Red Storm Review

The home for Big East hoops

Red Storm Review

Postby OmahaGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Chris Mullin and the Johnnies weren't too good but it's clear they've made some very good strides of improvement. I like what I see.

Losing:
*Darien Williams

Questionable:
*Marcus LoVett (Word out on the street is that he may decide to go pro. Probably overseas. He's not sure if he'll stay)

Keeping:
*Amar Alibegovic
*Bashir Ahmed
*Tariq Owens
*Kassoum Yakwe
*Malik Ellsion
*Federico Mussini
*Richard Freudenberg
*Shamorie Ponds
**This is another very, very talented group of guys coming back. Even better if LoVett returns. I really like what I see out of Ponds. Dude is a stud.

Getting:
*Marvin Clark (Transfer from Michigan State. 6'7 215)
*Justin Simon (Transfer from Arizona. A former 5-star. 6'5 205)

St. John's will be a better team with or without LoVett. I think the future is bright in Queens. I'm disappointed Zach Brown won't be attending SJU because he also seemed like a very good player but SJU made the right move to disown him because he kept getting into trouble.
OmahaGuy

Red Storm Review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Red Storm Review

Postby hoops22 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:01 pm

I'll be really surprised if LoVett is back, and I have a feeling the coaching staff feels the same way
hoops22

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:15 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:Chris Mullin and the Johnnies weren't too good but it's clear they've made some very good strides of improvement. I like what I see.

Losing:
*Darien Williams

Questionable:
*Marcus LoVett (Word out on the street is that he may decide to go pro. Probably overseas. He's not sure if he'll stay)

Keeping:
*Amar Alibegovic
*Bashir Ahmed
*Tariq Owens
*Kassoum Yakwe
*Malik Ellsion
*Federico Mussini
*Richard Freudenberg
*Shamorie Ponds
**This is another very, very talented group of guys coming back. Even better if LoVett returns. I really like what I see out of Ponds. Dude is a stud.

Getting:
*Marvin Clark (Transfer from Michigan State. 6'7 215)
*Justin Simon (Transfer from Arizona. A former 5-star. 6'5 205)

St. John's will be a better team with or without LoVett. I think the future is bright in Queens. I'm disappointed Zach Brown won't be attending SJU because he also seemed like a very good player but SJU made the right move to disown him because he kept getting into trouble.

Darian Williams probably will be back.
Red Rooster

Postby JohnW22 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Dang I didn't even know Lovett was even in question of leaving. That sucks
XU
JohnW22

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 pm

JohnW22 wrote:Dang I didn't even know Lovett was even in question of leaving. That sucks

Yep! That news has been circulating all season. Frankly, he's never been a kid to stay in one place (whether, that's been his decision or parents). He's already 21 years old (had a birthday on the March 4th), so he (or his parents) probably just wants to go play for pay. I was hoping he'd stick around for another season or two, and he could still stick around next season. But, a few people seem to believe he's done playing collegiately and will take his game abroad.
Red Rooster

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:Dang I didn't even know Lovett was even in question of leaving. That sucks

Yep! That news has been circulating all season. Frankly, he's never been a kid to stay in one place (whether, that's been his decision or parents). He's already 21 years old (had a birthday on the March 4th), so he (or his parents) probably just wants to go play for pay. I was hoping he'd stick around for another season or two, and he could still stick around next season. But, a few people seem to believe he's done playing collegiately and will take his game abroad.

Schools not for everyone I guess....that's a pretty big blow though, I thought SJU might have an outside shot at an NCAA bid next year but if there is no Lovett, not so sure. They still need a big as well.
Jet915

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

Schools not for everyone I guess....that's a pretty big blow though, I thought SJU might have an outside shot at an NCAA bid next year but if there is no Lovett, not so sure. They still need a big as well.

I still think they can be a possible, NCAA tourney team without LoVett. They do have Justin Simon coming in next season. Simon was a top 30 player coming out of high school when he committed to Arizona. He's a big, strong, physical guard. Maybe, the season off could've helped him advance his game.

St. John's will also be working hard on the grad transfers (guards and a big or two) and possibly, with any recruits who reneges after coaching changes.
Red Rooster

Postby SJHooper » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:28 am

If LoVett leaves which I fully expect him to, then there will be more instability we have come to expect here. Instability is not good. You can't get better and gel with your teammates if there are changes to key players every year. Sampson, Harkless, Jordan, Obekpa, Sima (could have been decent if he stayed), LoVett, etc. We need 4 year players committed to winning here first before moving on to professional ranks. I say it time and time again, look at Nova. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during Wright's recruiting trips, because whatever he tells them, it's working...they buy in to the team concept, they gel, and they don't leave early for the most part. They turn into very good 4 year players who are humble. I just feel like for the most part, our players from the Lavin and Mullin eras have simply used St. John's as a vehicle to get paid somewhere eventually. There are notable exceptions like Ponds and Harrison and Owens but I just don't sense that dedication to our program for the most part like you see with Nova.

I spoke to Simon after the G'Town game and he is very very excited to get major minutes next year. He was all smiles saying he can't wait. He has good size but I always get nervous with transfers who received barely any minutes at their previous school, since it's usually for a reason. Hope he proves me wrong. If LoVett does in fact leave, Simon will have to be at least solid if we are to go anywhere next year. My major concern though is regarding our bigs. Even if Clark is good, we will still be very thin up front. We need some muscle, must stop recruiting sticks. If we don't get at least 1 more legit big in addition to Clark, we are in trouble next year. We get eaten alive in the paint every game. We cannot rebound to save our lives. As badly as I want it to happen, I don't see us in the tourney next year if LoVett leaves and our bigs are not much better.
SJHooper

Postby RedStorm » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:38 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:

Oh trust me, St John's dodged a HUGE disaster with Brown never suiting up for us.

Not gonna go into why. You'll likely get wind of it shortly anyway. But far more crazy stuff than just his criminality.
RedStorm

Postby JohnW22 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:10 pm

RedStorm wrote:
OmahaGuy wrote:

Oh trust me, St John's dodged a HUGE disaster with Brown never suiting up for us.

Not gonna go into why. You'll likely get wind of it shortly anyway. But far more crazy stuff than just his criminality.

You can't do that to us :lol:
XU
JohnW22

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board