Wed. Marquette @ Xavier

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Wed. Marquette @ Xavier

Postby JohnW22 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 am

milksteak wrote:X is locked into 7th now, correct?

I think X is still in the field, but if they lose one of these two games against DePaul, they're sunk.

Can your Bulldogs rest a few players in the Big East tournament if Xavier is lucky enough to get past DePaul so theres no panic on selection Sunday :D
XU
JohnW22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:39 am

Yes. The tiebreakers are not their friend.

I think X is still in the field, but if they lose one of these two games against DePaul, they're sunk.

Hard to say. But you never want to have to put your fate in the hands of a committee.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:16 am

stever20 wrote:just thinking where Xavier would be right now if they hadn't won those 3 games by a total of 9 points- the St John's, Seton Hall, Creighton wins. They lose even one of those games, and they are in even deeper trouble right now.

So Wednesday now I do believe is set. Xavier/DePaul and St John's/Georgetown.

Man, if Xavier misses the tourney, it'll be one of the most remarkable plunges I can ever remember.

I kind of see what you're saying, but at the same time you could say that about just about any bubble team. They all have close wins. Look at Seton Hall for example - they're 7-2 this year in one possession games, including 5-2 in Big East play. Where would they be with 1 less? Where would Providence be if Cartwright's late 3 last week doesn't fall? Where's Marquette if Brunson hits his layup at the buzzer and Nova wins in OT?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby MUWarrior1090 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:35 am

Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:just thinking where Xavier would be right now if they hadn't won those 3 games by a total of 9 points- the St John's, Seton Hall, Creighton wins. They lose even one of those games, and they are in even deeper trouble right now.

Man, if Xavier misses the tourney, it'll be one of the most remarkable plunges I can ever remember.

I kind of see what you're saying, but at the same time you could say that about just about any bubble team. They all have close wins. Look at Seton Hall for example - they're 7-2 this year in one possession games, including 5-2 in Big East play. Where would they be with 1 less? Where would Providence be if Cartwright's late 3 last week doesn't fall? Where's Marquette if Brunson hits his layup at the buzzer and Nova wins in OT?

Agreed. Where is Marquette if they don't let huge leads slip away vs. Butler and Providence, and don't collapse vs. SHU? Or they complete the comeback against PC the first time and Reinhardt's shot falls. Then they are 13-4!

You could do it for almost every team, I'm sure.
MUWarrior1090

Postby kmacker69 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 am

JohnW22 wrote:

Can your Bulldogs rest a few players in the Big East tournament if Xavier is lucky enough to get past DePaul so theres no panic on selection Sunday :D

I think the chances of that are just about 0! :twisted: I really think it would give the team and the fan base a lot of guilty pleasure to be the ones to knock X out of the tourney. (Even though it costs us a few dollars over the long run.) :lol:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am

Hall2012 wrote:

the thing that is I think folks there thought they were safely in and that they were just wins- not the huge wins that they are seeming right now. For Seton Hall, PC, or Marquette- folks knew they were bubble all year long. Xavier thought they were going to be a top 3-4 seed at worst.

Like I said, if X misses the tourney, it would be one of the most shocking ones to me in recent memory.
stever20

Postby JohnW22 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm

stever20 wrote:

Like I said, if X misses the tourney, it would be one of the most shocking ones to me in recent memory.

I wouldn't say it would be too shocking giving the circumstances this season. If They had the roster they expected and missed then it would be shocking. Still if they miss the tournament given all that happened it would be a major surprise. Xavier has to find some way to beat DePaul twice and I don't know if this team has it in them.
XU
JohnW22

Postby kayako » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:Let the injury factor come into play when they do the seedings.

How does Xavier in Dayton sound? :lol:
supernova
kayako

Postby herodotus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:53 pm

kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:Let the injury factor come into play when they do the seedings.

How does Xavier in Dayton sound? :lol:

The sound coming from the stands will be some thing like Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

The sadist in me actually wants to see it happen. Would make the usually boring first four game, very interesting. Wonder who the opponent would be?
herodotus

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:11 pm

A Xavier tournament game at UD Arena will be a sell-out, regardless of the Musketeers' opponent. It will also be very, very loud.
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board