NCAA Tournament - Selection Sunday

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Tournament - Selection Sunday

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 am

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:The committee seems intent to have us non P5 conferences knock each other out and clear the path...

Thanks for your well wishes, there's a little luck involved with getting that extra team in the bracket.

Gotta disagree with your point about the committee. 5 of 10 members are ADs from mid-major schools and Gonzaga got unquestionably the easiest draw among the #1 schools. It is ridiculous to assume both Wichita State and Dayton would have advanced if they weren't facing each other. 1 team is guaranteed to advance now. BTW Dayton once again received home court advantage... what exactly are you complaining about?
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:06 am

Fair point- I didn't realize mid majors/non P5 made up that much of the selection committee. I would take slight issue that at least one of us is guaranteed to advance as a plus. I think both could hold their own against just about anyone (color me biased). On the Indy venue- your spot on- its a home game for us.

Anyway good luck.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:12 pm

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:I would take slight issue that at least one of us is guaranteed to advance as a plus. I think both could hold their own against just about anyone (color me biased).

Anyway good luck.

Between St. Mary's, Dayton, Wichita State, and VCU, it's highly unlikely that all 4 would have advanced. Let's rearrange the bracket so the mid-majors (these are clearly high-major programs btw) don't face each other:

St. Mary's(7) vs. Oklahoma State(10)
Dayton(7) vs. Marquette(10)
Wichita State(10) vs. Michigan (7)
VCU(10) @ South Carolina (7)

How confident are you that the four "mid-majors" come out of this 3-1 or 4-0? I mean yeah, it's possible, but having 2 mid-majors guaranteed to advance doesn't strike me as means to reduce mid-major population ASAP. And as mentioned, I'd be shocked if the committee members were discussing how to screw non-football schools. Now where I agree with you is non-football vs non-football isn't as exciting as non-football vs. football 5. It's an easy rooting interest.

Anyway yeah good luck to the A-10 as well. I'll be rooting for Dayton and VCU this week, but sorry gotta go with Creighton vs. Rhode Island :D
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board