(4) Saturday Big East Games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Saturday Big East Games

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:12 am

Seth Davis ✔ @SethDavisHoops
Assuming Chris Mullin can keep everyone together and healthy, St. John's is gonna be in the tourney next year
REDMEN1415

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 am

Last 4 games between Marquette and Providence have come down to the final possession and/or overtime.

I left at the half cuz my son started getting a headache. Possibly the loudest crowd I've ever heard at the Dunk, and again this was in only the first half, especially on the Bullock dunk. We stopped at a Pinkberry in Cranston when it was 64-52. By the time we got back to the car it was a 1 point game. We had taped the game so watched the 2nd half last night.

Anyway, my takeaway is that both of these teams absolutely deserve NCAA bids. Marquette would drop 100 on any of these sucky non-BE bubble teams. I mean c'mon, freakin Northwestern or TCU or Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech would get run off the court by Marquette... or PC... or St John's. We have 8 or so teams that are clicking right now.

Word is that the wet floor was caused by the ice below the court (P-Bruins), combined with the warm air and general humidity outside due to 60-degree temps in Rhode Island yesterday. Wow, 60 degrees in February is pretty crazy.

There was actually a good chance that the game was going to be postponed mid-game, though i can't imagine sending 13k fans home... supposedly the largest crowd in the history of the Dunk/ Civic Center. Not sure how they would've made up the game.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:18 am

This come-from-behind win was an identical effort to the win at Creighton. Every Friar fan should be proud of these guys and their coach. Just a gritty, scrappy, hard working group of guys who play hard and play together. Thank God that Bullock stayed with the program.

Agree that both deserve a bid. If I'm X or Creighton, I'm worried about playing Marquette this week. The game at St John's should be really big for the Friars.
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:This come-from-behind win was an identical effort to the win at Creighton. Every Friar fan should be proud of these guys and their coach. Just a gritty, scrappy, hard working group of guys who play hard and play together. Thank God that Bullock stayed with the program.

Agree that both deserve a bid. If I'm X or Creighton, I'm worried about playing Marquette this week. The game at St John's should be really big for the Friars.

No way that Marquette deserves a bid. Their RPI sits at 72 and rpiforecast puts them at 57 if they win the next two. Their OOC SOS is 214.

If they split, win home, lose away, they are at 66.
EMT

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:08 pm

EMT wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:This come-from-behind win was an identical effort to the win at Creighton. Every Friar fan should be proud of these guys and their coach. Just a gritty, scrappy, hard working group of guys who play hard and play together. Thank God that Bullock stayed with the program.

No way that Marquette deserves a bid. Their RPI sits at 72 and rpiforecast puts them at 57 if they win the next two. Their OOC SOS is 214.

If they win their next 2 and a first round game in the BE tournament, their RPI will be at 53. I think that is a likely scenario. That + wins over Villanova, Vanderbilt, & Georgia makes them bid worthy IMO.
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
EMT wrote:

If they win their next 2 and a first round game in the BE tournament, their RPI will be at 53. I think that is a likely scenario. That + wins over Villanova, Vanderbilt, & Georgia makes them bid worthy IMO.

Got it.... So they don't deserve a bid, they still have work to do.
EMT

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board