(3) Tuesday BE Games 2/28/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Tuesday BE Games 2/28/17

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am

last night was a huge night. Not only the right teams won if you will in the Big East- but by far a HUGE thing was Kentucky coming back to beat Vandy. That really helps the bubble teams out quite a bit IMO as Vandy would have had with that win really a tough resume to beat schedule wise and even quality wins wise.

I think 5 is pretty much a lock right now. Nova, Butler, Creighton, Seton Hall, and Providence in my mind- I've said ALL ALONG if they got to 9 wins, they are in. So they have 9 wins, therefore they are in.

You would think the winner of Xavier/Marquette tonight would be in for sure- I think that's really more the case for Xavier. Marquette still has some work to do I still think with the win.

Bottom line, there is a realistic path right now to get 7 teams. Marquette wins tonight, Xavier wins on Saturday, and Big East has IMO 7 teams pretty much in.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:06 am

stever20 wrote:last night was a huge night. Not only the right teams won if you will in the Big East- but by far a HUGE thing was Kentucky coming back to beat Vandy. That really helps the bubble teams out quite a bit IMO as Vandy would have had with that win really a tough resume to beat schedule wise and even quality wins wise.

I think 5 is pretty much a lock right now. Nova, Butler, Creighton, Seton Hall, and Providence in my mind- I've said ALL ALONG if they got to 9 wins, they are in. So they have 9 wins, therefore they are in.

You would think the winner of Xavier/Marquette tonight would be in for sure- I think that's really more the case for Xavier. Marquette still has some work to do I still think with the win.

Bottom line, there is a realistic path right now to get 7 teams. Marquette wins tonight, Xavier wins on Saturday, and Big East has IMO 7 teams pretty much in.

You think if Hall loses @Butler and then goes 1 and done in the BET, they're still in?

That seemed to be the thinking a couple weeks ago when they were projected last 4 in...win 4 of the 5 leading up to Butler and they'll be in good shape. Well, after doing exactly that (losing only to Nova), they still don't feel anywhere close to safe for me and some sources haven't moved them from last 4 in. I think the damage is that the expected "big wins" over Creighton and Xavier have lost quite a bit of their luster due to their injury problems.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 am

Hall2012 wrote:
stever20 wrote:last night was a huge night. Not only the right teams won if you will in the Big East- but by far a HUGE thing was Kentucky coming back to beat Vandy. That really helps the bubble teams out quite a bit IMO as Vandy would have had with that win really a tough resume to beat schedule wise and even quality wins wise.

You think if Hall loses @Butler and then goes 1 and done in the BET, they're still in?

That seemed to be the thinking a couple weeks ago when they were projected last 4 in...win 4 of the 5 leading up to Butler and they'll be in good shape. Well, after doing exactly that (losing only to Nova), they still don't feel anywhere close to safe for me and some sources haven't moved them from last 4 in. I think the damage is that the expected "big wins" over Creighton and Xavier have lost quite a bit of their luster due to their injury problems.

In your scenario, they're still a bubble tea, so who knows if they're in without another win? I'm thinking that they need one more win and will fall on the wrong side of the bubble if they don't get it. But what do I know?
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 am

Hall2012 wrote:

I really do. Part of it is the bottom of the bubble has really collapsed. I mean, in the bracket matrix, there's only 10 teams not in the top 36 at large(so out of the tourney). Of those 10 teams- you have Indiana who was in 1 bracket on the 27th, and Clemson in 2(with only 1 yesterday). I mean, a great case for what this year is happened over the weekend in the AAC. UCF upset Cincy. In a normal year, an AAC team who did that to get their 19th win- would be at least a factor. But this year- UCF doesn't seem like they're all that close. It's different. It seems like there's a lot more separation than ever before.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board