Friars Review

The home for Big East hoops

Friars Review

Postby OmahaGuy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Ouch. Well that was an ugly end to the year for Providence. Anyways, this was a surprising year. Not sure anyone expected PC to be back in the tourney after losing Dunn and Bentil. Ed Cooley has proven that he's a damn good coach and led the Friars to the tournament once again for the 4th consecutive season. How about a 5th time next season??

Losing:
Nobody! (At least of significance)

Keeping:
*Kyron Cartwright (He had a breakout year)
*Emmit Holt (I like what I see out of him)
*Jalen Lindsey
*Rodney Bullock
*Isaiah Jackson
*Ryan Fazekas
*Maliek White
*Alpha Diallo
*Kalif Young

Getting:
*Dajour Dickens (6'10 205 from Hampton, VA. Seems like a good grab. Had offers from Creighton, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Memphis, Temple, UCF, and Clemson)
*Nate Watson (6'8 250 from Arlington, VA. Seems like a MAJOR get. Had offers from KANSAS, NC State, Miami, Maryland, St. Joe's, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest, Marquette, and Florida State)

As long as Ed Cooley is the coach and the Friars have good talent, they'll always be a tough out.
OmahaGuy

Friars Review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Friars Review

Postby ProvidenceNJ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Posted on our board.

"While it ended with a pretty sour note, this turned out to be one of my more enjoyable seasons as a Friar. My expectations were admittedly low (in retrospect clearly too low), but they have exceeded them and done so in a way that suggests next year will be even better.

For a team picked 9th in the conference, we wound up 3rd, won 20+ for the 4th straight year and made the NCAA tournament for four straight seasons. These are unprecedented levels of consistent success for a program that saw some very dark days just before this run. Best of all, this is a team led almost entirely by juniors and freshmen. We have not had this kind of depth returning in more than a decade.

We will be trotting out (hopefully) our entire squad who know full well that it will be their last shot at a big run in the postseason. We will be adding a top 100 PF and top 150 center to a team who just got exposed due to their lack of interior size. Our three promising freshmen will all have time to work on their games and move from role players to major contributors. And don't think for a second the way this game and the BET ended won't motivate these guys all offseason. The Focus Machine will be set to 10 from now until mid-November."
ProvidenceNJ

Postby JohnW22 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Nobody on Providence blows you away and when you look at their roster you won't be overwhelmed or worried but next year I'm not looking forward to playing them.
XU
JohnW22

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:41 am

is Bullock one of those guys that could be a graduate transfer guy? I mean, he's been around now for 4 years. I despise the rule, but it is what it is.
stever20

Postby BigmanU » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:40 am

stever20 wrote:is Bullock one of those guys that could be a graduate transfer guy? I mean, he's been around now for 4 years. I despise the rule, but it is what it is.

Even if he was eligible, Why would you bring this up?

He's in a great situation already!
BigmanU

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 am

The Friars won 20 games for the 4th year in a row. First time they've done that in 40 years since the Gavitt days when they won 20+ 8 years in a row (71-78).
Bill Marsh

Postby JohnW22 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 am

stever20 wrote:is Bullock one of those guys that could be a graduate transfer guy? I mean, he's been around now for 4 years. I despise the rule, but it is what it is.

In these scenarios most people know before the season is over if they're going to take advantage of the the 5th year transfer rule.
XU
JohnW22

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 am

JohnW22 wrote:

In these scenarios most people know before the season is over if they're going to take advantage of the the 5th year transfer rule.

I don't think anyone can get surprised by any transfer any longer.

Guys that are graduate transfer types like i'm assuming Bullock are ones that get more likely because of the moronic rule that allows them to play right away.
stever20

Postby EMT » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am

Bullock did not participate in senior day this year. Kris Dunn did last year. I'm not sure that Bullock is graduating this year which I think makes him ineligible for a 5th year transfer.
EMT

Postby gosports1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:55 pm

disappointing end for sure. after I thought about it more clearly cant really complain. no one expected to get to the tourney at start of the season or even the start of February. this team gave us a taste of success (maybe do to some luck, that usually with PC is bad) which made us want more. Realistically a 20 win season and tourney berth may have been the most we could have asked for
gosports1

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board