Add Dayton and VCU

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes : 73

Re: Add Dayton and VCU

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 pm

EMT wrote:The longer this thread stays up the higher the No %.......

And yes stays at 6.
Wizard of Westroads

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Welp. Good thing Val ignored me on this one. Since this thread was started both schools lost their head coaches and are likely missing the NCAA tournament. Dayton went the alumni route that many of our BE peers have gone in hiring Anthony Grant. Only problem is Grant has a track record of failure and that doesn't seem to of changed as they are 6-7 right now. VCU has lost every big game they have played but are at least a respectable 9-5. Will be interesting to see how each program fares in the future.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Xudash » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:29 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Welp. Good thing Val ignored me on this one. Since this thread was started both schools lost their head coaches and are likely missing the NCAA tournament. Dayton went the alumni route that many of our BE peers have gone in hiring Anthony Grant. Only problem is Grant has a track record of failure and that doesn't seem to of changed as they are 6-7 right now. VCU has lost every big game they have played but are at least a respectable 9-5. Will be interesting to see how each program fares in the future.

I don't want to get too much into all this at this point, given that we just entered conference play, but the one thing I'll mention here and now is what I've mentioned in the past, which is that UD has not demonstrated an ability to make consistent, consecutive good decisions when it comes to having to transition to a new coach. UD was beginning to make a little headway under Archie Miller, but it is firmly back into a position of mediocrity with Grant.

Beyond that, the A10 as a conference is an absolute dumpster fire and will be very hard pressed to recover. Losing Xavier, Temple and Butler (though it was only there for one year, it would have added nicely had it stayed) was simply too much for that conference to remain a sustainable 6/7 RPI product. Couple that with the AAC's pick-up of Wichita State, and the A10 now finds itself in a very bad place moving forward.

So, we - the Big East - is back to where we've been recently, a NC under our BE belt, many, many NCAAT Units building up, a strong conference rep, many multiple bids likely again, improving TV numbers, and a little less than 3 months of beating the snot out of each other, and enjoying that ride along the way.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby milksteak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Xudash wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Welp. Good thing Val ignored me on this one. Since this thread was started both schools lost their head coaches and are likely missing the NCAA tournament. Dayton went the alumni route that many of our BE peers have gone in hiring Anthony Grant. Only problem is Grant has a track record of failure and that doesn't seem to of changed as they are 6-7 right now. VCU has lost every big game they have played but are at least a respectable 9-5. Will be interesting to see how each program fares in the future.

I don't want to get too much into all this at this point, given that we just entered conference play, but the one thing I'll mention here and now is what I've mentioned in the past, which is that UD has not demonstrated an ability to make consistent, consecutive good decisions when it comes to having to transition to a new coach. UD was beginning to make a little headway under Archie Miller, but it is firmly back into a position of mediocrity with Grant.

Beyond that, the A10 as a conference is an absolute dumpster fire and will be very hard pressed to recover. Losing Xavier, Temple and Butler (though it was only there for one year, it would have added nicely had it stayed) was simply too much for that conference to remain a sustainable 6/7 RPI product. Couple that with the AAC's pick-up of Wichita State, and the A10 now finds itself in a very bad place moving forward.

So, we - the Big East - is back to where we've been recently, a NC under our BE belt, many, many NCAAT Units building up, a strong conference rep, many multiple bids likely again, improving TV numbers, and a little less than 3 months of beating the snot out of each other, and enjoying that ride along the way.

I'm fine with both teams being the place they are now. VCU fans are some of the most obnoxious and insecure people in college sports, and they have a ridiculous inflated sense of self-worth. I don't have that much experience with Dayton fans, but I'll never forget the boisterous boos they gave a ref after they hard-fouled and nearly paralyzed Rotnei Clarke in 2013.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Who was the joker that always argued that the Big East should add St. Bonaventure, solely to be the bottom feeder of the league, but also to help prop up the top?
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Nildogg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm

. VCU fans are some of the most obnoxious and insecure people in college sports

*Xavier fans
Nildogg

Postby thebigeXpress » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:33 pm

Nildogg wrote:
. VCU fans are some of the most obnoxious and insecure people in college sports

*Xavier fans

Not a surprising sentiment(sour grapes?) considering the loss tonight at the Cintas. Now, had Butler won Xavier may have the best fans in the Big East.
thebigeXpress

Postby Nildogg » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 am

Never. Image
Nildogg

Postby ThrowDownDBrown » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 am

Nildogg wrote:Never. Image

If the situation was reversed and Xavier had a dog mascot that did this at Butler the amount of crying coming from your fan base would be laughable. But faux class is just part of the Butler way.
ThrowDownDBrown

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 am

ThrowDownDBrown wrote:
Nildogg wrote:Never. Image

If the situation was reversed and Xavier had a dog mascot that did this at Butler the amount of crying coming from your fan base would be laughable. But faux class is just part of the Butler way.

+1. That picture is incredibly disrespectful to the university but so you see us bitching and moaning? Butler fans are snowflakes.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board