UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

Postby Xudash » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Definitely.

The business case, if you want to refer to it as that, for UCONN in the Big East is rather obvious.

However, we are looking at a serious infusion of poison when it comes to injecting their fan base into this Big East. Some here may find that enjoyable; the "spice it up camp" I guess. Others will find them to be a nuisance.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CPJays » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Pretty funny flipping over to tge UCONN game during half time and hearing the announcers praise Villanova for a good 3 mins instead of talking about UCONN or Temple :lol: .
CPJays

Postby H.U.S.T.L.E. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 pm

I think a lot of people in this thread are off the mark when it comes to UConn football. I think they're far less a flight risk in the Big East with an independent football program because they don't offer much upside to P5 conferences. I don't foresee a P5 invite coming for lots of reasons.

The two conferences that make the most sense for UConn (the B1G and ACC) have shown zero to little interest for various reasons. And of the two, I'd say the one more likely to add them is the B1G, even though it might seem counterintuitive.

The reason the B1G might be interested moreso than the ACC is to expand their network footprint. That was a big reason for adding Maryland and Rutgers, but another huge benefit of those programs coming into the fold was adding those regions to the recruiting footprint of the conference. Connecticut doesn't have the same appeal. They may offer a large population for potential subscribers, but its impact on football talent is practically zilch. Jersey and the DMV region are fertile recruiting grounds, while Connecticut doesn't generate a lot of FBS talent.

When it comes to the ACC, adding UConn doesn't really expand their footprint. There's too much overlap. The northeast region in the ACC already includes BC, Syracuse and (to a lesser degree) Pitt. Those three schools also don't want any more competition for football recruits in their backyard. Throw in long-standing issues between BC and UConn and I don't think UConn has much hope of inclusion regardless of their basketball pedigree. Plus, it's not like the ACC is hurting for marquee basketball programs.

In addition to the northernmost ACC programs likely objecting, the southern football powers in the conference like Clemson and FSU would see UConn as only another mouth to feed. Despite UConn's supposed willingness to spend on football, they face inherent challenges to football success that many overlook in realignment discussions. They have a low ceiling in P5 football and don't bring enough to the table to warrant entry. That might be harsh, but that seems to be the general barrier to entry so far.

This is a long-winded way of saying, "Go ahead and add them to the Big East. Their football program isn't attractive enough to P5 conferences to worry about them leaving for one."
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:45 am

Xudash wrote:Definitely.

The business case for UCONN in the Big East is rather obvious.

What is the business case for UConn to the Big East, XU Dash? They lose money by making that move.
Bill Marsh

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 am

Bill Marsh wrote:

What is the business case for UConn to the Big East, XU Dash? They lose money by making that move.

There would be a couple of reasons for that, Bill - and none that I list are intended to pick fight or diminish UConn in anyway. For starters, UConn football is and has been trending down for the past few years. Even while Edsall was there, and they were member of a power football conference, UConn has never reached ten wins in a season, and they didn't do the Big East any favors by sending a low number of fans to the Fiesta Bowl. They made nuclear hires in both Pasqualoni and Diaco, and re-hiring Edsall truly appears to be a Hail Mary in order to save the program. The biggest issue for UConn Football today is the fact that it is not in a regional conference, thus it is unable to build off local rivals and generate interest from local recruits.

Now, UConn's commitment towards P5 football in terms of resources and program improvements is unquestioned. They have renovated the stadium, built a football facility, and chose to stay in the American because they have prioritized football in order to get into a power conference. No one should question that decision. However, the reason why there will always be critics (like Rothstein) who promote UConn back to the Big East is because now the ethical question for UConn becomes "How long do basketball and Olympic sports take a secondary interest to football, and what duration can they afford to keep it going?"

As much as AAC fans dislike Dodds passionately, he spoke this week on how he has heard the next AAC contract will be similar to C-USA levels. It will not get bumped up to the $4, $5, or $6 million many AAC fans believe their schools are worth, and it certainly won't be treated like a power conference. Now, who knows if that will be the reality, but the fact that there are reports about how low the next deal will be, doesn't bode well for UConn or other American programs. If UConn cannot get more than $4 million for football in a conference, then it would absolutely behoove them to not look at and seriously consider going back to the Big East. It would keep Olympic sports' travel costs down, by regularly competing against regional rivals like Seton Hall, Providence, St. Johns, Villanova and Georgetown, and it would improve the conference prestige of all of their Olympic sports - including basketball.

The other recent development that affects UConn is the fact that Liberty got promoted to FBS status as an independent, and not required to join a conference under a waiver. This will absolutely open the door for a wave of FCS schools to make the jump up - like Youngstown St., Jacksonville State and others. It will also make independent schools easier to schedule for, as any school looking to go Independent now has options. It also hurts UConn football in a way, as the more schools get called up to FBS, the more likely the P5 decide to move further and further away, not wanting to share money with the G5.

The reality is (and BEH and others on CSNBBS have vehemently argued against this) that I truly believe that UConn is not a member of the American past 2020. They may be in the Big East, they may be in the B1G or ACC, they may just be independent - but it won't be in the American. At that point, the writing will be on the wall about whether or not they will be called up, and whether or not they can continue shelling out cash for empty home stadiums against Tulane, SMU, UCF, USF, East Carolina and Tulsa. I don't think Edsall will be able to turn things around that quickly against USF, UCF, Cincinnati, Temple or ECU in the East. All of those programs have superior football prestige, and all have much better recruiting areas. It'll just be too tough.

