Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

Postby xufan02 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm

If I'm the Hoyas I make a run at Jeff Capel. You want regional fit for recruiting, dude was the coach at VVU for nine seasons and has been the lead recruiter for 12 McDonald's AA at Oklahoma and Duke. Coach K is going to be around for minimum 3-5 more seasons. Capel has been to the tournament plenty and has an elite eight with Oklahoma.

I also think he could fit the Georgetown culture, and doesn't continue the Big John ties within the program. Bottom line he would get the talent at Georgetown and would make them elite again quick. Would he leave Duke as the potential coach in the wings?

I would start with him. Hopkins at Syracuse was done waiting, maybe Capel is ready to coach now.
xufan02

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:05 am

Related thread ==> JT3 fired by Georgetownadmin - March 23, 2017
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Alford: 'I am staying a Bruin,' not interested in Indiana job - Jeff Goodman, ESPN – March 25, 2017
UCLA coach Steve Alford told ESPN he isn't interested in talking to his alma mater, Indiana, about its head-coaching vacancy, saying that he is staying at UCLA. "I'm absolutely, 100 percent not going to Indiana" Alford said Friday night.

Alford has a $7.8 million buyout at UCLA, but sources told ESPN that would not be the issue.

Indiana has money to burn on a new coach.

Xavier's Chris Mack, step from Final Four, soon will be coach in demand – USA Today – March 25, 2017
SAN JOSE — The most attractive job available on the college basketball coaching market remains Indiana, and if there was any remaining doubt about who athletics director Fred Glass should attempt to hire, it was removed Thursday night when Xavier’s Chris Mack thoroughly undressed his former boss Sean Miller.

Mack’s Musketeers will play No. 1 seed Gonzaga here Saturday for a spot in the Final Four, but it shouldn’t take a victory in this game, or the one he already pulled off against Arizona, to understand what an exceptional coach he is or why Indiana should cast aside its infatuation with alum Steve Alford and instead pursue the 47-year old Mack, who started his career at Evansville before transferring to Xavier.

The thornier question is whether Mack would or should actually leave his alma mater for Bloomington, especially interesting given the backdrop of this game against a coach in Mark Few who turned down so many overtures over the years his name no longer comes up on the coaching carousel.

Interesting days ahead on the carousel. If Indiana really wants Chris Mack, look for them to offer him a 6-year contract for $25 million. I don’t know if Mack would accept such an offer, but it would certainly get his attention.

On March 20th Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
Early Names to watch in the N.C. State Coaching Search (Part 2) – Pack Insider - Monday February 20, 2017

Chis Mack (Xavier)

As of now he’s making in the $1.5 million range, so could $2.5 million pull him away? Who knows. One major thing to consider is that Xavier is his Alma-mater, so there are some personal ties to his current school that might make this tough.

Indiana Basketball Coach Hot Board, Version 1.0 - The Hoosier.com (Rivals.com) free article - March 16, 2017

Chris Mack, Head Coach At Xavier

Mack's $1.1 million salary could receive a big raise at Indiana.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Mack’s present market value is easily in the range of Gregg Marshall ($3.3 million/yr.) and Shaka Smart ($3.0 million/yr.), if not higher.

On March 20th xusandy wrote:
Who in his right mind would ever ever ever want to coach at IU? They have the least forgiving administration and most demanding fan base imaginable. They truly believe that their ability to throw a lot of money at someone will turn their miserable, unhappy bball culture around. Well, that attitude will buy them a successful someone who values money above all else, but then they'll blame him and fire him when he doesn't win big in 2-3 years.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am

Archie to Indiana.... waiting on UD response in 3, 2, 1...
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:41 am

ESPN College Basketball homepage

Hoosiers expected to hire Archie Miller as new basketball coach - ESPN - 12:31 PM Saturday March 25, 2017

Dayton coach Archie Miller is expected to be the next coach at Indiana, sources told ESPN's Andy Katz on Saturday.

Miller, 38, guided the Flyers to a 24-8 record and the school's first outright Atlantic 10 Conference regular-season title this season. He also has taken Dayton to four consecutive NCAA tournaments, including reaching the Elite Eight in 2013-14.

He replaces Tom Crean, who was dismissed after nine seasons.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 am

Official Announcement - University of Dayton - March 25, 2017
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby EMT » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:52 am

Xavier fans - Do you think Chris Mack stays at X for a long time?

His name will come up for just about every job.
EMT

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:03 pm

EMT wrote:Xavier fans - Do you think Chris Mack stays at X for a long time?

Don't mess with happy. If he has a down year or two at X, he's fine. He doesn't get to the FF at Indiana and people will want him gone. Why put yourself through that when you've got a sweet gig at a great place that you love? And X is doing better than IU on the court anyway.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Xavier4036 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:24 pm

His name has come up for every job over the last 5 years. Have you been living under a rock? lol

He turned down Cal. Turned down Tennessee. We all thought it would take a true blue blood program to get him to leave. Was very nervous about IU. If Mack wanted IU, he would have gotten it. You can't argue with 3 Sweet 16's and 1 Elite 8 in his 8 years as HC. Plus his success in recruiting in Indiana (Trevon Bluiett, Paul Scruggs). Once Pitino moves on from Louisville, I would anticipate Mack would probably take the jump there. He's familiar with ACC (coached at Wake Forest), his wife is from Louisville and close to his family in Cincinnati, Louisville has boatloads of money, etc. But outside of a program like that, I don't see him leaving.

What he has done at Xavier this year with Myles Davis and Edmond Sumner, and recovering from a 6-game losing streak, is just masterful.
Xavier4036

Postby XU85 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:25 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Don't mess with happy. If he has a down year or two at X, he's fine. He doesn't get to the FF at Indiana and people will want him gone. Why put yourself through that when you've got a sweet gig at a great place that you love? And X is doing better than IU on the court anyway.

Mack is in the process of buying himself years of goodwill at his alma mater. He can stay as long as he wants. I think he will be around for a while. That being said, if he thinks he will be happier someone else I would wish him well.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Postby xusandy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 pm

As an X fan, I'm typically a bit nervous about retaining our coach about this time of year. First Bob Stack (remember him? - he left for AZ State and IMHO really started the whole upward trajectory of XU basketball), then Gillen (Providence), then Prosser (Wake), then Matta (Ohio State), and then Miller (Arizona.) A whole string of fine coaches, and every time I said to myself that they should stay -- because who wants to trade job security with a supportive administration, a loyal fan base, an improving recruiting picture, and a fine city in which to raise your kids, just for a pressure cooker job where they'll fire you ass in 2-3 years if yoou don't succeed immediately?

Well, duh, they ALL left, and so I've learned to be apprehensive after another good X run in March. So what's different this time? Well, Mack is an Alum; he has three kids and a wife who LOVE Cincy, and we're now in the Big East and can recruit top national players (take a look at who ESPN has on the XU 2019 "considering" list!) So is all that enough to offset a potential $25MM 6 year contract (almost the definition of "silly money!) at Indiana or any number of other Football 5 program offers? X simply cannot match the money he's likely to be able to get. So here I am again, more worried about the future of our program than about the huge game tonight -- why oh why?

PS. I was NOT happy to read this AM that Alford is staying at UCLA -- but then again, and as I posted earlier this week, who in his right mind would take the IU job for any reason except silly money?
xusandy

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board