Pirates Review

The home for Big East hoops

Pirates Review

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:43 pm

The Pirates had another excellent season. Next season is looking pretty good too!

Losing:
*Madison Jones

Keeping:
*Angel Delgado
*Khadeen Carrington
*Desi Rodriguez
*Ish Sanogo
*Mike Nzei
*Myles Powell
*Eron Gordon

Getting:
*Myles Cale (6'4 195 from Middleton, DE. Doesn't seem like a big get. Only had other offers from Delaware and LaSalle according to Verbal Commits.)

The Hall better be recruiting hard this offseason. A year from now they'll be losing Sanogo, Rodriguez, Carrington, and Delgado. The pressure is on.
OmahaGuy

Pirates Review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Pirates Review

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 pm

I know I shouldn't say this and it's the last thing Seton Hall fans want to hear but I have to think it would be a shame if next years senior class would go out without a win in the tournament. A question regarding next year, what's Seton Halls chances for Duval? Seems like they have a good chance and if they get him they're a top 2 team in the Big East.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Myles Cale is a bigger get than you think. He's a 4-star recruit ranked #62 in the ESPN 100 rankings.

The real game changer would be if they can land Trevon Duval, who's the #4 ranked 2017 prospect and the top remaining uncommitted player. That would give them a starting lineup of the 4 returning seniors with a surefire 1 and done freshman at point guard. With Myles Powell, Myles Cale, and Mike Nzei as impact players off the bench, that could be an amazing team.

Of course the other side of that coin is if they don't get Duval and Angel Delgado leaves early. Delgado said after the game today that he'll consider his future over the next few weeks, though he did add that he's currently leaning towards returning to school. However in this worst case scenario, Seton Hall could really struggle next year.

In the 3rd scenario, where Delgado stays and they don't get Duval, I expect similar things to this year. They'll be a bubble/borderline tournament team with the same flaws as this year plus the lack of a true point guard (unless they can pull in a different capable freshman or grad transfer).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:35 pm

JohnW22 wrote:I know I shouldn't say this and it's the last thing Seton Hall fans want to hear but I have to think it would be a shame if next years senior class would go out without a win in the tournament. A question regarding next year, what's Seton Halls chances for Duval? Seems like they have a good chance and if they get him they're a top 2 team in the Big East.

We'll see, there seems to be reason for optimism and his visit apparently went really well, but what visit doesn't? We were apparently the first school to offer him and Myles Powell is one of his best friends, so hopefully those factors play a role. Other than that, what do we offer that Duke doesn't?

Duval has made it very clear that he plans to be a 1 and done and that his school choice will be a business decision to audition for the NBA. We offer him a team of seniors that's just a point guard away from being a legitimate contender. We also offer him the NYC media market, easy access for NBA scouts to attend games, and something no other league can offer - almost every game he plays will be on national TV.

So as a business decision, we seem like a good option. But we're still competing with 3 blue bloods.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Adding Duval would improve them somewhat, but more importantly I think the rest of the guys need to come back improved shooters. I think the Pirates were very fortunate this year with the record they achieved. Hopefully Cale can add to the team with or without Duval.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 pm

kayako wrote:Adding Duval would improve them somewhat, but more importantly I think the rest of the guys need to come back improved shooters. I think the Pirates were very fortunate this year with the record they achieved. Hopefully Cale can add to the team with or without Duval.

I think adding Duval would improve the team a ton. Just look at Seton Hall from this year to last year. Despite the extra experience this year, last year's team was far better and that was because of Isaiah Whitehead. No disrespect to Madison Jones, but he doesn't create for his teammates the way Whitehead did and isn't a threat to score from the pg position, essentially leaving the Pirates playing 3 on 5 on offense with both he and Sanogo on the floor.

Duval would bring back everything they lost from Whitehead and possibly more, being a scoring threat himself and getting better shots for guys like Carrington and Rodriguez.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am

I wouldn't overlook Powell's potential to emerge as a star. Pretty damn good freshman year.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I wouldn't overlook Powell's potential to emerge as a star. Pretty damn good freshman year.

I agree, but he's not a point guard. If either he or Carrington was a point guard, they'd be in good shape. They've both gotten minutes at the 1 this year, but are both much more comfortable at the 2.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Cale is a top 100 recruit. If they get Duval, it can be a special year. As long as everyone returns, they should be good.
Jet915

Postby sciencejay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
kayako wrote:Adding Duval would improve them somewhat, but more importantly I think the rest of the guys need to come back improved shooters. I think the Pirates were very fortunate this year with the record they achieved. Hopefully Cale can add to the team with or without Duval.

I think adding Duval would improve the team a ton. Just look at Seton Hall from this year to last year. Despite the extra experience this year, last year's team was far better and that was because of Isaiah Whitehead. No disrespect to Madison Jones, but he doesn't create for his teammates the way Whitehead did and isn't a threat to score from the pg position, essentially leaving the Pirates playing 3 on 5 on offense with both he and Sanogo on the floor.

Duval would bring back everything they lost from Whitehead and possibly more, being a scoring threat himself and getting better shots for guys like Carrington and Rodriguez.

The importance of a quality point guard cannot be overstated.
sciencejay

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board