Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 73

Re: Add Dayton and VCU

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:58 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Dwon wrote:Whatever...Can't believe some of you tie religion with basketball.It really just shows how shallow you are. You ought to stop

Get off your high horse. This conference is built on like-minded schools, in big metropolitan cities, with a clear mission within athletics towards elite men's basketball. I suppose the B1G is, too, shallow for only looking at land-grant universities with AAU membership huh? Clearly, the Ivy League is also shallow for only allowing elite academic, selective enrollment, universities within the conference as well too?

Great picture. Could they have put that kid's face on TV any more often during that game? :lol:
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Dwon wrote:I don't believe that religious school qualification. People want to see great basketball, not religious aaaffiliation.Go to church for that.They added Creighton's because their extraordinary large TV market and extraordinary large arena.it was a money move not to mention Creighton's was a hot team at the time with mcdermott. Guess you don't need a long history to join... Its not about the past, its the future that matters and they are clearly projecting that. This is not a religious thing and it never was in the big east , it was a football thing. So don't make it out to be something its not.

Amen
Go Nova
Dave

Postby Irishdawg » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:Well this post is a little more funny to look back at now...

Both schools lost their coaches. Speaks to what the A10 is.

And the Big East has lost only one coach to another job since it reorganized in 2013 - Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech. So much for not being a power conference... :lol:

and I'd argue that was at least partially because Buzz Williams is Buzz Williams and not because Marquette's a worse job than Va. Tech.
Irishdawg

Postby Dwon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Gotta tell you,the A-10 had 7 religious schools when Butler and Xavier were in it and we did just fine. 6 tourney bids that year.

Glad Archie miller left too because that gives us more leverage in winning our conference. Something that Dayton does not have is a top 20 recruiting class. Even after the coaching change, 3 of the 4 commits said they are not going anywhere and sticking with Ramnation.

Don't mean to sound like I'm begging for your approval but either way, VCU(the Gonzaga of the East coast) and the BE are winning any way you look at it.
Dwon

Postby Edrick » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:28 pm

VCU is not remotely comparable to Gonzaga. It would literally take a generation at their current level. There's been a lot of VCUs, that pop up for a time. Hell, the program they probably remind me most of is a early-to-mid 2000s Southern Illinois, who've been absysmal since then. But the Creighton fans would be able to speak better to that.
Edrick

Postby Dwon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:48 pm

When I say VCU is the Gonzaga of the East coast I mean VCU, like Gonzaga and Wichita State are basically “sweet spot” programs with large recruiting and spending advantages over the majority of their conferences. They are the Dukes and Kansas’ of the WCC, MVC and A-10 and are willing to pay coaches even more than what many power conference coaches are being paid, but also offer a much easier path to consistent winning (let’s be honest). They are as Will Wade would say, “at the top of the food chain” in their respective conferences and thanks to recent success and more TV exposure for non-power conference teams, are grabbing more hoops headlines than even their BCS counterparts, not to mention top-100 recruits that once stayed away from those types of schools.

In short, coaches at those three schools can all win, get paid and do both with half the stress of available jobs the like ones I previously mentioned.
Dwon

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:51 am

This thread must be a curse, since it was created both Dayton and VCU have lost their head coaches.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Dwon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 am

VCU has proved that it only gets better at one position and that's the coaching position
Jeff Capel left for the elite Oklahoma job, failed and has been Coach K's assistant at Duke ever since

Anthony Grant left for the Alabama job, failed and became assistant at Florida for Billy Donavan and now is assistant coach at the Oklahoma city Thunder.

Shaka Smart left for the Texas and has showed us that he has failed there.

Will Wade great x's and o's guy ,took off for the LSU job because he's from the deep south and left because he's in love with the culture,food,etc that they have down there. Will wade is the second youngest coach in basketball right now, 34.Coach Rhoades is 44

VCU AD says school 'met all' of Will Wade's requests before coach decided to take LSU job

As you can see the AD is committed to keeping an elite status and have proven that by building basketball,a $25 million practice facility that is second to none in the country [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etz1uvTXh6k].Now they have hired Mike Rhoades who was the assistant coach to Shaka Smart during the legendary first 4 to final four run. He's went out in public and stated how much he loves it here and that hes been on this ride for a long time but the ride ends here.
Last edited by Dwon on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dwon

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:27 am

It's been widely reported that the AAC plans to add Wichita State without football. In their commitment to building a high profile basketball conference, I wonder if they'll go beyond that and add VCU as well. :?
Bill Marsh

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:29 am

I hope VCU does well, I root for all non-P5 schools. But don't kid yourself, everytime you have to hire a new coach you are taking a risk. And thats not even counting potential lost recruits.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board