Add Dayton and VCU

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 73

Re: Add Dayton and VCU

Postby Dwon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:37 am

we had no first four exits. but we are the only team to EVER go from first four to final four though. One of the best parts of VCU_Hoops' Final Four run was watching public reaction videos. A fav:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Gh7F9phEBs

Epic video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqw0ChfpDZY
Last edited by Dwon on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dwon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 am

Dwon wrote:we had no first four exits. but we did go from first four to final four though. One of the best parts of VCU_Hoops' Final Four run was watching public reaction videos. A fav:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Gh7F9phEBs

You're right, I forgot that as of last year they stopped calling the 1st Four the "first round" and round of 64 the "second round." It doesn't change my point though.

And yes, we all know about your one magical season. It's a great memory for you guys and point in VCU history, but hardly relevant 7 years and 2 coaches later.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby FDS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:57 am

Can we shelve this discussion? The votes are in... VCU troll has reminded us of the 1 time they made the Final 4... Can we let him go home now?
FDS

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:47 am

The Richmond DMA is the biggest one in the country without a professional sports team or an FBD football program.

VCU has a $2 million/yr media rights deal. Put that against any other "expansion candidate". If ratings and media are a factor, VCU has the measurables against the other candidates outside of UConn.

VCU has the best track record of any candidate outside of Gonzaga.

VCU is located in the best recruiting grounds (Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina are 3 of the top 5 states for D1 basketball recruiting).

VCU has the best traveling fanbase of all the candidates, with a proven track record of showing up in NYC for a conference tournament.

VCU is truly a program: 4 coaching changes and havent missed a beat. $25 million dollar practice facility.

VCU has 30,000 students along with 15,000 employees. Its endowment is $1.6 Billion. It is a public research university, received over $250 million in sponsored research last year.

IF the private/public issue was not there, then it would be a no brainer. VCU (from what I know) would've been in good position to join when X did, but was opposed by Georgetown. Unsure if GU's recent downturn does anything to affect a change in that regard.

If the Big East will never accept a public then this is all a moot point. Hopefully VCU would then join WSU and Dayton in the AAC.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am

VCU fans. There are many arguments to be made for your inclusion. But to call it a "no-brainer" is an insult to our intelligence. You guys are making Dayton trolls blush with your confidence.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Gopher+RamFan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am

DudeAnon wrote:VCU fans. There are many arguments to be made for your inclusion. But to call it a "no-brainer" is an insult to our intelligence. You guys are making Dayton trolls blush with your confidence.

I dont know the other poster, however ive been here since this board started. Ive read posts all these years from X, SJU, PC and Butler fans saying that VCU would've been a slam dunk "no brainer" addition if they had been private. I guess that I went yo far by assuming that would mean if an inclusion of a public school was not an issue, it would be the same result: no brainer. I borrowed the idea and phrase from Big East posters on this board.

Currently, the Big East does not have to expand at all. It has all the power to pick from basketball only schools. The Big East does not have to have an integrative negotiation with the expansion candidates, the conference can be selective. In a few years, the climate may change. Im very interested from a business standpoint (just took one of Dr. McCabes classes at McDonough) and its piqued my interest in negotiations/posturing in conference realignment.
Gopher+RamFan

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 am

DudeAnon wrote:VCU fans. There are many arguments to be made for your inclusion. But to call it a "no-brainer" is an insult to our intelligence. You guys are making Dayton trolls blush with your confidence.

If VCU was private in 2013- 2 years after the final 4 and Shaka Smart still there and winning a lot(remember the 2 years after the final 4- they were 12 seed in '12 and then a 5 seed in '13)- it totally would have been a no brainer. Great location, program totally on the upswing, popular nationally, etc. It would have allowed the league to have 10 with no geographic outliers at all. And I think Fox would have pushed really hard for VCU quite frankly in that situation.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:25 pm

While I'm in no way in any rush to expand, the school that still really intrigues me is Saint Louis. It has strong facilities, brings a great media market (a fantastic sports town), and is a like minded institution. It's certainly a gamble as the school is struggling with financial issues at the moment and has little history of basketball success, but I think SLU could have the highest upside of any candidate not named UConn. Of course, we could get stuck with another DePaul - that's the gamble, but I see a like minded institution in a major city with zero high level basketball competition. I know their attendance isn't great now, but a bad A10 team isn't exactly something to get excited about. They drew well a few years ago when the team was winning. Travis Ford has already done a great job recruiting and I have a feeling combining that recruiting with high major conference affiliation could make that program explode.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Hall2012 wrote:While I'm in no way in any rush to expand, the school that still really intrigues me is Saint Louis. It has strong facilities, brings a great media market (a fantastic sports town), and is a like minded institution. It's certainly a gamble as the school is struggling with financial issues at the moment and has little history of basketball success, but I think SLU could have the highest upside of any candidate not named UConn. Of course, we could get stuck with another DePaul - that's the gamble, but I see a like minded institution in a major city with zero high level basketball competition. I know their attendance isn't great now, but a bad A10 team isn't exactly something to get excited about. They drew well a few years ago when the team was winning. Travis Ford has already done a great job recruiting and I have a feeling combining that recruiting with high major conference affiliation could make that program explode.

I agree.

I'm also not dead set against Gonzaga.

If they win this tournament, I think the Big East should weigh the bad geography with all the positives their inclusion would bring to the conference. It would be a no-brainer in my book, and it would give the Big East the last two champions.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:55 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:While I'm in no way in any rush to expand, the school that still really intrigues me is Saint Louis. It has strong facilities, brings a great media market (a fantastic sports town), and is a like minded institution. It's certainly a gamble as the school is struggling with financial issues at the moment and has little history of basketball success, but I think SLU could have the highest upside of any candidate not named UConn. Of course, we could get stuck with another DePaul - that's the gamble, but I see a like minded institution in a major city with zero high level basketball competition. I know their attendance isn't great now, but a bad A10 team isn't exactly something to get excited about. They drew well a few years ago when the team was winning. Travis Ford has already done a great job recruiting and I have a feeling combining that recruiting with high major conference affiliation could make that program explode.

I agree.

I'm also not dead set against Gonzaga.

If they win this tournament, I think the Big East should weigh the bad geography with all the positives their inclusion would bring to the conference. It would be a no-brainer in my book, and it would give the Big East the last two champions.

What happens after Few retires? Any school is viable to become a DePaul, having one that far away would be rough.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board