Big East Tournament bracket (through Feb 19th)

The home for Big East hoops

Postby MUBasketball » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:57 am

Movement since last Sunday:

Butler +2
Marquette +1
Seton Hall +1

St. John's -2
Creighton -1
Xavier -1

MUBasketball

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East Tournament bracket (through Feb 19th)

Postby hilltopalum » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 am

who wins the tiebreaker between Marq and Seton Hall if they both finish 9-9? Marquette due to their wins over Nova and Creighton correct?
Go Jays
hilltopalum

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:45 am

If you're BU, CU, XU you want to avoid the 4/5 game. Simple as that.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 am

hilltopalum wrote:who wins the tiebreaker between Marq and Seton Hall if they both finish 9-9? Marquette due to their wins over Nova and Creighton correct?

Correct, but really just because of the win over Villanova. Both teams have a win over Creighton and if Marquette were to finish the sweep, that would eliminate the Jays from being able to catch Nova in the standings (if they hadn't already been by that point). So, unless I'm missing something, there's no way it can become relevant in a SHU-MU tiebreaker.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby hilltopalum » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 am

Hall2012 wrote:
hilltopalum wrote:who wins the tiebreaker between Marq and Seton Hall if they both finish 9-9? Marquette due to their wins over Nova and Creighton correct?

Correct, but really just because of the win over Villanova. Both teams have a win over Creighton and if Marquette were to finish the sweep, that would eliminate the Jays from being able to catch Nova in the standings (if they hadn't already been by that point). So, unless I'm missing something, there's no way it can become relevant in a SHU-MU tiebreaker.

Thanks! Do you think Hall would rather be a 6 than 5? The 6 would likely play Creighton who Hall seems to match up well with, but would arguably be a tough game than a 4/5 match up versus a struggling Xavier team. If Hall were to jump into the 4/5 game I think they'd be favored to win, how much is that initial BET win to their bubble chances?
Go Jays
hilltopalum

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 am

hilltopalum wrote:
Thanks! Do you think Hall would rather be a 6 than 5? The 6 would likely play Creighton who Hall seems to match up well with, but would arguably be a tough game than a 4/5 match up versus a struggling Xavier team. If Hall were to jump into the 4/5 game I think they'd be favored to win, how much is that initial BET win to their bubble chances?

I'd rather get the 6 and have Butler fall to the 4. No disrespect to CU or XU, but I'd rather have to go through them both than have the possibility of facing Butler before the final. Aside from Villanova, the Bulldogs are the only team that scares me as Seton Hall simply has never played well against them.

To more specifically answer your question, if I really had to choose between playing Creighton and Xavier I think I'd slightly prefer Xavier. Their injury problems are worse at the moment and I feel like at the very least, Seton Hall should be able to get into the final minutes within striking distance. The only thing that scares me about Creighton is I feel like they have that ability to suddenly get absurdly hot from 3 and bury you with a quick, big run (like Nova did to us on Saturday). That really been the biggest weakness for the Pirates this year - they're good for having 1 big double digit run against them every game, that they just seem to get rattled by and can't break. When they finally break it, they're in a big whole and forced to expend a lot of energy clawing their way back.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby kmacker69 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:17 am

I like the current seeds, but think CU will end up with the two and BU the 3. (CU owns the tie break with us.) Not a huge difference playing the 6 or the 7, except for the lateness of the game, which for some reason has a negative effect on how Butler plays. Part of why I expect a butt whipping at Nova. Other part is they're damn good and especially hard to beat at home.
Oh and Creighton seems to be figuring out how to play without Mo and are becoming a very dangerous team again!
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby hilltopalum » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Jays would need Butler to drop 1-2 which is possible, but I see Butler going 2-1 with wins over Hall at home and Xavier on the road. If Butler goes 2-1, the Jays would have to go 3-1 would need wins @ Nova, @ Marq and home to Providence and SJU. I think its more likely the Jays go 2-2 in that stretch.
Go Jays
hilltopalum

Postby MUBasketball » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:49 pm

MUBasketball wrote:Movement since last Sunday:

Butler +2
Marquette +1
Seton Hall +1

St. John's -2
Creighton -1
Xavier -1

Sorry everybody. For some reason as I was jotting down records this weekend I didn't notice the Nova win over Seton Hall wasn't yet updated when I put those records on paper. Nova is now 13-2 and Seton Hall is 6-8. This causes a 3 way tie between Providence, Seton Hall, and St. John's. In this "min-conference" St. John's wins going 2-1 so they are the 6 seed. Providence is correctly listed as #8. On this bracket swap Seton Hall and St. John's.

Sorry about that!
MUBasketball

Return to Big East basketball message board