Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

Postby DanofXav76 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:01 pm

xusandy wrote:As an X fan, I'm typically a bit nervous about retaining our coach about this time of year. First Bob Stack (remember him? - he left for AZ State and IMHO really started the whole upward trajectory of XU basketball), then Gillen (Providence), then Prosser (Wake), then Matta (Ohio State), and then Miller (Arizona.) A whole string of fine coaches, and every time I said to myself that they should stay -- because who wants to trade job security with a supportive administration, a loyal fan base, an improving recruiting picture, and a fine city in which to raise your kids, just for a pressure cooker job where they'll fire you ass in 2-3 years if yoou don't succeed immediately?

Well, duh, they ALL left, and so I've learned to be apprehensive after another good X run in March. So what's different this time? Well, Mack is an Alum; he has three kids and a wife who LOVE Cincy, and we're now in the Big East and can recruit top national players (take a look at who ESPN has on the XU 2019 "considering" list!) So is all that enough to offset a potential $25MM 6 year contract (almost the definition of "silly money!) at Indiana or any number of other Football 5 program offers? X simply cannot match the money he's likely to be able to get. So here I am again, more worried about the future of our program than about the huge game tonight -- why oh why?

PS. I was NOT happy to read this AM that Alford is staying at UCLA -- but then again, and as I posted earlier this week, who in his right mind would take the IU job for any reason except silly money?

Great post Sandy, just one minor error. Staak actually left for Wake, not Arizona State. You're thinking of Ned Wulk who left X after the 1957 season to go to Arizona State. Also it just broke about 90 minutes ago, Archie Miller is taking the IU job, so Xavier Nation can breathe easy and enjoy the Zaga Elite 8 game later today. Go X!!!!!!!!!!!
DanofXav76

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Wow, Miller to IU! Lets see how Dayton does with it's next hire and if they can stay on top of the A-10.
NJRedman

Postby marquette » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:44 pm

So, does Chris Mack have a younger brother or is UD going to have to get creative this time?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:44 pm

NJRedman wrote:Wow, Miller to IU! Lets see how Dayton does with it's next hire and if they can stay on top of the A-10.

Dane Fife.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Edrick » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm guessing Muller from Illinois State for Dayton
Edrick

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Archie Miller Named Indiana University Men’s Basketball Coach – Indiana University – March 25, 2017, 12:43PM
Bloomington, Indiana - Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass announced today that Archie Miller has been named the head men's basketball coach for Indiana University. Widely regarded as one of the best young coaches in college basketball, Miller is a tireless recruiter of the Midwest, noted developer of talent, and a gifted tactician whose teams are known for their stout defense and efficient offense.

The 38 year old Miller will be introduced on Monday afternoon at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall at a time to be set this weekend.

"While there was great interest in this position, Archie Miller was on my short list from the very beginning," said Glass. "The more I learned about him, the more convinced I became that he is the coach we need to meet our high expectations for many years to come. First, he has the commitments to compliance, wellness, and academics that we require at Indiana. A coach's son with the headiness and toughness to flourish as a 5'9 major college point guard, Archie is a proven leader, proven winner, proven recruiter, and a proven player developer with a defense-first mentality that will help us win championships. Perhaps most importantly, he understands and embraces the special stature of Indiana University basketball and the critical relationship it must have with its former players, Indiana high school players and programs, and the entire State of Indiana."

Indiana will pay Archie Miller around $4 million annually over 7 years – SB Nation – March 25, 2017, 1:11 PM

Best of luck to Archie Miller at Indiana. It’s hard to turn down $28 million, and Archie just might be the right man for the job.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:53 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
EMT wrote:Xavier fans - Do you think Chris Mack stays at X for a long time?

His name will come up for just about every job.

Don't mess with happy. If he has a down year or two at X, he's fine. He doesn't get to the FF at Indiana and people will want him gone. Why put yourself through that when you've got a sweet gig at a great place that you love? And X is doing better than IU on the court anyway.

Is that really the case? Who would be considered to have more job security than JT III? He could not only match Mack's Elite 8, but he had a Final Four and 8 tournament appearances, the most recent one just 2 years ago. Not only that, but he rebuilt a program that was in a shambles when he took over. But he couldn't survive back-to-back bad seasons.

Once a coach is successful, expectations rise. Even if he's the one who created those high expectations, patience will wear thin if he doesn't continue to meet them.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Archie Miller Named Indiana University Men’s Basketball Coach – Indiana University – March 25, 2017, 12:43PM
Bloomington, Indiana - Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass announced today that Archie Miller has been named the head men's basketball coach for Indiana University. Widely regarded as one of the best young coaches in college basketball, Miller is a tireless recruiter of the Midwest, noted developer of talent, and a gifted tactician whose teams are known for their stout defense and efficient offense.

The 38 year old Miller will be introduced on Monday afternoon at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall at a time to be set this weekend.

"While there was great interest in this position, Archie Miller was on my short list from the very beginning," said Glass. "The more I learned about him, the more convinced I became that he is the coach we need to meet our high expectations for many years to come. First, he has the commitments to compliance, wellness, and academics that we require at Indiana. A coach's son with the headiness and toughness to flourish as a 5'9 major college point guard, Archie is a proven leader, proven winner, proven recruiter, and a proven player developer with a defense-first mentality that will help us win championships. Perhaps most importantly, he understands and embraces the special stature of Indiana University basketball and the critical relationship it must have with its former players, Indiana high school players and programs, and the entire State of Indiana."

Indiana will pay Archie Miller around $4 million annually over 7 years – SB Nation – March 25, 2017, 1:11 PM

Best of luck to Archie Miller at Indiana. It’s hard to turn down $28 million, and Archie just might be the right man for the job.

I thought Miller and Crean were the same guy. Do the same thing and expect different results?
Bill Marsh

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Great hire by Indiana, I think he is a way better choice than Alford. Great for the Big East as well, one less spot to poach Mack or Holtmann.
Jet915

Postby Burrito » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
EMT wrote:Xavier fans - Do you think Chris Mack stays at X for a long time?

His name will come up for just about every job.

Don't mess with happy. If he has a down year or two at X, he's fine. He doesn't get to the FF at Indiana and people will want him gone. Why put yourself through that when you've got a sweet gig at a great place that you love? And X is doing better than IU on the court anyway.

Is that really the case? Who would be considered to have more job security than JT III? He could not only match Mack's Elite 8, but he had a Final Four and 8 tournament appearances, the most recent one just 2 years ago. Not only that, but he rebuilt a program that was in a shambles when he took over. But he couldn't survive back-to-back bad seasons.

Once a coach is successful, expectations rise. Even if he's the one who created those high expectations, patience will wear thin if he doesn't continue to meet them.

JT III peaked with his first group of players (Roy Hibbert and Jeff Green) who were actually recruited by the previous coach. After that, he gained a reputation for having a solid regular season and then flaming out early in the NCAA tournament to teams like Davidson, Ohio, VCU and Florida Gulf Coast. The new Big East has seen another downturn, with the Hoyas finishing 7th, 8th and 9th in the standings three of the four years. And he only had 8 scholarship players for next year. I used to think his job was safe but am glad the administration decided to move in a new direction.
Burrito

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board