NCAA: Seton Hall v Arkansas - Fri 1:30pm 3/17/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA: Seton Hall v Arkansas - Fri 1:30pm 3/17/17

Postby Toronto Rapture » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm watching the games on TSN in Toronto. Hearing Sam Mitchell and the TSN crew trying to defend that call is disgusting. What a jackass.
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Toronto Rapture wrote:I'm watching the games on TSN in Toronto. Hearing Sam Mitchell and the TSN crew trying to defend that call is disgusting. What a jackass.

Webber's the opposite.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:48 pm

kayako wrote:
Toronto Rapture wrote:I'm watching the games on TSN in Toronto. Hearing Sam Mitchell and the TSN crew trying to defend that call is disgusting. What a jackass.

Webber's the opposite. Still a dumb/lazy way to foul by Rodriguez.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:49 pm

They certainly had their chances, but they by all means should have had 1 more. Unfortunately the refs took it from them. Ridiculous that they chose to decide the game themselves instead of letting the players do it. It seemed all game that they were favoring Arkansas, but that call removed any doubt. Disgusting.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Seton Hall gave great effort, just had terrible execution. Even with the 15 turnovers, you get 20 offensive rebounds and put up 10 more shots, you should win the game.

I get why the officials called it the way they did, and I guarantee they called it that way because they wanted to move on in the tourney as well (by the letter of the rule, it was the right call, but obviously there needs to be some leeway for them to adjust for game situations and intent). Not saying I agree with it (I don't), but that's not the refs fixing a game.

Creighton needs to get things rolling in a positive direction again.
Irishdawg

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Irishdawg wrote:Seton Hall gave great effort, just had terrible execution. Even with the 15 turnovers, you get 20 offensive rebounds and put up 10 more shots, you should win the game.

I get why the officials called it the way they did, and I guarantee they called it that way because they wanted to move on in the tourney as well (by the letter of the rule, it was the right call, but obviously there needs to be some leeway for them to adjust for game situations and intent). Not saying I agree with it (I don't), but that's not the refs fixing a game.

By the "letter of law" refs blow 99% of those calls at the end of a game. Fortunately, the 99% are by good refs who have the common sense to call it by the "spirit of the game" instead. Unfortunately, we didn't have good refs tonight.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:Seton Hall gave great effort, just had terrible execution. Even with the 15 turnovers, you get 20 offensive rebounds and put up 10 more shots, you should win the game.

By the "letter of law" refs blow 99% of those calls at the end of a game. Fortunately, the 99% are by good refs who have the common sense to call it by the "spirit of the game" instead. Unfortunately, we didn't have good refs tonight.

If those refs don't make that call, they don't ref another game in the rest of the tourney. It's that simple.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:14 pm

I was able to catch the last 4 minutes.

Not sure how the first 36 minutes of the game was called... did they whistle touch fouls?, or just let them play...? not sure. But what I saw, they allowed Barford (?) to repeatedly reach in around the back of the Seton Hall ball-handlers... twice the ball came free, hard to believe there was no contact especially since he had his hand on the dribblers' backs... anyway, one resulted in a steal and a layup (Hall had a 1 point lead) and another just went out of bounds...

...they also allowed a lot of contact on Carrington's and Jones's (maybe) missed layups with like a minute left. Also, on Kingsley's last minute layup, it looked like Delgado (with 4 fouls) was terrified of breathing on the guy...

On the flagrant, easily the worst call I've seen all year, especially looking at the circumstances. The play went from a 1-and-1 situation I think, to a 2-shot foul plus the ball.

Joke.

Figures that Stever20 would defend the dimwit refs.
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

stever20 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:

If those refs don't make that call, they don't ref another game in the rest of the tourney. It's that simple.

Yeah, figures you'd defend the dimwit refs making the worst call of the season. Freakin guy dove like a soccer player.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:18 pm

billyjack wrote:I was able to catch the last 4 minutes.

Not sure how the first 36 minutes of the game was called... did they whistle touch fouls?, or just let them play...? not sure. But what I saw, they allowed Barford (?) to repeatedly reach in around the back of the Seton Hall ball-handlers... twice the ball came free, hard to believe there was no contact especially since he had his hand on the dribblers' backs... anyway, one resulted in a steal and a layup (Hall had a 1 point lead) and another just went out of bounds...

...they also allowed a lot of contact on Carrington's and Jones's (maybe) missed layups with like a minute left. Also, on Kingsley's last minute layup, it looked like Delgado (with 4 fouls) was terrified of breathing on the guy...

On the flagrant, easily the worst call I've seen all year, especially looking at the circumstances. The play went from a 1-and-1 situation I think, to a 2-shot foul plus the ball.

Joke.

Figures that Stever20 would defend the dimwit refs.

I missed the end of the game due to work conflict, but earlier in the game, they were calling it tight. Just like the PC game. I hate this stuff because they penalize teams that actually play defense.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board