Red Storm Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Red Storm Review

Postby hoops22 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 am

I don't think we are overreacting. Matt has pretty much been all alone on the recruiting trail the past year. Mullin has not been as active as we had hoped, nor Mitch Richmond. The NY/NJ area is rich with recruits in the 2018 class, and it is Matt who has established all the relationships to this point. This is a key class for us, and losing Matt would set us back a long way, perhaps irreparably with many of these recruits. Slice is still getting paid more than any assistant, to not coach. Richmond also reportedly is paid more than Matt. As is typical with St. John's, it's a f'd up situation.
hoops22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:00 am

hoops22 wrote:I don't think we are overreacting. Matt has pretty much been all alone on the recruiting trail the past year. Mullin has not been as active as we had hoped, nor Mitch Richmond. The NY/NJ area is rich with recruits in the 2018 class, and it is Matt who has established all the relationships to this point. This is a key class for us, and losing Matt would set us back a long way, perhaps irreparably with many of these recruits. Slice is still getting paid more than any assistant, to not coach. Richmond also reportedly is paid more than Matt. As is typical with St. John's, it's a f'd up situation.

Okay. So you guys are alums. Pony up the money to keep Matt. Make a donation with strings attached. Be part of the solution. That would be cool. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby hoops22 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am

Terrific suggestion. The checks in the mail.
hoops22

Postby SJHooper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:33 am

I'm 27 I don't exactly have the type of influence a guy like Mike Repole would who is a billionaire. I think many SJ outsiders are forgetting that we already lost Slice, so to lose Matt who is doing literally all the recruiting, yes it would be a disaster and no it's not overreacting. You can't grow as a program if people only use you as leverage to get more money elsewhere or if players stay 2 years then bolt to Turkey. We need commitment to the program...at Nova you sense players have that pride for the program...they want to give the fans something to be proud of. Jay Wright has probably turned down tons of amazing offers under the radar, because this is the best fit for him and he's committed. At St. John's I just don't sense it. I believe Mullin is committed but not the assistants (Slice obviously and now maybe Matt) or most of the players. It's like dating a girl just to use her...you aren't truly committed. You just used her to fulfill a biological need. That's what it's like here. And of course most girls would be frustrated in that scenario.

As someone else said, the longer this plays out, the more concerning it becomes. Matt is a very active Twitter user and he's constantly posting about trusting the process, being committed, dedicated, and always spoke about how this is his home and it's his "dream job". So that only makes fans more frustrated...you have a guy you think will ride or die for SJ after Slice left only to hear that he's flirting with LSU before we even have a .500 record or make an NIT. I could understand if we were a consistently great team in the top 15 and a few Elite 8 appearances over 10 years and he felt his work was done and wanted to take on a new challenge, but he came here knowing we had to build from the ground up and he didn't even pick up a hammer yet then considers abandoning the project.
SJHooper

Postby BEhomer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 am

one thing I trusted with Mullin is his ability to put a staff together since he's had experience managing a pro team. he's done that with Slice and Matt A to start off. and I like the young guy who runs practice for him. (seems to have good reputation)

He just needs to find another guy to recruit. and get more involved himself. Didn't he promise he will spend a lot of time in high school gyms?
BEhomer

Postby NJRedman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:52 am

SJHooper wrote:Serious rumors that Matt A may follow Wade. This is disgusting. Matt JUST got his freaking DREAM job and tells us to "trust the process" and be patient, now he's close to bolting? We haven't even made an NIT yet. And he's halfway out the door. If he leaves he will be public enemy #1 around here. Not to mention the perception of the program...Slice and Matt A both jump ship right after being hired? What does that say about our program? If there is one word that hits the nail on the head for our program, it's instability. Players use us as a vehicle for the NBA and money overseas with no commitment to the program itself and coaches use us as leverage to get more money elsewhere. In the past few years alone, Jordan is gone, Obekpa is gone, Brown is gone, Sampson is gone, Thomas is gone, Sima is gone, Lavin is gone, Slice is gone, Matt A might be gone, and I'm sure I'm forgetting about 10 others. Yes, it's the nature of the beast to some extent, but it happens WAY to regularly with us. Where is the loyalty these days? Where is the commitment? Of course many will say "you'd do the same and look for more money" but that is NOT true. If I was making 500k to go on recruiting visits, go on vacations, and sit on the sidelines without coaching at all during games, I'd think I died and went to heaven. If I was coaching at SJ I would be committed and you could offer me 1 mil. to go to some big football school in the country, but I'd still stay. There's more than money...if the fit is right and the money is still solid, it's fine. To the others who will say "stop freaking out he may stay", even if he does stay, this hurts our perception and shows people this is not a destination place, but a stepping stone. It also continues the amazing levels of instability here.

Hi i'm college sports, have we met yet?

