Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:17 am

Previously posted:

Yow will wait until after NC State’s basketball season to evaluate Gottfried’s future - The (Raleigh NC) New & Observer – February 9, 2017
Several fans asked Yow about the future of sixth-year basketball coach Mark Gottfried on Twitter during Wednesday night’s 95-71 loss at Florida State. Debbie Yow responded during the game that, as is her standard practice, she will evaluate the season when it is over. “To all our faithful fans who follow me on twitter: I will address the season after it ends,” Yow wrote on her Twitter account during the game.

NC State Men’s Basketball to Make Change Following Season - N.C. State University Official Press Release – February 16, 2017
Mark Gottfried will not return as NC State men's basketball coach following the conclusion of the 2016-17 season, Director of Athletics Debbie Yow announced today.

Early Names to watch in the NC State Coaching Search (Part 1) – Pack Insider - February 16, 2017
Archie Miller (Dayton)
This is a no brainer. To be honest, I believe if Archie was having a bad year then the ‘fire Gottfried’ call would not have been quite as loud. However, Miller is having a great year, is tied for first in the A-10 and most likely making a move after the season. State donors and fans all realize that the time is now or never on Miller, which is likely what started the ball rolling on moving away from Gottfried despite a track record that may have at least bought him another year.

Either way, Miller would be a homerun hire for State. Would he be the best hire? I don’t know. He would certainly unite the fan base and he certainly would bring more of a structured atmosphere around the program. He is an up and comer who is on everyone’s radar. Which brings us to…

Would he come? Good question. He is an alumnus. His wife’s family lives about 1.5 hours outside Raleigh. Those are the plusses. We know his dream job is OSU and Thad Matta is having a bad season, but will they fire him? I doubt it. If that job were to open then Archie would take it. That’s pretty much the bottom line. Now, aside from that scenario, would he think about coming to NC State. We’ll have to wait and see, but it’s certainly not off the table if the Wolfpack open up their pocketbook and pay him out (offer the guy $3.5 mil and make him turn you down.)

Will Wade (VCU)

Gregg Marshall (Wichita State)

Chris Holtmann (Butler)
Lots of talk around Holtman right now. He stepped in for head coach Brandon Miller a few years ago when he was forced to take a medical leave. Holtmann was the top assistant and moved to the HC slot. Now, he’s done a pretty good job there and he’d be a nice hire, however. I think Hottmann is probably your 4th or 5th best option at this point. Sure, he’s taken a Butler program to two consecutive tournaments in his first two years, but NC State is a different animal. Coaching at NC State means much tougher competition, attracting a different type of player, etc. Could Hotlmann do it, I think so. Would he be a major upgrade to our program. Probably. Would he come to NC State? I think that is big thing with Holtmann. I think he would. With his name seemingly floating around out of nowhere, I wonder if his agent or his people aren’t the ones floating it. Maybe I’m wrong and he plays it safe and stays at Butler. I mean, he is a top 25 team and 2nd in the Big East, but maybe he wants to get paid. He’s only making about $1 mil, so a offer for $2.5 might get him if Butler doesn’t re-up.

Early Names to watch in the NC State Coaching Search (Part 2) – Pack Insider - Monday February 20, 2017
Kevin Keatts (UNCW)

Chis Mack (Xavier)
We haven’t gotten any concrete info that points to Mack being a major candidate for this job, but he does fit the mold of a guy that NC State could be looking at. He’s been very successful at Xavier, taking them to 6 NCAA tournaments in 7 years (including 3 Sweet 16s.) It’s believed that in the next few years Mack could be looking for a more high-profile gig. Should NC State reach out to Mack? Well he’s been extended through 2022, but it’s not like he’s making a ton. As of now he’s making in the $1.5 range, so could $2.5 pull him away? Who knows. One major thing to consider is that Xavier is his Alma-mater, so there are some personal ties to his current school that might make this tough.

Tom Crean (Indiana)

Vinny Del Negro (retired from NBA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forde Minutes: Coaching Carousel Edition – Pat Forde, Yahoo! – February 21, 2017
North Carolina State - Dayton’s Archie Miller already has had his name bandied about plenty, which makes sense as an alum who has done great work at Dayton. The school will clearly seek to engage him in discussion, but it’s expected that this search will go beyond Miller for multiple reasons. Miller may have concerns about working under athletic director Debbie Yow and her unknown successor – she’s expected to retire in two years. On the other side of the equation, at least one power program did its due diligence on Miller a couple of years ago and decided against pursuing him. What appears to be a natural fit on paper doesn’t mean it’s inevitable.

