NCAA-R2: Villanova v Wisconsin 2:40pm, 3/18/2017...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA-R2: Villanova v Wisconsin 2:40pm, 3/18/2017...

Postby paulxu » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

This game really hurt. It's like ESPN can't get enough of it.

It's a shame we couldn't get 3 teams in S16.

Sorry for you Nova guys. Wisky did exactly the same thing to us last year.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Westbrook#36 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 pm

kayako wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:I can't agree with you, and where did I say Wisconsin got lucky???

I thought you were alluding to the FG% gap and chalking it up as their A game vs our B game.

Wasn't implying luck. They hit the shots they needed to hit to win the game, Nova didn't, but they played much closer to their A game than we did.
Westbrook#36

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 am

Broke my heart as well as my brackets. Really like this team. A lot. Thought they'd go deep again. :cry:
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 am

kayako wrote:
EMT wrote:I see you have a V next to your name so you know more about Nova than me, but there is iso and forcing bad shots in the lane when triple teamed. You guys don't win 32 games this year with those iso sets from today.

The last play was probably just poor vision on Josh's part, and against lesser defenders probably gets foul called there.

It was great D. He tried to make his patented spin move and they had it covered with the double team.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:It was great D. He tried to make his patented spin move and they had it covered with the double team.

Turns out the play was supposed to run through Brunson, but Wisconsin smartly pressed Nova into having to have someone else make the play.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Broke my heart as well as my brackets. Really like this team. A lot. Thought they'd go deep again. :cry:

I think it was you who thought we'd miss Ochefu and I agreed. I didn't think Nova was the best team in the country, but I was expecting a sweet 16 appearance. So very disappointing. We made so many more mistakes than Wisconsin did, but was in position to win because of their foul trouble. Jay's got some soul searching to do, because his system is very one dimensional. Clearly established pattern is that we're always one front court injury/ineligibility away from disaster. How does a top 20ish major program have this issue of lacking bodies? I am sick of seeing Randy Foye and Josh Hart having to get tough rebounds in the paint and guard power forwards and predictably wear down late season.
supernova
kayako

Postby DeltaV » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Broke my heart as well as my brackets. Really like this team. A lot. Thought they'd go deep again. :cry:

I think it was you who thought we'd miss Ochefu and I agreed. I didn't think Nova was the best team in the country, but I was expecting a sweet 16 appearance. So very disappointing. We made so many more mistakes than Wisconsin did, but was in position to win because of their foul trouble. Jay's got some soul searching to do, because his system is very one dimensional. Clearly established pattern is that we're always one front court injury/ineligibility away from disaster. How does a top 20ish major program have this issue of lacking bodies? I am sick of seeing Randy Foye and Josh Hart having to get tough rebounds in the paint and guard power forwards and predictably wear down late season.

Well, with regards to the short bench, the NCAA screwed us with the Spellman situation, and we weren't expecting Booth to get injured. In an alternate universe, Villanova plays 9 this year, repeats easily, and Painter redshirts instead of looking horribly awkward.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:09 pm

I feel good enough to post now... cuz yesterday I almost wept after the upset.

NovaNation, stand strong! I was quietly scared of this matchup. Always feared Wisconsin. Oh well, at the end of the day Nova has two championships Wisconsin doesn't have. Unless you wanna count their Pre-WWII championship

I had Villanova as the National Champion on my bracket. It's all good though. Lets go BIG EAST!!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby JohnW22 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Duke losing makes this hurt a little more.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 am

kayako wrote:

Yes, I did think that Ochefu was a key to their run last year - more important than his numbers showed. Nonetheless, I picked them to goall the way this year. I began to worry late in the season when they lost to Butler, struggled in the BET against Seton Hall, and then looked bad in the first half against Mt St Mary's. Those other teams just looked hungrier - which is understandable. It's hard to repeat.

BTW, Wisconsin also ended Xavier's season last year in another low scoring 3-point game.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board