Red Storm Review

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Red Storm Review

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:57 pm

xusandy wrote:
SJHooper wrote:We need more than just Clark. He barely played at MSU. That's for a reason. Watching the tourney, every team seems to have 6'10+ 240lb+ bigs. Apparently they grow on trees for everyone else but us.

Well, you gotta have one of those to compete at the highest level, but IMHO a truly talented big is really hard to find in HS. they seem to take longer to develop than point guards, shooting guards, or wings. Very few one-and-dones among the great bigs.

Therefore, a lot of the better programs recruit centers based just on athletic talent + desire + smarts, and then they expect it to take them a couple of years to develop. Consider Xavier -- with Tyrone Hill, Derek Strong, David West, Brain Grant, Matt Stainbrook, Jalen Reynolds, James Farr, Sean O'Mara, and this year's true freshman Tyrique Jones. All of those guys were "mere" 3 star recruits (through Stainbrook was a 3 star who transferred to X after his freshman year at Western Michigan), and except for the last two guys mentioned, all wound up as all-league players. FWIW, X has another good recruiting class coming in, and guess what -- the center and the transfer are the two lowest rated ones in the group.

Good point. Just look at Patton. McDermott obviously didn't think he was ready because he redshirted him. Now he's coming on like gang busters.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Some potential bad news from Braziller. Will Wade, new head coach at LSU, is making a priority of bringing Matt A along with him. That would be bad news if it happens.
hoops22

Postby SJHooper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 am

Serious rumors that Matt A may follow Wade. This is disgusting. Matt JUST got his freaking DREAM job and tells us to "trust the process" and be patient, now he's close to bolting? We haven't even made an NIT yet. And he's halfway out the door. If he leaves he will be public enemy #1 around here. Not to mention the perception of the program...Slice and Matt A both jump ship right after being hired? What does that say about our program? If there is one word that hits the nail on the head for our program, it's instability. Players use us as a vehicle for the NBA and money overseas with no commitment to the program itself and coaches use us as leverage to get more money elsewhere. In the past few years alone, Jordan is gone, Obekpa is gone, Brown is gone, Sampson is gone, Thomas is gone, Sima is gone, Lavin is gone, Slice is gone, Matt A might be gone, and I'm sure I'm forgetting about 10 others. Yes, it's the nature of the beast to some extent, but it happens WAY to regularly with us. Where is the loyalty these days? Where is the commitment? Of course many will say "you'd do the same and look for more money" but that is NOT true. If I was making 500k to go on recruiting visits, go on vacations, and sit on the sidelines without coaching at all during games, I'd think I died and went to heaven. If I was coaching at SJ I would be committed and you could offer me 1 mil. to go to some big football school in the country, but I'd still stay. There's more than money...if the fit is right and the money is still solid, it's fine. To the others who will say "stop freaking out he may stay", even if he does stay, this hurts our perception and shows people this is not a destination place, but a stepping stone. It also continues the amazing levels of instability here.
SJHooper

Postby SJUBBALL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 am

kind of a head scratcher. Matt A went to St Johns and seems to love working here again.
SJUBBALL

Postby REDMEN1415 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:13 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:kind of a head scratcher. Matt A went to St Johns and seems to love working here again.

He's now following LSU Basketball
He's being offered $350-$450 from LSU I seen.

It's really hard being a sju fan.
REDMEN1415

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm

SJHooper wrote:"stop freaking out he may stay"

More like, "Stop freaking out" all the time.
Red Rooster

Postby REDMEN1415 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:42 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:
SJUBBALL wrote:kind of a head scratcher. Matt A went to St Johns and seems to love working here again.

He's now following LSU Basketball
He's being offered $350-$450 from LSU I seen.

It's really hard being a sju fan.

Read that Matt unfollowed LSU buttttttttttttttttt
his wife is now following Will Wade.

This shit is laughable
REDMEN1415

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 am

SJHooper wrote:If there is one word that hits the nail on the head for our program, it's instability.

If there's one word that hits the nail on the head for your posts, it's instability.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby SJHooper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
SJHooper wrote:If there is one word that hits the nail on the head for our program, it's instability.

If there's one word that hits the nail on the head for your posts, it's instability.

How brave of you taking a pot shot. Really stuck your head out on that one. Are any of you aware of this saying: "product of my environment"? My environment is St. John's and just when we think we have our staff set early into the Mullin era, a guy has 1 foot out the door. That is disastrous. Do you realize that Matt A is one of the better recruiters, is our ONLY recruiter, and if he left would almost guarantee that we won't land any good recruits for several years? Either you aren't used to rooting for a roller coaster program or you don't understand how recruiting works. Once again, completely rational frustration being labeled as "crazy". If your program kept taking one step forward only to take two more back, you'd be frustrated too. The good news is it seems like he might be leaning towards staying, but it still implies LSU is a better job than St. John's and I don't like that. You should be grateful for your opportunities it makes you look very selfish looking elsewhere after just landing your "dream job".
SJHooper

Postby BEhomer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 am

aren't you guys a little overreacting. I understand he's a lead recruiter and a good one, but assistants change teams all the time. He got Mullin thru the door and now it's Mullin who needs to take charge. I'm sure he has plenty of connections and will find an adequate replacement.
BEhomer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board