That would bring a number of other candidates into play, among them Will Wade of VCU, Chris Holtmann of Butler, Matt McCall of Chattanooga, Kevin Keatts of UNC-Wilmington, Pat Kelsey of Winthrop and LeVelle Moton of North Carolina Central.

As elite coaches face twilight, who will follow legends at Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville? – Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated – February 21, 2017

Prepare for Chaos: This year's coaching carousel will be the most active in years – Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated – February 23, 2017
ACC – Open - NC State: The quality of this job is an existential question among the Wolfpack fan base. The Wolfpack fan base insists it is a great gig. The expected lack of interest in the job from high-end candidates like Xavier’s Chris Mack and Dayton’s Archie Miller hints otherwise. What are the positives? There’s a big fan base, great league and rich history. The list of negatives begins with divisive athletic director Debbie Yow, who is viewed in the industry as being a huge impediment to landing a top-flight coach. Like it often does in college athletics, this search will come down to money and commitment. The savvy play would be throwing the bank at Gregg Marshall, Tom Crean, or Ben Howland. But can State afford paying in mid $3-million range? If not, it’s easy to see this search become unwieldy. The two most realistic names may be UNC-Wilmington’s Kevin Keatts and Butler’s Chris Holtmann.

Big East - Worth Monitoring - Georgetown: There’s little chance John Thompson III gets fired, especially because the program is now housed in the John Thompson Jr. Intercollegiate Athletic Center. The Hoyas project to miss their third NCAA tournament in four seasons. (Craig Esherick missed three in a row when he got fired in 2004). For now, Georgetown appears comfortable with its recent run of national irrelevance. (This Washington Post column from Barry Svrluga did a nice job illustrating the apathy around the program).

The Hoyas have won two NCAA tournament games since the 2007 Final Four. Georgetown (14–14, 5–10) is in second-to-last place in the Big East, ahead of only DePaul. It may have bottomed out Wednesday night losing to the Blue Demons at home, with DePaul point guard Billy Garrett claiming to The Hoya: “We got a sense that they kinda didn't wanna play that hard.” Another down year in 2017–18 will get people talking around Washington D.C. If Villanova can be nationally dominant, it’s reasonable to expect Georgetown to be relevant for something other than losing.

Chances he’s fired: 5%

John Thompson III’s Worst Week in Washington – Chris Cillizza, The Washington Post – February 26, 2016

Georgetown Should Fire John Thompson III, and Probably Won't - Laura Wagner, Deadspin – February 28, 2017
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Coaching Carousel & Hot Seat 2017

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:44 am

It's not the distraction the Pirates need right now and doesn't make a whole lot of sense on a program quality level, but Kevin Willard to USF rumors have been floating around lately.

I don't doubt USF's interest. They have a major mess right now and are apparently interested in Willard for the job he did cleaning up the mess Bobby Gonzalez left at Seton Hall. But why would Willard want to leave his current situation (so close to a 2nd straight tourney bid and a team of seniors next year) for a major cleanup job at a bad AAC school?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Jet915 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 am

Hall2012 wrote:It's not the distraction the Pirates need right now and doesn't make a whole lot of sense on a program quality level, but Kevin Willard to USF rumors have been floating around lately.

I don't doubt USF's interest. They have a major mess right now and are apparently interested in Willard for the job he did cleaning up the mess Bobby Gonzalez left at Seton Hall. But why would Willard want to leave his current situation (so close to a 2nd straight tourney bid and a team of seniors next year) for a major cleanup job at a bad AAC school?

USF? That makes no freakin sense...
Jet915

Postby herodotus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:26 am

Hall2012 wrote:It's not the distraction the Pirates need right now and doesn't make a whole lot of sense on a program quality level, but Kevin Willard to USF rumors have been floating around lately.

I doubt SH can keep Willard long term, but USF? There are only 2 AAC schools you would definitely leave SH for, and USF ain't one of them. I think Willard needs one more successful season to be able to attract attention from the level of school that would entice him to leave SH. If the team is rolling this time next year, SH is probably going to need a new coach.
herodotus

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:06 am

Nice collection of articles. Thank you for putting in the work to post all of those links. Greatly appreciated.

I found Pete Thamel's article particularly interesting. He's a writer I really respect, but his use of "elite" and "gilded" to refer to certain high profile programs just seems like repetition of the same old mindless bromides. To determine if a program is elite, I think we should ask if it was elite before the Hall of Fame coach who won all those games got there.

