NCAA-R2: Villanova v Wisconsin 2:40pm, 3/18/2017...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA-R2: Villanova v Wisconsin 2:40pm, 3/18/2017...

Postby EMT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:I was hoping our 2nd round bug-a-boo was a thing of the past, apparently not. I have extremely high confidence in Nova in any other round than the 2nd, especially has a higher seed. Doesn't help that 9 out of 10 times we seem to get an under seeded team, a really hot team, or a horrible match-up. Plus when we crash out we never seem to play anything close to our best game, sick of these B- type games in the 2nd round.

I just didn't like Nova's sets in the last few minutes. Driving 1 on 3 or 4 and hoping for a foul call if tough. Jenkins and Bridges killed them today.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:04 pm

EMT wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:I was hoping our 2nd round bug-a-boo was a thing of the past, apparently not. I have extremely high confidence in Nova in any other round than the 2nd, especially has a higher seed. Doesn't help that 9 out of 10 times we seem to get an under seeded team, a really hot team, or a horrible match-up. Plus when we crash out we never seem to play anything close to our best game, sick of these B- type games in the 2nd round.

I just didn't like Nova's sets in the last few minutes. Driving 1 on 3 or 4 and hoping for a foul call if tough. Jenkins and Bridges killed them today.

Jenkins being cold really hurt, anything we get out of Bridges offensively is bonus at this point. He has potential and tools to be a good scorer, but he's not there yet. Wisconsin just hit more tough or contested shots than we did. They shot 53% to our 41%, they just played better today. Sad we play B- game and still only lose by 3, beyond frustrating.
Westbrook#36

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm

EMT wrote:I just didn't like Nova's sets in the last few minutes. Driving 1 on 3 or 4 and hoping for a foul call if tough. Jenkins and Bridges killed them today.

It's not the last few minutes. Villanova has been an isolation-heavy offense the entire season. It showed today with only 5 assist against a team that packed the paint.
supernova
kayako

Postby jfan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Honestly, mid-season we had 1 great team 3 very good teams and 3 other good teams. Because of injuries, going into the tournament, we had one great team, one very good team and 5 other good teams. The injuries caused us to lose a lot of potential for multiple deep runs. Our ultimate seedings suggested only 2 S16 teams. If X and Creighton had not suffered injuries, we probably would have had four top 4 seedings. Nova's loss hurts, but I hope X and Butler can carry the day. Other football 5 conferences have had worse tournaments and have not been demoted to mid-major status. Thank God for Nova last year and we will continue to get better results in the tournament with the success the league is having in recruiting!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby EMT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:10 pm

kayako wrote:
EMT wrote:I just didn't like Nova's sets in the last few minutes. Driving 1 on 3 or 4 and hoping for a foul call if tough. Jenkins and Bridges killed them today.

It's not the last few minutes. Villanova has been an isolation-heavy offense the entire season. It showed today with only 5 assist against a team that packed the paint.

I see you have a V next to your name so you know more about Nova than me, but there is iso and forcing bad shots in the lane when triple teamed. You guys don't win 32 games this year with those iso sets from today.
EMT

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:Wisconsin just hit more tough or contested shots than we did. They shot 53% to our 41%, they just played better today. Sad we play B- game and still only lose by 3, beyond frustrating.

Sorry, I can't agree here. It's not like Wisconsin got lucky by hitting a few tough shots they normally don't make. Their starting 5 is just, uh, better than Nova's. If we had won, it would've been a stolen win with Koenig and Happ in foul trouble.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:21 pm

EMT wrote:I see you have a V next to your name so you know more about Nova than me, but there is iso and forcing bad shots in the lane when triple teamed. You guys don't win 32 games this year with those iso sets from today.

The last play was probably just poor vision on Josh's part, and against lesser defenders probably gets foul called there.
supernova
kayako

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 pm

kayako wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:Wisconsin just hit more tough or contested shots than we did. They shot 53% to our 41%, they just played better today. Sad we play B- game and still only lose by 3, beyond frustrating.

Sorry, I can't agree here. It's not like Wisconsin got lucky by hitting a few tough shots they normally don't make. Their starting 5 is just, uh, better than Nova's. If we had won, it would've been a stolen win with Koenig and Happ in foul trouble.

I can't agree with you, and where did I say Wisconsin got lucky??? They shot and played better today. No way is Wisconsin's starting 5 isn't better than Nova's, far from it, although they played better today. Last time I checked foul trouble was part of the game, just like shots not falling are.
Westbrook#36

Postby kayako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:I can't agree with you, and where did I say Wisconsin got lucky???

I thought you were alluding to the FG% gap and chalking it up as their A game vs our B game.
supernova
kayako

Postby DeltaV » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
kayako wrote:

I can't agree with you, and where did I say Wisconsin got lucky??? They shot and played better today. No way is Wisconsin's starting 5 isn't better than Nova's, far from it, although they played better today. Last time I checked foul trouble was part of the game, just like shots not falling are.

Wisconsin forced Nova into their style of game. They hit their shots, and kept Nova from getting out and running in transition. Plus, the refs allowed mugging (on both sides, but benefited Wisconsin more). Running Hart into the heart of the beast was about the stupidest thing we could have done on the last possession.

I'm off to get shitfaced drunk now...
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board