While I am firmly in the camp of believing UConn will be back in the Big East, I do think UConn was unfairly blacklisted and never truly had a realistic shot at getting into the ACC, B1G or any power conference after the original Big East fell apart. When Louisville was selected over them for the last spot created by Rutgers should have been the writing on the wall. The only UConn can do now is accept the conditions of where FBS football is today, and then make the best decisions for the rest of their athletic program - before they, too, start to become unfairly devalued over time.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby NJRedman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:46 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
While I am firmly in the camp of believing UConn will be back in the Big East, I do think UConn was unfairly blacklisted and never truly had a realistic shot at getting into the ACC, B1G or any power conference after the original Big East fell apart. When Louisville was selected over them for the last spot created by Rutgers should have been the writing on the wall. The only UConn can do now is accept the conditions of where FBS football is today, and then make the best decisions for the rest of their athletic program - before they, too, start to become unfairly devalued over time.

I don't think UConn was blacklisted. I think they had support from Tobacco Road for that last spot until the ACC FB powers FSU and Clemson spoke up about another basketball school with weak FB being added. The two sides had a compromise school in Louisville standing right there. I don't think UConn had any shot at the B1G, it just doesn't have the history and size that conference wants.
NJRedman

Postby Xudash » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:

Bill, I was writing from the vantage point of the BE, not UCONN's position.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Xudash wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Bill, I was writing from the vantage point of the BE, not UCONN's position.

Got it. Thanks. 8-)
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

There would be a couple of reasons for that, Bill - and none that I list are intended to pick fight or diminish UConn in anyway. For starters, UConn football is and has been trending down for the past few years. Even while Edsall was there, and they were member of a power football conference, UConn has never reached ten wins in a season, and they didn't do the Big East any favors by sending a low number of fans to the Fiesta Bowl. They made nuclear hires in both Pasqualoni and Diaco, and re-hiring Edsall truly appears to be a Hail Mary in order to save the program. The biggest issue for UConn Football today is the fact that it is not in a regional conference, thus it is unable to build off local rivals and generate interest from local recruits.

Now, UConn's commitment towards P5 football in terms of resources and program improvements is unquestioned. They have renovated the stadium, built a football facility, and chose to stay in the American because they have prioritized football in order to get into a power conference. No one should question that decision. However, the reason why there will always be critics (like Rothstein) who promote UConn back to the Big East is because now the ethical question for UConn becomes "How long do basketball and Olympic sports take a secondary interest to football, and what duration can they afford to keep it going?"

As much as AAC fans dislike Dodds passionately, he spoke this week on how he has heard the next AAC contract will be similar to C-USA levels. It will not get bumped up to the $4, $5, or $6 million many AAC fans believe their schools are worth, and it certainly won't be treated like a power conference. Now, who knows if that will be the reality, but the fact that there are reports about how low the next deal will be, doesn't bode well for UConn or other American programs. If UConn cannot get more than $4 million for football in a conference, then it would absolutely behoove them to not look at and seriously consider going back to the Big East. It would keep Olympic sports' travel costs down, by regularly competing against regional rivals like Seton Hall, Providence, St. Johns, Villanova and Georgetown, and it would improve the conference prestige of all of their Olympic sports - including basketball.

The other recent development that affects UConn is the fact that Liberty got promoted to FBS status as an independent, and not required to join a conference under a waiver. This will absolutely open the door for a wave of FCS schools to make the jump up - like Youngstown St., Jacksonville State and others. It will also make independent schools easier to schedule for, as any school looking to go Independent now has options. It also hurts UConn football in a way, as the more schools get called up to FBS, the more likely the P5 decide to move further and further away, not wanting to share money with the G5.

The reality is (and BEH and others on CSNBBS have vehemently argued against this) that I truly believe that UConn is not a member of the American past 2020. They may be in the Big East, they may be in the B1G or ACC, they may just be independent - but it won't be in the American. At that point, the writing will be on the wall about whether or not they will be called up, and whether or not they can continue shelling out cash for empty home stadiums against Tulane, SMU, UCF, USF, East Carolina and Tulsa. I don't think Edsall will be able to turn things around that quickly against USF, UCF, Cincinnati, Temple or ECU in the East. All of those programs have superior football prestige, and all have much better recruiting areas. It'll just be too tough.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive explanation.

I certainly can see the benefits of UConn moving to a more northern and eastern based conference with traditional rivals and more prestige and less travel. All of that makes perfect sense.

Here's the thing. UConn loses a lot of money by leaving the AAC:

1. They lose all of the football playoff revenue that goes back to conferences for distribution to their members. About $1.4 million annually.
2. They lose their share of any bowl money that is shared within the conference.
3. They would have to pay a $10 million exit fee.
4. They would leave behind their share of any NCAA tournament money earned by the AAC in the previous 6 years. I'm sure that the BE would not give them a share of any tournament money earned while they were not a member of the conference. So, it would take years for them to wait for a full BE share to replace the tournament money that they had been getting from the AAC.

If the issue is financial losses incurred by football, this isn't helping. It's making a bad situation worse - at least in the early years of such a move. The only way for them to eliminate those financial losses connected with football is to eliminate the sport itself. As long as a school has football, it's a financial drain.
Bill Marsh

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Excellent discussions on this topic. Bill Marsh points out some salient facts in his discussion on finances.

Including:
Here's the thing. UConn loses a lot of money by leaving the AAC:

1. They lose all of the football playoff revenue that goes back to conferences for distribution to their members. About $1.4 million annually.
2. They lose their share of any bowl money that is shared within the conference.
3. They would have to pay a $10 million exit fee.
4. They would leave behind their share of any NCAA tournament money earned by the AAC in the previous 6 years. I'm sure that the BE would not give them a share of any tournament money earned while they were not a member of the conference. So, it would take years for them to wait for a full BE share to replace the tournament money that they had been getting from the AAC.

Bottom line is always dinars...Might not the Huskies be better off remaining in the American?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board