Blue Demons Review

The home for Big East hoops

Blue Demons Review

Postby OmahaGuy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

DePaul was.....well, DePaul once again this season.

Losing:
*Billy Garrett Jr (You gotta give this guy props. He's stuck with it and played his heart out for his team for all 4 years. He's a talented player and I could see him playing pro ball overseas)
*RJ Curington
*Darrick Wood
*Chris Harrison-Docks

Keeping:
*Tre'Darius McCallum
*Devin Gage
*Brandon Cyrus
*Al Eichelberger
*Levi Cook
*Eli Cain (Along with BGJr, he was easily the teams best player)

Getting:
*Max Strus (A D2 transfer. 6'6 215. He was also chased by Butler and Xavier so this is a pretty good get)
*Austin Grandstaff (He's already transferred twice. First went to Ohio State then transferred to Oklahoma after 1st semester and then left OU and is now at DePaul. Not sure what's been the case with him. However, this is another good get. From what I've heard, he's an excellent shooter. 6'4 190)
*Justin Roberts (5'11 170 from Indianapolis. Doesn't seem like a good get. Only had two other offers from IUPUI and Bradley)
*Jaylen Butz (6'9 200 from Fort Wayne, IN. Also just had a bunch of small mid-major programs offer him. No one of substance)
*Paul Reed (6'8 180 from Apopka, FL. I'd say the best of the 3 HS kids. Had offers from Rutgers, Kansas State, UCF, Clemson, etc.)

Now I'm not ready to call for Dave Leitao's job just yet. But he's adding and keeping more talent for next season. If they don't make any strides by the end of next season, I'll be calling for him to go. He did have a pretty young team so major struggles were inevitable. Also, players like Reed, Butz, and Roberts could easily prove me wrong and play better than their rating next season. Hopefully DePaul's squad was able to learn a lot from this year and they'll be ready to make strides out of the basement.

This of course was the last season for them in the Allstate Arena. The new arena should definitely help with recruiting. It won't guarantee a better product but it should help them as they try to create a better product. I really want these guys to become relevant again because if they can that'd be HUGE for our conference.
OmahaGuy

Blue Demons Review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Blue Demons Review

Postby ivet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Summary

ivet

Postby Demon22 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:25 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:*Max Strus (A D2 transfer. 6'6 215. He was also chased by Butler and Xavier so this is a pretty good get)

Was a D2 All-American at Lewis. DePaul played him twice in pre-season, and we couldn't guard the kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glAhe3CkSaY&t=155s

*Justin Roberts (5'11 170 from Indianapolis. Doesn't seem like a good get. Only had two other offers from IUPUI and Bradley)

Probably DePaul's highest-rated recruit since Billy Garrett. Was considered a Top 100 player at one point, and scouting services rated him as either a three or four star player. He's got a chance to start immediately.

*Jaylen Butz (6'9 200 from Fort Wayne, IN. Also just had a bunch of small mid-major programs offer him. No one of substance)

When he committed to DePaul, he had just started hearing from Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, and Arkansas after a big summer. He followed that up with a fairly strong senior season.

And he's GOT to be better than Joe Hanel and Peter Ryckbosch.

*Paul Reed (6'8 180 from Apopka, FL. I'd say the best of the 3 HS kids. Had offers from Rutgers, Kansas State, UCF, Clemson, etc.)

If I remember correctly, he's somewhat similar to Anthony Davis in terms of development in that he was a guard until he had a significant growth spurt in high school, and he still retains some guard skills. That said... he's a project. Needs to pack on a TON of weight. Unless he's good enough where they can't keep him off the court, I think he's a red shirt candidate.

Now I'm not ready to call for Dave Leitao's job just yet. But he's adding and keeping more talent for next season. If they don't make any strides by the end of next season, I'll be calling for him to go.

That's basically where I am. They need to make significant strides forward next season, or they'll go in a different direction.
Demon22

Postby SJHooper » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:17 pm

DePaul is who we thought they were.

Review complete.

They are an extremely consistent team, just not in a good way.
SJHooper

Postby Demon22 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:09 pm

SJHooper wrote:DePaul is who we thought they were.

Review complete.

They are an extremely consistent team, just not in a good way.

But will they be who you thought they were next year?
Demon22

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Demon22 wrote:But will they be who you thought they were next year?

Leitao's got a tough road ahead, as the conference looks stacked for next season. At least they appeared to be playing hard till the end.
supernova
kayako

Postby ivet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:06 pm

kayako wrote:
Demon22 wrote:But will they be who you thought they were next year?

Leitao's got a tough road ahead, as the conference looks stacked for next season. At least they appeared to be playing hard till the end.

Problem for Depaul is that this conference will always be stacked for next season. On the bright side, they can only go up.
ivet

Postby OmahaGuy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Doesn't make much of a difference but Erten Gazi is transferring
OmahaGuy

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Live look-in at the state of DePaul Men's Basketball...

GoldenWarrior11

Postby admin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Levi Cook is apparently transferring now. Seems like odd timing.
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board