Re: NCAA Tournament - Selection Sunday

Postby Jet915 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:47 pm

jfan wrote:I was surprised at Creighton's 6. Thought they would be a 7. The way CU has been going, it is very hard to predict what will happen, but that is the tournament. Brackets that look tough end up being easier because of upsets. I think that we have a chance to get more than two in the S16, but our teams obviously will have to play very well and we need some breaks. We also have a chance to only get 1 team in the S16. I hope not, but you never know.

Looking at the seeds list-
Nova 1
Butler 13
Creighton 24
Seton Hall 34
Marquette 39
Xavier 41(last team with a bye)
Providence 42(1st team in FF)

Creighton was right on that 6/7 line.

You really wonder if Xavier hadn't won the game vs Butler if they would have been in right now. Undoubtedly they would have been if in going to Dayton.

Looking at where Rhode Island was(#44), if they had lost vs VCU, Providence would not be going to Dayton right now.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
kayako wrote:A lot of bracketologists predicted 68/68 this year. Fairly predictable field made easier by RI winning today.

URI was in regardless of whether they won the tournament. The Committee Chair was quoted this morning that the at large selections were complete. That was before the A10 championship game. That meant that both VCU and URI were going, the championship game loser as an at large.

Not necessarily. They could have had an either or situation, if Rhode Island wins, they're in with Providence going to Dayton, or if Rhode Island loses, they're out, Providence is seeded in the regular bracket, and Illinois St the first team out goes to the tourney.
stever20

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 am

Bill Marsh wrote:URI was in regardless of whether they won the tournament. The Committee Chair was quoted this morning that the at large selections were complete. That was before the A10 championship game. That meant that both VCU and URI were going, the championship game loser as an at large.

I was aware of the at-large bids all taken, I made a post about it in another thread. But unless I'm missing something, it still left the door open for RI to replace the 36th team if they were outside the bracket?
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:16 am

BEhomer wrote:Nova has to go thru Wisconsin, Virginia, Duke. Sounds daunting. However, it could also be Va Tech, Florida, Baylor. You never know. One thing you do know the bracket never holds.

It held for Nova last year with one exception being Oklahoma instead of Oregon. Nova and Kansas got fucked last year too, just to "protect" North Carolina in the East. I hate the way #2 seeds are assigned...
supernova
kayako

Postby EMT » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 am

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
kayako wrote:A lot of bracketologists predicted 68/68 this year. Fairly predictable field made easier by RI winning today.

URI was in regardless of whether they won the tournament. The Committee Chair was quoted this morning that the at large selections were complete. That was before the A10 championship game. That meant that both VCU and URI were going, the championship game loser as an at large.

Not necessarily. They could have had an either or situation, if Rhode Island wins, they're in with Providence going to Dayton, or if Rhode Island loses, they're out, Providence is seeded in the regular bracket, and Illinois St the first team out goes to the tourney.

The field was set. AQs can't go to Dayton so Providence/URI were swapped.
EMT

Postby novahoops11 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:38 am

JohnW22 wrote:Nova fans thoughts on your region? Looks um...fun

Ask the region their thoughts on Nova.

My thoughts?

novahoops11

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 am

stever20 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

They said the at large picks were done. Having an either/or situation would have been normal but it would mean that the final picks weren't settled, one was still to be determined. At least that's how I read it.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:43 am

kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:URI was in regardless of whether they won the tournament. The Committee Chair was quoted this morning that the at large selections were complete. That was before the A10 championship game. That meant that both VCU and URI were going, the championship game loser as an at large.

I was aware of the at-large bids all taken, I made a post about it in another thread. But unless I'm missing something, it still left the door open for RI to replace the 36th team if they were outside the bracket?

Then it would mean all the at large bids weren't all taken. No? They had options but the final picks wouldn't have been determined until they had the outcomes of Sunday's games.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board