3. Mark Few, Gonzaga
4. Bob Huggins, West Virginia
5. Tim Jankovich, SMU
6. Sean Miller, Arizona
7. Rick Pitino, Louisville
8. Bill Self, Kansas
9. Mike White, Florida
10. Jay Wright, Villanova

Pretty disappointed Holt didn't make it. Also, think Lil' Pitino should've made it. I'd swap those two for some combination of Big Pitino, Sean Miller and Huggins.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

NCOY Semi-Finalists

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NCOY Semi-Finalists

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:04 am

milksteak wrote:1. Chris Collins, Northwestern
2. Scott Drew, Baylor
3. Mark Few, Gonzaga
4. Bob Huggins, West Virginia
5. Tim Jankovich, SMU
6. Sean Miller, Arizona
7. Rick Pitino, Louisville
8. Bill Self, Kansas
9. Mike White, Florida
10. Jay Wright, Villanova

Pretty disappointed Holt didn't make it. Also, think Lil' Pitino should've made it. I'd swap those two for some combination of Big Pitino, Sean Miller and Huggins.

Agree. Bad job by whomever is responsible for this list of candidates. Holtmann deserves consideration, and is IMO the hands-down COY in the BE.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gosports1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:08 am

I think hes a great coach but why is jay wright on this list? isn't he doing what everyone thought he would do this season? I don't think many people are surprised that Villanova is ranked as high as it is.
gosports1

Postby milksteak » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 am

gosports1 wrote:I think hes a great coach but why is jay wright on this list? isn't he doing what everyone thought he would do this season? I don't think many people are surprised that Villanova is ranked as high as it is.

Injuries, no Spellman, a target every single night. Still thrived. Don't have a problem with Jay making the list.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:43 am

gosports1 wrote:I think hes a great coach but why is jay wright on this list? isn't he doing what everyone thought he would do this season? I don't think many people are surprised that Villanova is ranked as high as it is.

Well, let's see...

1).He has been without 2 starters all year and another bench player lost due to injury.
2). Has been using a 6 or 7 man rotation the entire year.
3). Lost 2 seniors who were the heart and soul of the team both on and off the court, and who helped him win a NC. So 3 key players from last year's team gone.
4). Won his 4th straight conference title in a major conference BB league.
5). Has his team ranked in the top 5 all year.
6). Developed a kid ranked in the 70's in recruiting rankings as potential Wooden Award winner.
7). Is #1 RPI / # 2 Kenpom.
8). Has a better record heading into the tourney than last year's team despite 2 graduations, 2 injuries, another injury where his only big man missed a handful of games, and a stud big man in the bench b/c of an obscure and ridiculous NCAA rule.
9). Has done all this while managing what most coaches (who have won a NC) warned would be a NC hangover.

Other than that...just an OK job I guess.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:04 am

Others have already said it, but I'll just add the particulars about the 2 biggest losses:

1. Phil Booth (6-3) - 4* recruit 3 years ago, 6th man on last year's national champs, started 1st 3 games of the season replacing Ryan Arcidiacono, injured and lost for the season.

2. Omari Spellman (6-9) - 5* top 20 recruit was ruled as a non-qualifier in a questionable decision by the NCAA shortly before practice began in October. He was expected to start as the replacement for Daniel Ochefu at center.

As you said, Villanova is doing what everyone expected them to do. That's why Jay is a candidate for COY. He's doing it without the roster he was supposed to have.
Bill Marsh

Postby JohnW22 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Holtman got screwed
XU
JohnW22

Postby gosports1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 pm

everybody gets injuries. the Villanova core was still stronger than most even without Booth. I may be alone but I think COY should be someone that took a team no one expected anything out of (or very little) and made them a contender. Someone who turned a team around from last year. As I said I think he's a great coach but I think there are others not listed that have done more with less
it really isn't that important to me to debate
gosports1

Return to Big East basketball message board