Just be happy

The home for Big East hoops

Just be happy

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 pm

One of the positives in all this is with the money the C7 plus teams will more likely start adding sports again. they definitely will not be doing this any more.

This is the reality of low major athletics

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html

personally i think the Div 1 boom will soon bust. You have to many smaller non-premier institutions jumping up to Div 1 and trying to compete with Basketball and Football. They can not maintain it. There are no profits for these schools and even many bigger schools are sinking under the weight of football. Add in the potential Student loan bubble bursting and state budget crunches and I think you will see alot more programs being dropped and smaller public schools shifting back to Div 2.
BillEsq

Just be happy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Just be happy

Postby ljay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:24 pm

In Omaha, the University of Nebraska-Omaha had a long history of pretty top notch D2 football and a D2 wrestling program that was one of the best in D2. They have had a releatively successful D1 hockey program for a while now. A couple years ago they ditched football and wrestling pretty much out of the blue to jump up to D1 in all other sports with the stated goal of the basketball program would support the athletic budget by being bought the entire non-con.

I have always been incredulous of this business model. Send your basketball team on the road for 10 of 12 non-con's to get their brains beat in by Michigan State and whatnot for a $100,000 paycheck per. WTF?!?!!?! We then get 32 conferences and in half of them the team that qualifies for the NCAA has zero chance of winning a game...but they get the paycheck. That's a messed up system. 347 D1 basketball schools and MAYBE 200 of them play at the D1 level.
ljay

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:36 pm

ljay wrote:In Omaha, the University of Nebraska-Omaha had a long history of pretty top notch D2 football and a D2 wrestling program that was one of the best in D2. They have had a releatively successful D1 hockey program for a while now. A couple years ago they ditched football and wrestling pretty much out of the blue to jump up to D1 in all other sports with the stated goal of the basketball program would support the athletic budget by being bought the entire non-con.

I have always been incredulous of this business model. Send your basketball team on the road for 10 of 12 non-con's to get their brains beat in by Michigan State and whatnot for a $100,000 paycheck per. WTF?!?!!?! We then get 32 conferences and in half of them the team that qualifies for the NCAA has zero chance of winning a game...but they get the paycheck. That's a messed up system. 347 D1 basketball schools and MAYBE 200 of them play at the D1 level.

Damn strait ljay, let's pull the ladder up from behind us, screw the poor, we want our 4 mil/ year and we want it NOW!!!! :lol: :lol:
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby ljay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Nope, I was saying that long before any BE talk. There are 150 schools who have no business playing D1 basketball. They have a business model of getting bought for non-con games to support their athletic department. It's the damned business model that is so ridiculous.

It's really rather pathetic when you see this cannon fodder come to your arena and get blitzed by 40 or so. The thing is everyone continues to buy them so I don't see it changing any time soon. A self-perpetuating phenomenon...higher $$ amounts needed to bring in cannon fodder begets more cannon fodder converting to D1 basketball begets higher $$ amounts needed to................
ljay

Return to Big East basketball message board