Add Dayton and VCU

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 73

Re: Add Dayton and VCU

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Jet915 wrote:This exactly. These schools will always be available, what's the rush?

Whats the wait?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 pm

I think we have to see how far Xavier and Butler advance before really answering.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:17 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Jet915 wrote:This exactly. These schools will always be available, what's the rush?

Whats the wait?

I dont know, u see something wrong with getting 7 of 10 teams in the tournament?
Jet915

Postby muskienick » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 am

DudeAnon wrote:

Whats the wait?

I believe there are far too many Big East fans who want to see how the UConn situation plays out before anything else is considered. Under the right set of circumstances (and constraints), I can see where UConn could be added while still maintaining the Round Robin nature of our Conference scheduling. I don't see any negative relating to playing teams a second or third time during the same season. Even with the unbalanced schedule, we'd have to play some teams twice (and possibly a 3rd time during the Conference Tourney). Most fans WANT to see Villanova, Georgetown, et al on their home floors every season. That's how true rivalries are developed. Furthermore, what's wrong with developing new strategies to provide the opposition with looks they previously didn't see when playing your team. If anything, it makes each team tougher to scout and tougher to anticipate. XU, my team, is far better prepared now that it has worked in a variety of zones into their defensive repertoire to complement their Man-to-Man defenses.

Simply put, we have a great thing going for us now. No other Conference in the nation got more invitations to "The Dance" than the Big East did (by percentage). Furthermore, we have proven that the Round Robin Conference schedule works for us (and it keeps everyone on a more equal basis). I hated the unbalanced schedule that we had to play as members of the A-10, especially when we had to play the Fordhams, Duquesnes, or LaSalles a second time (for RPI reasons). I also did not like the fact that no two members' schedules were equal in quality because of having to play Butler and Xavier twice while other competitive members are playing the likes of those previously-mentioned three current members of the A-10.

Unless we can attract UConn back to the Big East under our conditions, I do not see any advantage of bringing in 2 or three other candidates. Like others have pointed out, had they been worthy (and compatible), they would already have been in the Big East for four seasons now!
muskienick

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:58 am

Not to be a dick, but I think UD, VCU and WSU are better programs than half the conference.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby BEwannabe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 pm

I love your support Dude and UD and VCU are great programs and fan bases and as much as I would like to see it happen I don't think expansion is in the works. I don't for 1 minute believe there is any validity in UD to AAC as I think UD would only go that direction if we're left with a fully loaded gun to our head (VCU leaving A10). Fox? Again UD and VCU would add very good content but I seriously doubt Fox is willing to up the price. Frankly expansion talk is more about what we don't know than what we know despite your friend, xudash claims. Lots of big egos around, big schools with traditions & big media companies all jockeying for $$'s and anyone that can find their ass with both hands knows anything is possible when big egos and big money are at play.

What I do know is UD is about to announce another renovation to the UD Arena, a 2 year 50-60mil project along the lines of what Michigan did with their Crisler Center. I think the announcement will come either this week or next week and in terms of basketball we'll have basically an entire new team next year.
BEwannabe

Postby Xudash » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm

BEwannabe wrote:I love your support Dude and UD and VCU are great programs and fan bases and as much as I would like to see it happen I don't think expansion is in the works. I don't for 1 minute believe there is any validity in UD to AAC as I think UD would only go that direction if we're left with a fully loaded gun to our head (VCU leaving A10). Fox? Again UD and VCU would add very good content but I seriously doubt Fox is willing to up the price. Frankly expansion talk is more about what we don't know than what we know despite your friend, xudash claims. Lots of big egos around, big schools with traditions & big media companies all jockeying for $$'s and anyone that can find their ass with both hands knows anything is possible when big egos and big money are at play.

What I do know is UD is about to announce another renovation to the UD Arena, a 2 year 50-60mil project along the lines of what Michigan did with their Crisler Center. I think the announcement will come either this week or next week and in terms of basketball we'll have basically an entire new team next year.

Nick hit the nail on the head. Taking UCONN out of it for a moment - as an obvious potential player in this - the basic idea with expansion centers on optimization. Best available means nothing. Reacting to what other non P5 programs are doing means nothing.

Are the BE leaders locked in at 10 forever and with no questions? Of course not. This conference realignment "stuff" is ongoing and anyone with a clue knows that. The key to success with it is knowing/understanding your relative position. Yes, it's a fluid situation and it must be dealt with as such. It just happens to not be flowing right now, GIVEN THE BE's VISION.

We're coming off a 2016 NC and 7/10 in the 2017 NCAAT with 2 advancing to the S16. No one in their right mind would conclude that adding two mid-major programs now makes strategic sense. UD and VCU both have program strengths, but they clearly don't warrant inclusion at this point. Bewannabe points out UD's renovation of the Dump and that's great for UD, and VCU has invested as well, but every BE program is investing in facilities at this point, or have done so recently.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby xsteve1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Nonsense...No and No. :oops:
xsteve1

Postby NJRedman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 pm

DeltaV wrote:Expansion I would think would work... The 13 team conference I've heard mentioned. 6 home and away, 6 once. 3 permanent rivals, other three rotate.

Add Dayton (because we all need that annoying little brother), St Louis (so DePaul isn't the bottom team anymore), and Davidson (because f--- the ACC). Keep it private.

I'd go with a different 3. VCU, Dayton and SLU.
NJRedman

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:25 pm

NJRedman wrote:
DeltaV wrote:Expansion I would think would work... The 13 team conference I've heard mentioned. 6 home and away, 6 once. 3 permanent rivals, other three rotate.

Add Dayton (because we all need that annoying little brother), St Louis (so DePaul isn't the bottom team anymore), and Davidson (because f--- the ACC). Keep it private.

I'd go with a different 3. VCU, Dayton and SLU.

I've gone on record saying adding a great mid-major program wouldn't dilute the Big East "Brand" at all, but adding 3 simultaneously may do just that. We had no choice but to add 3 with X, Creighton, and Butler, but there's no reason to do so at the moment.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board