Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am

xusandy wrote:FWIW, I think there's a lot more to successful coaches' decisions about staying or moving on than the money involved. Although there's a long history of guys grabbing a big salary to jump ship, there's also a long history of excellent coaches suddenly becoming not-so-excellent at their new program. Maybe I'm being a bit naive here, but I believe that if you make over $1MM per year, are able to recruit at a national level, have solid job security and a very appreciative administration and fan base, and are really happy about the community you're raising your kids in, then the opportunity to make over $2MM or even over $3MM is not necessarily attractive.

So, just for example, I would not expect Mack to leave Xavier for even a $3MM salary at a pressure cooker program. He already has his dream job, and another $1MM per year won't improve his life style, job security, recruiting ability, institutional loyalty, etc. etc. Same is true, though admittedly to a lesser extent, for other Big East coaches who were not grads of the program they lead, but who have job security, a national recruiting pull, a supportive administration, an appreciative and loyal fan base, and who clearly like the town they're living in. Only Woj among our current coaches seems to me to be pretty easily "poachable" right now, but I know nothing about how happy he is at Marquette. Willard might be poachable, but if he's looking for a top $$ pressure-cooker job, then sticking with his senior class next year should make him even more attractive.

Excellent points.

Some other coaches in a similar situation as Mack.

Chris Mullin - St John's alum.

John Thompson III - literally grew up in the Georgetown program.

Jay Wright - Philly guy whose wife is a former Villanova cheer leader.

Ed Cooley - Providence guy who literally grew up down the street from PC. It's his dream job.

Chris Holtmann - grew up in the next state, went to college in Indiana. Left a head coaching job to be a Butler assistant "because it's Butler."

Greg McDermott - grew up in the next state, has spent his entire coaching career in the Missouri valley region.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Edrick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am

Lets not be silly about Tony Bennett or Virginia. That is NOT going to come down to money. UVA is SIGNIFICANTLY more wealthy than U of I and would have proportionately more wealthy donation sources. UVA can give Tony Bennett whatever they want, and no one could do anything about it. If they chose not to, its not a financial decision -- but a basketball one.
Edrick

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Indiana Basketball Coach Hot Board, Version 1.0 - The Hoosier.com (Rivals.com) free article - March 16, 2017

This lengthy, informative article is well worth a read for those of you interested.
Last edited by Fieldhouse Flyer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 pm

On Dan Dakich's radio show today, he guaranteed it's going to be Alford to IU the second UCLA goes down.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:58 pm

ConnersvilleBulldog wrote:On Dan Dakich's radio show today, he guaranteed it's going to be Alford to IU the second UCLA goes down.

Oh really? Wow, if he's saying that, my guess it's probably going to happen. Kudos to you for calling it early if it does.
Irishdawg

Postby herodotus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:01 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:

If you take the AD's comments into consideration, the Indiana job becomes even less attractive than his situation at UVA. The expectations at IU are through the roof and I'm not sure that's the healthiest work environment. Crean took them to a couple Sweet 16s, but they haven't been any further than that since 1993. That's a long time without any high-end success, yet all signs point to the administration thinking the job is still a blue-blood. There's plenty of history there, but it's not like they've been all that relevant to my generation (I'll be 30 this year, for reference).

Indiana was in the Championship Game in 2002.
herodotus

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Irishdawg wrote:
ConnersvilleBulldog wrote:On Dan Dakich's radio show today, he guaranteed it's going to be Alford to IU the second UCLA goes down.

Oh really? Wow, if he's saying that, my guess it's probably going to happen. Kudos to you for calling it early if it does.

Dakich is very close friends with Alford, hes a little biased.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby cujaysfan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 pm

alford will have trouble recruiting indiana

he's not well liked by HS coaches there (neither is his dad).
cujaysfan

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm

cujaysfan wrote:alford will have trouble recruiting indiana

I don't necessarily agree with this, I think he'll recruit Indiana pretty well. Plus he can't do worse at in-state recruiting than Crean.

But while I really wanted Crean to have a lifetime contract at IU, I would actually be fine with Alford being there. He doesn't scare me like Bennett, Donovan, Archie, or Marshall would at that school south of Butler.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Postby HoosierPal » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 pm

cujaysfan wrote:alford will have trouble recruiting indiana

Ok so 5 Star Kris Wilkes out of Indy NC doesn't count?
HoosierPal

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board