Bilas says ACC should be at MSG

The home for Big East hoops

Postby hoops22 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:26 am

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... are-garden

Although their nearest team is around 250 miles away, with the ACC coming to Brooklyn this year, and the B1G playing at the Garden a week early next year, it's obvious some rivals have their eyes on our prized jewel. It's also concerning we have a determined enemy in ESPN, that would do all it could to help facilitate this. I realize things are good for us, we have the reigning national champion and are likely to send the highest percentage of league members to the NCAA's this year. But that doesn't mean the league should be complacent. There will be inevitable down years, where we won't be in the same position of strength as we are today. A 10 team league simply does not have the same margin for error that larger conferences have. There is strength in numbers, especially when those teams have a loyal, fanatic following, that will lead them to NYC for the BET. I don't think either VCU or Dayton will be signing up to join the AAC, but I do think the AAC has zeroed in on the right schools. We need to be open minded when considering how best to maintain our status in the pecking order of collge basketball. Having those two fan bases decsending on MSG every year, would help fend off the inevitable challenges that are coming.
hoops22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bilas says ACC should be at MSG

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am

ACC - The Tobacco Road folks and conference power brokers will not abandon the South for NYC. Perhap having their tourney in NYC occasionally, but never permanently. Too much tradition and regional pride at stake.

B1G - Now Delaney?... that's a different story. However, even he has bosses and they will not like abandoning Indianapolis and their MidEast roots. I can see the B1G rotating btwn Naptown, Chicago, and NY, but again not on a permanent basis. Plus they have to settle for playing on Mid-Major tourney week in NY. Takes a bit of luster off their cache.

Not to worry til 2025-26 (perhaps 2024-26) and renegotiations.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:26 pm

A never-ending case of Big East envy from the ACC. It's so embarrassing. And the ACC dimwits think that Brooklyn is equal to MSG and midtown Manhattan. What a bunch of clowns.

How many fans are currently at the NC State vs Clemson game that starts today at noon? I have no idea. I would guess maybe 400 people, not including security and coaching staffs?
Providence
billyjack

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:15 pm

billyjack wrote:How many fans are currently at the NC State vs Clemson game that starts today at noon? I have no idea. I would guess maybe 400 people, not including security and coaching staffs?

It looked like lower level only crowd. I'd love to see the official figure.
supernova
kayako

Postby EMT » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:28 pm

The Big East and the A-10 are the only two leagues that can commit to a long term annual contract at MSG. There is no chance that the ACC or the Big10 are putting a stake in the ground in NYC every year. Anyone think that MSG dumps us for the A-10?

Ratings and NCAA performance will also dictate as to whether the Big10's experiment of coming to NYC a week early continues. If I'm a Big10 coach, I'll be nervous if my team has a week off before the NCAAs.

Not ideal, but does MSG risk having the BE negotiate a long term deal in Brooklyn for the chance to have no one in the Garden every 3 of 5 years?

How much incremental revenue would MSG get?

2016 ACC attendance (DC) - 20,719
2016 BE attendance (NYC) - 19,812
EMT

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:46 pm

EMT wrote:Ratings and NCAA performance will also dictate as to whether the Big10's experiment of coming to NYC a week early continues. If I'm a Big10 coach, I'll be nervous if my team has a week off before the NCAAs.

I think that's going to be the billion dollar question.... If the Big Ten has a way better than normal NCAA tourney next year and their teams are really fresh, it could be a game changer. Conferences will be really looking at this I think.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Our conference tournament isn't going anywhere. As stated, the ACC can't leave the Tobacco Road programs out in the dust. While they have added Syracuse and Pittsburgh, along with Louisville, Notre Dame and Boston College, it is still a Southeast-regional conference. They may travel up north for an occasional tournament in D.C or New York, but North Carolina is the heart of ACC country. As long as we continue to put up strong numbers at the Garden and put over half our league in the tournament, we will be fine.

The B1G would love to pierce New York, but - long term - they can't get away from the Midwestern roots of the conference.

The Big East will probably, one day, be the only conference that consistently has its tournament in the same location/arena. That will be really cool.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:53 pm

EMT wrote:The Big East and the A-10 are the only two leagues that can commit to a long term annual contract at MSG. There is no chance that the ACC or the Big10 are putting a stake in the ground in NYC every year. Anyone think that MSG dumps us for the A-10?

Ratings and NCAA performance will also dictate as to whether the Big10's experiment of coming to NYC a week early continues. If I'm a Big10 coach, I'll be nervous if my team has a week off before the NCAAs.

Not ideal, but does MSG risk having the BE negotiate a long term deal in Brooklyn for the chance to have no one in the Garden every 3 of 5 years?

Yeah, I don't think MSG is too concerned about that. MSG's revenue is based on renting out the venue, not sales/attendance. If there was a year they didn't have college hoops, they'd easily replace it with something else. The bottom line is that MSG is much more important to the Big East than the Big East is to MSG. When it comes time to renegotiate the contract, the B1G and ACC will at the very least be able to get us in a bidding war and drive up our costs, even if we ultimately do win it (which we very well may not if it comes to that). If there's competition for the Garden in the future, we need to stay well ahead of the game in extending our contract before it comes close to expiring and hope that MSG cooperates/sticks with us as a long tenured business partner even if it means potentially leaving some money on the table.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 pm

No one should ever worry about the ACC in NY... YIKES!

GoldenWarrior11

Postby EMT » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
EMT wrote:The Big East and the A-10 are the only two leagues that can commit to a long term annual contract at MSG. There is no chance that the ACC or the Big10 are putting a stake in the ground in NYC every year. Anyone think that MSG dumps us for the A-10?

Yeah, I don't think MSG is too concerned about that. MSG's revenue is based on renting out the venue, not sales/attendance. If there was a year they didn't have college hoops, they'd easily replace it with something else. The bottom line is that MSG is much more important to the Big East than the Big East is to MSG. When it comes time to renegotiate the contract, the B1G and ACC will at the very least be able to get us in a bidding war and drive up our costs, even if we ultimately do win it (which we very well may not if it comes to that). If there's competition for the Garden in the future, we need to stay well ahead of the game in extending our contract before it comes close to expiring and hope that MSG cooperates/sticks with us as a long tenured business partner even if it means potentially leaving some money on the table.

Point taken. The only thing I dispute is easily replace. I can't think of a long term replacement in March every year and other than sporting events and concerts I'm not sure what else goes into the Garden. The easily replaced events can be moved to another date. Not having NCAA basketball is lost revenue, not replaced revenue. Also, the competition can't go high enough if that league is only coming in say once every 5 years.
EMT

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board