Are the refs killing the game?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby REDMEN1415 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I think they think they're part of the game.
There's no flow to it
REDMEN1415

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Are the refs killing the game?

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:I think they think they're part of the game.
There's no flow to it

fact...
FTR which is FTA/FGA is down this year in the Big East conference games from 38.4% to 35.1%.

Sorry, but we are not going back ever to how it was prior to the freedom of movement initiatives.

And refs have to call it like this, or they don't work in the NCAA tourney. Bottom line.
stever20

Postby sciencejay » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:I think they think they're part of the game.
There's no flow to it

I wouldn't say they are killing the game, but they are too inconsistent to be acceptable. Not to try to sound like an old guy, but there used to be only two refs per game, and I don't remember thinking that the officiating was any worse than it is now.

Four points:
(1) There is too much money in NCAA men's basketball not to have full-time refs. Then they could spend more time training and working together to increase consistency game to game and within games.
(2) Related to that, the crews have to work together to call a consistent game for both teams on both ends of the court. IMO, there is nothing worse than watching a game where the baseline ref on one end calls it tight and the baseline ref on the other end lets them play. Yes, refs swap positions from time to time, but the ref that calls it tight always calls it tight, and the ref that lets them play always lets them play, so we see dramatic inconsistencies of what is a foul and what isn't. Within a game, this can't happen. People say that the different strike zones among MLB umpires aren't terrible because each ump calls it consistently, so the first few innings the pitchers and hitters figure out where the strike zone is and the rest of the game everyone knows what to expect. When you have three refs all calling their own game, the players can't ever figure out how to play. Truly unacceptable.
(3) There's three refs on the floor keeping track of 10 players (typically bunched in five groups of two). HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO SEE EVERYTHING? I know the perspective is different (ground level vs bird's eye view), but why do we spectators (live or on TV) see obvious fouls that one of the three refs apparently doesn't see? Occasionally, that could happen, but not with the frequency with which it currently does. Complete BS.
(4) Finally, grow some cajones refs. Contact that is a foul in the first half is also a foul in the last seconds of a tie game. A foul is a foul. Period. When a call happens late, it's not the refs deciding the game. It's a player making a foul that contributes to the final outcome of the game. End of story. But again, when there is no consistency at any time during a game/season, how can we ask them to be consistent then?

(Now talk amongst yourselves)
sciencejay

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Killing the game is a bit of a stretch, but they certainly have their frustrating moments. In Wednesday's SHU-CU game for example, their definition of a "foul" made little sense. Going both ways, it seemed like they were calling every little touch on the perimeter but would swallow their whistles when a guy got mugged in the paint. I mean, I guess they were at least somewhat consistent with this (better than I can say about a lot of refs), but their priorities seemed to be in a weird place.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Sometimes I think coaches are killing the game. The coaches exercise so much control it can seem mechanical and robotic. They need cut the media timeouts from 4 to 2 per half and cut the shot clock to 23.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby RxJay » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Why don't the refs have do post game interviews? Both coaches and player have to. Let the press ask questions on some of the calls. They are never held accountable.
Creighton 70
RxJay

Postby TrueBlueJay » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:49 pm

DudeAnon wrote: cut the shot clock to 23.

No, no, no, no - please God no!
TrueBlueJay

Postby xavierfano8 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Yes.
Xavier University '12
xavierfano8

Postby kmacker69 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:27 pm

NOOOOO! The college game doesn't need to be more like the NBA! Already getting too far down that road. Let them play and don't try and be a minor league for the NBA!
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Return to Big East basketball message board