Add Dayton and VCU

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 73

Re: Add Dayton and VCU

Postby EMT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 am

Dwon wrote:VCU is the Gonzaga of the east coast.On the other hand ,The big east went from the best basketball conference to not even a power 5 in a matter of a year.Latest word on the streets Dayton , VCU and WSU are moving to the AAC.The catholic 7.Ahhhh ,as I crack open my sprite and grab the popcorn.

And UConn, Cincy and SMU still want out.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:50 am

Dwon wrote:VCU is the Gonzaga of the east coast.On the other hand ,The big east went from the best basketball conference to not even a power 5 in a matter of a year.Latest word on the streets Dayton , VCU and WSU are moving to the AAC.The catholic 7.Ahhhh ,as I crack open my sprite and grab the popcorn.

Sprite might be good for you now...so please back away from whatever you were drinking when you wrote this...
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 am

wait a second, there's someone on here who makes me look like a homer for the Big East? Wow, I have seen it all.

VCU as Gonzaga of the east? I don't think so. VCU would need 10 more years of doing well- and actually better than they have been doing- to get to where Gonzaga is right now.
stever20

Postby Dwon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:58 am

Alright, I'm a Big East fan too, maybe not Homer but

the VCU Rams have that legendary first four to final 4 2011 Final four run. Many said they weren't even supposed to get in the tournament.

VCU has made it to the A-10 title game for the last 5 years since it joined. Ahem ,hello Butler and Xavier fans. 12 consecutive title games if you include when they were in the CAA.

Only 10 schools have made NCAA tournament appearances the last 7 seasons: Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga, Wichita State, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Wisconsin, Duke, Iowa State and VCU

The team won at least 24 games, VCU and Kansas are the only NCAA schools to reach that feat the last 10 seasons. Hard to do

NATIONAL CHAMPS 1997-2016

UConn (x4)
Duke (x3)
Kentucky (x2)
UNC (x2)
Florida (x2)
Louisville
Kansas
Michigan State
Syracuse
Villanova
Maryland

Do that math Homer
Last edited by Dwon on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dwon

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:04 am

VCU making it to A10 title game last 5 years speaks more to the A10 than anything else.

VCU's problem(and folks here know I like VCU)- compared to Gonzaga is just length. VCU has been good for 7 years. Gonzaga is going on 18 years now. Actually they are sort of similar to where Gonzaga was mid 00's. Only differences- only 1 coach for Gonzaga, and by this point 6 years post initial NCAA tourney run- Gonzaga was getting 2 or 3 seeds. VCU not.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:40 am

VCU has 1 Sweet 16 in their history. X has 6 in the last 10 years.

The more I think about it the more I am starting to reconsider. Just frustrated from our tournament woes.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Dwon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 pm

When I say VCU is the Gonzaga of the East coast I mean VCU, like Gonzaga and Wichita State are basically “sweet spot” programs with large recruiting and spending advantages over the majority of their conferences. They are the Dukes and Kansas’ of the WCC, MVC and A-10 and are willing to pay coaches even more than what many power conference coaches are being paid, but also offer a much easier path to consistent winning (let’s be honest). They are as Will Wade would say, “at the top of the food chain” in their respective conferences and thanks to recent success and more TV exposure for non-power conference teams, are grabbing more hoops headlines than even their BCS counterparts, not to mention top-100 recruits that once stayed away from those types of schools.

In short, coaches at those three schools can all win, get paid and do both with half the stress of available jobs the like ones I previously mentioned.
Dwon

Postby Xudash » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Dwon wrote:Alright, I'm a Big East fan too, maybe not Homer but

the VCU Rams have that legendary last four in to final 4 2011 Final four run. To many they weren't even supposed to get in the tournament.

VCU has made it to the A-10 title game for the last 5 years since it joined. Ahem ,hello Butler and Xavier fans. 12 consecutive title games if you include when they were in the CAA.

Only 10 schools have made NCAA tournament appearances the last 7 seasons: Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga, Wichita State, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Wisconsin, Duke, Iowa State and VCU

The team won at least 24 games, VCU and Kansas are the only NCAA schools to reach that feat the last 10 seasons. Hard to do

NATIONAL CHAMPS 1997-2016

UConn (x4)
Duke (x3)
Kentucky (x2)
UNC (x2)
Florida (x2)
Louisville
Kansas
Michigan State
Syracuse
Villanova
Maryland

Do that math Homer

Hey there sport.

Conference titles in the CAA mean nothing here. Bids by conference: BE = 242, A10 = 148, CAA = 38. Forget the conference realignment impact. Those numbers are telling.

Conference titles in the current A10 also carry less value, as Xavier and Temple are long gone as members: VCU is playing in a watered down A10, and it is showing.

Xavier in the NCAA: Xavier has appeared in the NCAA Tournament 27 times; 11 times in the last 12 years.

You should consider the important idea of comparing apples to apples when you take a shot at doing "math".

Dude, all of this is your fault for overreacting and starting this stupid thread.

Strategic moves aren't made through emotional and reactionary circumstances. However, dumb moves have been made through such circumstances.

At least you won't have a chance to embarrass yourself in Ponte Vedra Beach next May over all this. I presume you're beginning to understand that recent NCAA Tournament results (2016 NC and 2017 7-bid/2-S16 recent performance), MSG conference tournament results, and still growing TV viewing data on Fox have no one - NOBODY - in NYC panicked. It doesn't mean they're not keeping their eyes on things. They just know that it's about steady as she goes at this point.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Dwon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:54 am

Last edited by Dwon on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dwon

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 am

It amazes me how fast these expansion threads fill up on pages and after all of it we are still sitting at 10 teams.
XU
JohnW22

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board