Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:25 pm

EMT wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:the thing I wonder with Willard with the group he's got, if he knows after next year, with the senior class leaving, he'd be instantly on the hot seat. While I don't think he'd leave to go down to a USF, I could easily see him making a lateral type of move, similar to what Martin did with Tennessee, leaving to go to Cal. I do think he'd wait until next year to leave, unless he's got indications that some of the guys would be leaving early.

I mean...there have also been rumors of Delgado leaving after this season to go pro (not necessarily NBA), so it's possible that could be related. If they make the tournament this year and bring everyone back to do it again next year, I imagine that would buy Willard at least a year of rebuilding time before he gets thrown on the hot seat. I don't feel like job security has much to do with it.

This isn't the first time Willard has been linked leaving SHU for a job that would be considered a downgrade. A couple years ago, he was reportedly interested in taking a Holy Cross job, which ultimately went to Bill Carmody.

If the Hall gets in this year and Delgado comes back, they make it 3 straight years and he buys himself a prolonged stint off the hot seat.

The problem that I have with that is they could have a year if recruiting goes south next year very similar to what St John's had last year. And if Willard knows that- he gets out of dodge before that happens.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEhomer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 pm

that is the big concern. Besides Myles Powell, they don't have any underclassmen you can count on. They have a SG and a C for 17 class. so unless that gets improved dramatically they will be looking for warm bodies to play in 18.
BEhomer

Postby herodotus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:49 pm

EMT wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:the thing I wonder with Willard with the group he's got, if he knows after next year, with the senior class leaving, he'd be instantly on the hot seat. While I don't think he'd leave to go down to a USF, I could easily see him making a lateral type of move, similar to what Martin did with Tennessee, leaving to go to Cal. I do think he'd wait until next year to leave, unless he's got indications that some of the guys would be leaving early.

I mean...there have also been rumors of Delgado leaving after this season to go pro (not necessarily NBA), so it's possible that could be related. If they make the tournament this year and bring everyone back to do it again next year, I imagine that would buy Willard at least a year of rebuilding time before he gets thrown on the hot seat. I don't feel like job security has much to do with it.

This isn't the first time Willard has been linked leaving SHU for a job that would be considered a downgrade. A couple years ago, he was reportedly interested in taking a Holy Cross job, which ultimately went to Bill Carmody.

If the Hall gets in this year and Delgado comes back, they make it 3 straight years and he buys himself a prolonged stint off the hot seat.
Maybe, but 3 straight years in the NCAA's will likely get him a P5 job, and not a bottom of the barrel job either. I'm thinking an NC St. level job, as opposed to a Clemson level job, which he could likely get now. Agree that Mullins, and Cooley won't leave, but always wonder about Jay taking a shot at the NBA, or that McDermott could be poached by a true blue blood waving mega dollars.
herodotus

Postby marquette » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Apparently Missouri is in the market for a new coach again. Their fans hilariously believe they have a shot at a Big East coach, Wojo and Holtmann both mentioned. They would be lucky to pull a mid-tier A10 coach to that train wreck.

https://missouri.rivals.com/news/hoops-hot-board-v1-0
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Irishdawg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 pm

marquette wrote:Apparently Missouri is in the market for a new coach again. Their fans hilariously believe they have a shot at a Big East coach, Wojo and Holtmann both mentioned. They would be lucky to pull a mid-tier A10 coach to that train wreck.

It's the same thing that happens every year. Every football 5 program, regardless of merit, believes that it can land basically any coach in America save for 5 or 6 of the blue bloods because they play in a football conference. Holtmann may very well leave Butler, but it sure won't be for a program like Missouri. Granted they basically listed 1/2 the coaches in D1 basketball on their list, but considering the jobs that are likely to be open, Missouri is going to be pretty far down the list of hot-name coaches.
Irishdawg

Postby marquette » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 pm

Irishdawg wrote:
marquette wrote:Apparently Missouri is in the market for a new coach again. Their fans hilariously believe they have a shot at a Big East coach, Wojo and Holtmann both mentioned. They would be lucky to pull a mid-tier A10 coach to that train wreck.

It's the same thing that happens every year. Every football 5 program, regardless of merit, believes that it can land basically any coach in America save for 5 or 6 of the blue bloods because they play in a football conference. Holtmann may very well leave Butler, but it sure won't be for a program like Missouri. Granted they basically listed 1/2 the coaches in D1 basketball on their list, but considering the jobs that are likely to be open, Missouri is going to be pretty far down the list of hot-name coaches.

Honestly, the only reason I shared it is because it is so ridiculous. Their football team is pretty bad so that will get first priority and of the 22 candidates they listed maybe 4 of them are in worse jobs than Missouri. Even that is arguable considering the current situation there. I thought it was good for a laugh.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:21 am

N.C. State University to pay firm $90,000 in basketball coach search – Triange Business Journal – February 24, 2017
N.C. State University will pay a search firm $90,000 to help find a new men’s basketball coach, athletics director Debbie Yow said Friday.

