"McGuire" - A One-Man Play By Dick Enberg...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:35 pm

http://www.milwaukeerep.com/Tickets--Ev ... n/McGuire/

Has anyone gone to this show? Playing in Milwaukee til mid March. Written by Dick Enberg. Would love to hear some firsthand thoughts.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/co ... /96598718/

"The show, which has been performed under different titles and with an evolving script since 2005, was written by Emmy-winning and Hall of Fame broadcaster Dick Enberg and will star Tony Award winner and Marquette alumnus Tony Crivello, both of whom were on hand at the BMO Harris Bradley Center for Marquette's 83-58 win over DePaul on Saturday.

"Those of you who had the good fortune to rub shoulders with Coach McGuire know exactly what I mean when I say once he touched you, you thought about him — I think about him every day," Enberg said. "He gave me so much during the course of our 20 years together as broadcast partners. "Frankly, I didn't like the son of a gun when I first met him. He was rude and cantankerous and evasive. ... I went from that feeling about Al to learning to love the man and (him) having an influence on my life with his street genius, the wit and wisdom of his character, complex as it can be."

Enberg, who doesn't fancy himself a playwright, didn't set out to write a play. The process toward that end began following McGuire's death in 2001 when the McGuire family asked Enberg to write the notes for the memorial program. He accomplished what he called a "daunting task" by compiling a list of "McGuireisms."
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: "McGuire" - A One-Man Play By Dick Enberg...

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:52 pm

I would pay money to see that play. Al was one of a kind. My connection to him is that I met my wife at his family's bar in Rockaway. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Return to Big East basketball message board