Holtmann at Butler

The home for Big East hoops

Holtmann at Butler

Postby crussomd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:41 am

Hey guys, I obviously am disappointed in Novas performance last night it was just like the first game against you guys. Poor foul shooting, terrible rebounding, no assists and we were;t playing with our typical energy. You guys definitely had us spinning our wheels. Anyways, I was very impressed with your coach and was wondering what the word on the street is with him staying long term. He really gets basketball and reminds me a lot of a younger Jay Wright teaching the kids fundamental basketball. The few times FS1 went inside the huddle I was really impressed. Hope Butler can keep him long term. What are your guys thoughts on that prospect?
crussomd

Holtmann at Butler

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Holtmann at Butler

Postby crussomd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:23 am

I saw that, I think he would be crazy to go to NC state. I'm more concerned if Indiana goes after him. Does Butler have the $2million a year to keep him paid?
crussomd

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 am

crussomd wrote:I saw that, I think he would be crazy to go to NC state. I'm more concerned if Indiana goes after him. Does Butler have the $2million a year to keep him paid?

They should. The FOX contract alone gives them that kind of money.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Burrito » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:47 am

NC State has made the tournament 4 of the last 6 years, making the Sweet Sixteen twice. Gottfried lost his job (midseason) because of 1-2 bad seasons.
I wonder who would consider that job. The school will want immediate results but the ACC is brutal right now. Maybe in a few years after K, Boeheim, Williams and Pitino start retiring will the conference be a little easier.
Burrito

Postby Edrick » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:52 am

There is precisely 0% chance he'd entertain the NC State job. That's just silly. Georgia Tech tried to hire him last year a couple of times and he declined to even talk.

There are VERY few jobs a sitting Big East coach would actually leave for, unless they are trying to get out ahead of getting fired (like Stallings did last year) The only one vaguely that fits the bill in anyway is JT3.

It's just not relevant.

And, anyway, Butler is paying him somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 mm and I'm sure they can work with him more if they want, but he just signed the extention.

I don't even think IU would interest him, at this point. Indiana is a headache, that's sort of proven to be a career-killer. He's got money, stability, and momentum, the team that they are going to have in a couple years is going to be nationally elite...this kind of thing is in Butler's past at this point.
Last edited by Edrick on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edrick

Postby SJUBBALL » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

Perhaps my big east bias is showing, but I think butler is a better job than NC St

And also, if he does leave, I'd bet all my money that butler just finds another gem of a coach
SJUBBALL

Postby crussomd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:12 am

Edrick wrote: He's got money, stability, and momentum, the team that they are going to have in a couple years is going to be nationally elite...this kind of thing is in Butler's past at this point.

This is exactly the kind of thinking I believe has kept Jay Wright at Nova despite Kentucky overtures and nba offers in the past. IMO if you are at a big east program and they love you and are paying you , you would be crazy to leave. Hoping he stays at Butler long term, it would be great for conference.

If Nova makes another deep run this year I fear we will lose our top assistant, Baker Dunleavy. If Gtown were smart they would hire him, because in 5-10 years he is going to be a superstar and everyone will know him.
crussomd

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:12 am

Slightly off topic, but what ever became off Brandon Miller?
GoldenWarrior11

Postby NJRedman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 am

Edrick wrote:There is precisely 0% chance he'd entertain the NC State job. That's just silly. Georgia Tech tried to hire him last year a couple of times and he declined to even talk.

There are VERY few jobs a sitting Big East coach would actually leave for, unless they are trying to get out ahead of getting fired (like Stallings did last year) The only one vaguely that fits the bill in anyway is JT3.

It's just not relevant.

And, anyway, Butler is paying him somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 mm and I'm sure they can work with him more if they want, but he just signed the extention.

I don't even think IU would interest him, at this point. Indiana is a headache, that's sort of proven to be a career-killer. He's got money, stability, and momentum, the team that they are going to have in a couple years is going to be nationally elite...this kind of thing is in Butler's past at this point.

Money talks though, so Butler better open up their check book if they want to keep him.
NJRedman

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board