In an interview with Triangle Business Journal, Yow said she is confident NCSU can find the right fit despite some national reports suggesting the position might not be appealing to top coaches.

Coaching searches always seem to be Miller time at NC State – The Raleigh New & Observer – February 25, 2017
Archie Miller is now the head coach of the Dayton Flyers and the No. 1 name on just about every N.C. State fan’s wish list for the basketball coaching vacancy.

And as Keeter watches, he understands why N.C. State fans want Miller so badly – and also just how good the 38-year-old Miller has it at Dayton.

“He’s in a great situation where he is. They love basketball. He’s done really well there,” Keeter said. “I feel like he would consider it. I just do not know. With them coming down the stretch of another successful season, he hasn’t had a lot of time to devote to thinking about it.”

NC State Wolfpack basketball coaching search update, March 2, 2017 – USA News – March 3, 2017
There’s no indication whatsoever Archie Miller wants the [NC State] job when he can wait at Dayton for a Big Ten job to open.

Archie doesn’t comment on speculation, but it appears that he is content to remain at Dayton until Thad Matta decides to retire from Ohio State.

Hoosier State of Mind‏ Tweet – March 5, 2017
Also read from a couple of connected writers that if Archie Miller was to be offered [the Indiana job], he would turn it down. If true, that's telling.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Butler would be well-advised to give Chris Holtmann a contract extension and a big pay raise after this season.

Let the Chris Holtmann speculation begin: Is he a candidate at N.C. State? – David Woods, Indy Star - February 15, 2017
INDIANAPOLIS – Speculation about Chris Holtmann is starting early this year.

The Butler basketball coach is being mentioned as a possible successor at North Carolina State, even though N.C. State still has a coach.

The Sporting News reported N.C. State is in the process of searching for a replacement for coach Mark Gottfried and gauging the interest of potential candidates. A Raleigh, N.C., TV station reported N.C. State has decided to fire Gottfried at the end of the season.

Holtmann, 45, has a stance of not commenting about job speculation. In May, he was awarded a contract extension through the 2021-22 season, and his annual salary is believed to exceed $1 million.

Profile of a Possible Savior: Chris Holtmann – Backing the Pack - February 20, 2017
Today’s Possible Savior: Chris Holtmann, the 45 year-old native of the Bluegrass State is in his third year at the helm of the Butler Bulldogs. Holtmann has amassed a 110-82 record over 6 years as a head coach.

Important Questions, In Rough Order Of Importance:
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:36 am

Good news for the Flyer Faithful:

Sources: Thad Matta to return at Ohio State – Pat Forde, Yahoo! – March 7, 2017
Thad Matta will return at Ohio State, sources told Yahoo Sports. There had been speculation that health issues might persuade him to step down.

At 17-14 with a 7-11 league record, OSU is in the midst of its worst season yet under 13th-year head coach Thad Matta.

Matta, whose Buckeyes appear headed for a second straight season without an NCAA tournament bid, has been considered a candidate to retire. Back issues have plagued the 49-year-old for years, and the combination of physical discomfort and declining returns led to speculation that he may be ready to walk away. However, a well-connected industry insider said flatly Monday night that the Ohio State job “is not going to open.”

Also in the linked article:

• Lorenzo Romar is returning at Washington.

• Mark Fox's Georgia future in doubt.

• Missouri is vetting California’s Cuonzo Martin.

• Tom Crean’s future is unclear at this point. If Crean wishes to leave Indiana he could be an attractive candidate for Missouri.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Tweet from Jeff Goodman, ESPN - 6 hours ago
Names hearing on top of NC State's wish list are Butler's Chris Holtmann and VCU's Will Wade. Will be interesting to see if Debbie Yow can get either.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:37 pm

The Texas Longhorns are suffering their worst basketball season since 1983-84.

RICK BARNES FIRED BY TEXAS – March 28, 2015
After 17 years as head basketball coach at the University of Texas, Rick Barnes has been let go after a disappointing 2014-15 season in which the Longhorns went 20-14 and lost their first NCAA tournament game against Butler.

Texas Coach Shaka Smart Signs Extension through 2023, Gets Raise – ESPN – August 25, 2016
Last season, Smart's team finished 23-10 and the Longhorns lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The school considered that good enough to give him an extra year on his original contract with an additional $100,000 per season. With the changes, Smart will earn $3 million next season, and his contract now runs until 2023. The changes were approved by university regents.

Big 12 Standings

RPI # 169 Texas 10-21 (4-14) finished dead last in the Big 12, lost their last 7 games, and is a 4½-point underdog to Texas Tech in tonight’s game.

RPI # 23 VCU 24-7 (14-4) finished second in the Atlantic10 and is considered to be a lock for the NCAA Tournament.

Texas Longhorns Men's Basketball
1998-2015 (17 seasons): Rick Barnes: Overall W-L: 402–180 (.691), Conference W-L: 186–94 (.664)

2015-2017 (2 seasons): Shaka Smart: Overall W-L: 30–34 (.469), Conference W-L: 15–21 (.417)

I wonder how patient Texas will be this time around ?
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board