North Carolina and Kentucky are certainly special programs. Was Duke considered elite before Coach K arrived? Syracuse before Boeheim? Indiana aside from the Knight years?

As in any other profession, coaches will go for what they consider the best job. That means salary, job security, institutional supports needed to succeed, quality upper management, quality facilities, and a loyal fan base. Many programs have those elements besides the "blue bloods". The next Coach K might find what he needs somewhere other than the "gilded programs". Pitino took on reclamation projects at Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville - and succeeded at all 3. Does the coach make the program or does the program make the coach?

I often wonder if Rollie regrets ever having left Villanova. Is it better to look for a bigger challenge and more money or to appreciate what you have? Louie left for a brief fling in the ABA back in the early '70's, realized his mistake, and quickly returned to St John's. He retired as a school icon, a revered legend at the university. Rollie was wheeled out at last year's Final Four as a relic. I think Louie is the one who got it right. I think that Jay Wright knows just how good he has it at Villanova. Hopefully others will learn the same lesson.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 am

lol @ whoever thinks Willard leaves for USF. I can definitely see him bolt for Louisville, and maybe even Pitt, but he doesn't give me the impression of a man so eager to leave his post.

I think that Jay Wright knows just how good he has it at Villanova. Hopefully others will learn the same lesson.

Jay, McDermott, Mullins, and Cooley won't be poached. Mack is a local guy who I expect to stay at Xavier as well. Thompson III is either coaching Georgetown or division II. That leaves Woj and Holtmann vulnerable. Honestly as long as their athletic dept can pony up the money, I can't see them poached by the likes of NC State. As much as the Dayton fan who created this topic may think otherwise, the Big East will have a stable stable of coaches for the foreseeable future.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46 am

the thing I wonder with Willard with the group he's got, if he knows after next year, with the senior class leaving, he'd be instantly on the hot seat. While I don't think he'd leave to go down to a USF, I could easily see him making a lateral type of move, similar to what Martin did with Tennessee, leaving to go to Cal. I do think he'd wait until next year to leave, unless he's got indications that some of the guys would be leaving early.
stever20

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 am

Georgetown in a tough spot with John Thompson III - Jeff Goodman, ESPN - March 1, 2017
"Everyone knows a change needs to be made," one former player said. "But no one will dare stand up and say it."

Not with Big John Thompson, the legendary former coach and the current coach's father, around.

"Everyone is scared to death," another ex-player said.

Big John Thompson is still a fixture, customarily along the baseline at home games and his name still so very much associated with the program.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:07 pm

stever20 wrote:the thing I wonder with Willard with the group he's got, if he knows after next year, with the senior class leaving, he'd be instantly on the hot seat. While I don't think he'd leave to go down to a USF, I could easily see him making a lateral type of move, similar to what Martin did with Tennessee, leaving to go to Cal. I do think he'd wait until next year to leave, unless he's got indications that some of the guys would be leaving early.

I mean...there have also been rumors of Delgado leaving after this season to go pro (not necessarily NBA), so it's possible that could be related. If they make the tournament this year and bring everyone back to do it again next year, I imagine that would buy Willard at least a year of rebuilding time before he gets thrown on the hot seat. I don't feel like job security has much to do with it.

This isn't the first time Willard has been linked leaving SHU for a job that would be considered a downgrade. A couple years ago, he was reportedly interested in taking a Holy Cross job, which ultimately went to Bill Carmody.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby EMT » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:the thing I wonder with Willard with the group he's got, if he knows after next year, with the senior class leaving, he'd be instantly on the hot seat. While I don't think he'd leave to go down to a USF, I could easily see him making a lateral type of move, similar to what Martin did with Tennessee, leaving to go to Cal. I do think he'd wait until next year to leave, unless he's got indications that some of the guys would be leaving early.

I mean...there have also been rumors of Delgado leaving after this season to go pro (not necessarily NBA), so it's possible that could be related. If they make the tournament this year and bring everyone back to do it again next year, I imagine that would buy Willard at least a year of rebuilding time before he gets thrown on the hot seat. I don't feel like job security has much to do with it.

This isn't the first time Willard has been linked leaving SHU for a job that would be considered a downgrade. A couple years ago, he was reportedly interested in taking a Holy Cross job, which ultimately went to Bill Carmody.

If the Hall gets in this year and Delgado comes back, they make it 3 straight years and he buys himself a prolonged stint off the hot seat.
EMT

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board