hilltopalum

Re: Big East Tournament Seed Watch

Postby xavierfano8 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Awesome stuff!
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby flyerlax06 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I'll have two more of these next week. The first will be after this weekend's games and then the next one will be previewing the final Saturday of the season with all the "if this then that" scenarios for any seeds that aren't already locked up.

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby flyerlax06 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am

Here are 3 of Ken Pom's picks I will be watching closely:

Seton Hall over Georgetown by 4.

Seton Hall has everything to play for. Season on the line. They're at home and that's a plus. OTOH, their play has been erratic in February. They struggled to get by DePaul over the weekend, got blown out by Villanova by 22 at home recently, went into OT last time they played Georgetown, and lost to St John's a couple of week's ago. Ken Pom says this should be a close game. Free throws matter in close games. Georgetown is a very good FT shooting team. Seton Hall is the worst in the conference and one of the worst in the country. Maybe senior night and a bid in the offing will push the Hall over the top.

Xavier over Marquette by 3.

The stats were built on a team that had Sumner most of the season. Not any more. This game looks like a toss up to me. Home court favors Xavier and Marquette is 2-6 on the road in the Big East. So it looks like a good opportunity for Xavier to turn their season around - as long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers. They're a net negative in TOs on the season and it's been getting worse without Sumner. Marquette is a net positive. Oh yeah, and Xavier's gotta make their FTs.

Xavier over DePaul by 7.

Just a hunch, but if Xavier loses to Marquette, they will be under tremendous pressure. Given that the incentives are all with Xavier and the fact that DePaul has nothing to play for, everything should favor X. But DePaul also has nothing to lose, it's senior day, and they're at home. If Xavier carries a 6 game losing streak into this game with everything to lose, all bets are off. It could be a very difficult situation for them.
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am

Bill Marsh wrote:

Seton Hall has everything to play for. Season on the line. They're at home and that's a plus. OTOH, their play has been erratic in February. They struggled to get by DePaul over the weekend, got blown out by Villanova by 22 at home recently, went into OT last time they played Georgetown, and lost to St John's a couple of week's ago. Ken Pom says this should be a close game. Free throws matter in close games. Georgetown is a very good FT shooting team. Seton Hall is the worst in the conference and one of the worst in the country. Maybe senior night and a bid in the offing will push the Hall over the top.

I wouldn't be too worried by Seton Hall's play @ DePaul. It's not like they were in a tooth and nail battle the whole game. They built up a comfortable 20 point lead (including 14 with about 5 minutes to play) and really just got caught taking their foot off the gas. Yeah, it's not a good thing, but it's not like they played poorly the entire game. The bigger concern is Ish Sanogo, who was limited to just 8 minutes by reinjuring his ankle. If he can't go Tuesday against Georgetown, that's where the game may end up being more interesting than it should be.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 am

Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried by Seton Hall's play @ DePaul. It's not like they were in a tooth and nail battle the whole game. They built up a comfortable 20 point lead (including 14 with about 5 minutes to play) and really just got caught taking their foot off the gas. Yeah, it's not a good thing, but it's not like they played poorly the entire game. The bigger concern is Ish Sanogo, who was limited to just 8 minutes by reinjuring his ankle. If he can't go Tuesday against Georgetown, that's where the game may end up being more interesting than it should be.

What does "taking their foot off the gas" mean? They had a 20 point lead with 16 minutes to go in the game. After that, they committed a dozen fouls. Why is a team with a 20 point lead stopping the clock and putting the other team on the line? This is a veteran team. They should know better than that.

What saved them in that game is that they were making their FTs, something they normally don't do. Had they missed FTs down the stretch, they would have lost the game. With a 20 point lead, they never should have put themselves in a position to lose the game. Not in February with their season on the line. It's that kind of erratic play that has me losing faith in them. I was a booster earlier, expecting big things from them.
Bill Marsh

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 pm

No dedicated thread, so I will put it here.

Congrats to Villanova on winning another regular season crown. Other than Butler, no one was able to shut the Wildcats down. Four in a row... Wow! Congratulations.

Congrats to the Butler Bulldogs as well, for their 2nd place finish and season sweep of the champs! Well deserved finish for the Dogs.

Though not a fan of either team, gotta give credit and props where they are due. Villanova and Butler... Well Done! All the best ahead in the NCAA's.

;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby FenwayFriar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted, but here's an awesome site to project BE tournament seeds based on games this weekend. Fun to play around with.

http://bball.notnothing.net/bigeast.php?sport=mbb
FenwayFriar

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board