for UConn if they settle the football and maybe reach out to a school like Wake Forest who I know is a massive longshot due to their football money in the ACC, but they are never going to be a factor there. They are fit perfectly for the Big East.
SJHooper

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am

this is hilarious... Do they associate Big East schools with some wealthy, organic eating, elite fan base?
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 am

DudeAnon wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:What happens after Few retires?

What if he doesn't?

That doesn't mean he isn't immune to turning sour as well. Fact is, if Gonzaga tanks then they are an awful addition whereas DePaul and Georgetown still offer benefits regardless of their basketball failures.

Gonzaga is established.

That is the one addition that would make the Big East more $$$valuable$$$ to the networks.

It goes beyond a coach. They are an established brand name now. They would sweeten the Big East pot more than they would take from it. I can't say that for most of the teams. If they win the National Championship (which is a good possibility), the Zags will be everywhere.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Jet915 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 am

If Gonzaga wins the national championship, I wonder if it would change the Big East president's feeling about adding them, that would be a game changer.
Jet915

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 am

Gopher+RamFan wrote:The Richmond DMA is the biggest one in the country without a professional sports team or an FBD football program.

VCU has a $2 million/yr media rights deal. Put that against any other "expansion candidate". If ratings and media are a factor, VCU has the measurables against the other candidates outside of UConn.

VCU has the best track record of any candidate outside of Gonzaga.

VCU is located in the best recruiting grounds (Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina are 3 of the top 5 states for D1 basketball recruiting).

VCU has the best traveling fanbase of all the candidates, with a proven track record of showing up in NYC for a conference tournament.

VCU is truly a program: 4 coaching changes and havent missed a beat. $25 million dollar practice facility.

VCU has 30,000 students along with 15,000 employees. Its endowment is $1.6 Billion. It is a public research university, received over $250 million in sponsored research last year.

IF the private/public issue was not there, then it would be a no brainer. VCU (from what I know) would've been in good position to join when X did, but was opposed by Georgetown. Unsure if GU's recent downturn does anything to affect a change in that regard.

If the Big East will never accept a public then this is all a moot point. Hopefully VCU would then join WSU and Dayton in the AAC.

1. The Richmond DMA is ranked #55 nationally. That would put it second last in the Big East (ahead of only Omaha) and significantly behind a pair of expansion candidates- UConn and Saint Louis. Also, does the Providence DMA have pro sports or FBS football? Brown and URI are both FCS and I'm not sure who else they would have.

2. Congrats on outsourcing your media rights! It's probably a reason to stay put for now. I couldn't find any specific contract details, but based on articles it sounds like you guys get $2 mil per year. If they sell less than that, they lose out - if they sell more than that, they keep the rest (or at least a large percentage of it I'd imagine). Which means it would be a big win for Learfield if VCU joined the Big East, because they'd suddenly be selling a more valuable product but still only pay $2 mil per for it.

Georgetown, for example, has a media rights deal with Fox Sports that guarantees Gtown $1-3 mil per year based on performance and all revenue brought in by Fox Sports after the $3 mil is shared.

Seton Hall also works with Learfield and while I couldn't find contract specifics, from what I understand, they don't have any guaranteed rate - they just pay Learfield a commission on media sales. If true, that certainly gives them more risk than schools with deals like VCU and Georgetown, but also more potential reward as they get the majority of everything that comes in. I'm not sure about any other Big East schools but I'm sure there's plenty to find if you look.

3. UConn, Dayton, and Wichita State may disagree.

4. Along with Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest etc...

5. UConn is much better in this regard.

6. Nice practice facility and impressive records, even if against questionable competition. I'll reserve judgement until we see how Rhoades fares.

7. Doesn't exactly sound like a fit with the rest of the Big East schools.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
That doesn't mean he isn't immune to turning sour as well. Fact is, if Gonzaga tanks then they are an awful addition whereas DePaul and Georgetown still offer benefits regardless of their basketball failures.

Gonzaga is established.

That is the one addition that would make the Big East more $$$valuable$$$ to the networks.

Not only to the networks. They're a reliable producer of NCAA tournament units every year, which means more revenue for the conference.

It goes beyond a coach.

A coach who's only 53 and isn't going anywhere.

They are an established brand name now. They would sweeten the Big East pot more than they would take from it. I can't say that for most of the teams. If they win the National Championship (which is a good possibility), the Zags will be everywhere.

And the travel issues are overblown for everyone except Gonzaga. They don't seem to have a problem with it.
Bill Marsh

Postby RedStorm » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:42 am

Jet915 wrote:If Gonzaga wins the national championship, I wonder if it would change the Big East president's feeling about adding them, that would be a game changer.

If Gonzaga weren't on the other side of the earth, they would already be in the BE. They are the one midmajor whose entry would be MUTUALLY beneficial. And that is because they are a longtime elite program that has attained "major" status despite playing in a minor conference.

These other schools are essentially wanting the Big East to give their programs an uplift at the expense of the quality and prestige of the conference.
RedStorm

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am

RedStorm wrote:
Jet915 wrote:If Gonzaga wins the national championship, I wonder if it would change the Big East president's feeling about adding them, that would be a game changer.

If Gonzaga weren't on the other side of the earth, they would already be in the BE. They are the one midmajor whose entry would be MUTUALLY beneficial. And that is because they are a longtime elite program that has attained "major" status despite playing in a minor conference.

These other schools are essentially wanting the Big East to give their programs an uplift at the expense of the quality and prestige of the conference.

Agreed, it's pretty simple: If you need us more than we need you, you're not a good candidate.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Dwon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 pm

'God is good'
'People make plans ,God laughs':))))
Dwon

Postby EMT » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:30 pm

The longer this thread stays up the higher the No %.......
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board