BTW Lavin was FIRED! Go take some prozac, it's only basketball you still have to get up and go to work everyday.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am

SJHooper wrote:I'm 27 I don't exactly have the type of influence a guy like Mike Repole would who is a billionaire. I think many SJ outsiders are forgetting that we already lost Slice, so to lose Matt who is doing literally all the recruiting, yes it would be a disaster and no it's not overreacting. You can't grow as a program if people only use you as leverage to get more money elsewhere or if players stay 2 years then bolt to Turkey. We need commitment to the program...at Nova you sense players have that pride for the program...they want to give the fans something to be proud of. Jay Wright has probably turned down tons of amazing offers under the radar, because this is the best fit for him and he's committed. At St. John's I just don't sense it. I believe Mullin is committed but not the assistants (Slice obviously and now maybe Matt) or most of the players. It's like dating a girl just to use her...you aren't truly committed. You just used her to fulfill a biological need. That's what it's like here. And of course most girls would be frustrated in that scenario.

As someone else said, the longer this plays out, the more concerning it becomes. Matt is a very active Twitter user and he's constantly posting about trusting the process, being committed, dedicated, and always spoke about how this is his home and it's his "dream job". So that only makes fans more frustrated...you have a guy you think will ride or die for SJ after Slice left only to hear that he's flirting with LSU before we even have a .500 record or make an NIT. I could understand if we were a consistently great team in the top 15 and a few Elite 8 appearances over 10 years and he felt his work was done and wanted to take on a new challenge, but he came here knowing we had to build from the ground up and he didn't even pick up a hammer yet then considers abandoning the project.

Go be a Villanova fan then.

Matt A might leave because he is really good friends with Wade. This isn't just for the money. Who are you or anyone else to dictate to a grown adult about how they should live their lives? This is their lives, both players and coaches. This is your ENTERTAINMENT!!! These people should always do whats best for them and we should respect their decisions. Yeah, you can get bummed but they have no obligation to YOU and YOUR happiness.

You're 27, maybe it's time to grow up and be an adult.
NJRedman

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
SJHooper wrote:If there is one word that hits the nail on the head for our program, it's instability.

If there's one word that hits the nail on the head for your posts, it's instability.

That's it, Wizard! "Instability" is the word for him. "Product of his environment," based on a basketball program. LOL Just more foolishness. I've been a St. John's fan longer than he's been living, and I'm not even sweating this rumor or situation. I've also recently spoken to two other St. John's fans who are long time fans, and both of the persons are taking it in the same manner as I.
Red Rooster

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm

NJRedman wrote:
SJHooper wrote:I'm 27 I don't exactly have the type of influence a guy like Mike Repole would who is a billionaire. I think many SJ outsiders are forgetting that we already lost Slice, so to lose Matt who is doing literally all the recruiting, yes it would be a disaster and no it's not overreacting. You can't grow as a program if people only use you as leverage to get more money elsewhere or if players stay 2 years then bolt to Turkey. We need commitment to the program...at Nova you sense players have that pride for the program...they want to give the fans something to be proud of. Jay Wright has probably turned down tons of amazing offers under the radar, because this is the best fit for him and he's committed. At St. John's I just don't sense it. I believe Mullin is committed but not the assistants (Slice obviously and now maybe Matt) or most of the players. It's like dating a girl just to use her...you aren't truly committed. You just used her to fulfill a biological need. That's what it's like here. And of course most girls would be frustrated in that scenario.

Go be a Villanova fan then.

Matt A might leave because he is really good friends with Wade. This isn't just for the money. Who are you or anyone else to dictate to a grown adult about how they should live their lives? This is their lives, both players and coaches. This is your ENTERTAINMENT!!! These people should always do whats best for them and we should respect their decisions. Yeah, you can get bummed but they have no obligation to YOU and YOUR happiness.

You're 27, maybe it's time to grow up and be an adult.

I'm in agreement with this one (word for word). I'll also add, we all root for our team and hope for the best. Most of us also get bummed when things doesn't go the way of our team (ie, team losing games, miss out on a key recruit, player leaving early). But many isn't bummed for long and quickly move on about our lives, while some aren't even flinching and don't sweat it all (lately, I've been falling in the latter category).
Last edited by Red Rooster on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Rooster

Postby NJRedman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:
SJHooper wrote:If there is one word that hits the nail on the head for our program, it's instability.

If there's one word that hits the nail on the head for your posts, it's instability.

That's it, Wizard! "Instability" is the word for him. "Product of his environment," based on a basketball program. LOL Just more foolishness. I've been a St. John's fan longer than he's been living, and I'm not even sweating this rumor or situation. I've also recently spoken to two other St. John's fans who are long time fans, and both of the persons are taking it in the same manner as I.

Thats the funniest part. I was at St. John's during Cecelia Changs reign of terror and i'm not committing fraud and abusing my power.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board