UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UCONN to Big East? Rumors and discussion thread

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Yeah there is no grey area. They would sign away there BBall rights to the BE. If UConn comes that pretty much means they aren't playing FBS FB.

Even then if they don't they still can't just leave and break the GoR.

How much do you think that basketball GOR is worth in actual dollars?

I will try to better understand your perspective.
Go Nova
Dave

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Dave wrote:
Yeah there is no grey area. They would sign away there BBall rights to the BE. If UConn comes that pretty much means they aren't playing FBS FB.

Thats for the lawyers to work out. Even if it's 4 mil a year thats more than a 10 million exit fee negotiated down to 7.5
NJRedman

Postby Michael in Raleigh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Dave wrote:

It's worth the entire amount remaining on a school's portion of a Conference media contract. So, if the Big East had a GOR, and, say, Villanova decided to leave prior to the end of the GOR (which would end at the end of the media deal), Villanova would owe $32 million. (Approximately $4M/year X 8 years left on the Fox contract.)

There's more to it, but that's the money part of it.
Michael in Raleigh

Postby TrueBlueJay » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Rothstein reported during the SHU CU game that both UCONN and Big East say no discussions have taken place, it sounded like almost a retraction to me.
TrueBlueJay

Postby kayako » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 pm

I respect your criteria under #4, but, notwithstanding them, how would you feel if I proposed St. Joe's for the Big East? More specifically, how would you react if I proposed a school in your backyard for which you have no appetite for inclusion in the conference?

I don't make that call, but if it improves our conference I wouldn't object to it. Fortunately for me, none of the other Philly schools are even worth debating. If Xavier is dead set against Dayton, sure we can talk about VCU, or whatever the next best school is.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 pm

crussomd wrote:I will repeat my previous statements that I think we should tread extremely carefully breaking up the all private school league we currently have. Unless presented with the perfect opportunity down the road after crazy realignment shakeouts (Duke, WF, ND) we should stay at 10. There is some merit to the argument to UCONN adding value to MSG and at renewal time for fox contract. However, they add instability even with a $50million exit fee and change our brand image. This should be considered carefully more than short term gain. Do you know what the best additions to the Big east would be? Gtown and St Johns being perennially good and tourney teams each year.

1 FBS school can't cause instability. I do agree with your last point. We have a lot more to gain by improving from within.
supernova
kayako

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 pm

stever20 wrote:Maryland in 2014 finished 17-15 in the ACC. had the #10 SOS in the country. Do you know what that got them? Nothing- not even a NIT bid. So how does the committee reward teams like that? Like it or not, your win-loss record matters. Until the committee starts to take teams like Maryland in 2014, I think you are wrong.

Their win loss record against the kenpom top 50 that year was 3-11 and they only won 2 top 50 games all year in the ACC out of their 9 conference wins. Why is that? Unbalanced schedule. They had single home game wins against Notre Dame (#96), Georgia Tech (#114), Miami (#77) and Wake Forest (#118), and lost against Duke (#8), North Carolina (#29), Clemson (#51) and NC State (#62) all once, all on the road.

Who you beat matters. Getting a guaranteed game against good teams at home gives you a better opportunity to get quality wins to get to the tournament.
Last edited by Irishdawg on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irishdawg

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:Rothstein reported during the SHU CU game that both UCONN and Big East say no discussions have taken place, it sounded like almost a retraction to me.

Everyone always denies talking until the press conference happens. No one ever admits to talking to schools about membership.
NJRedman

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Thats for the lawyers to work out.

I understand, GOR vs exit fee can be complicated. That is why I'm offering another perspective to the GOR. If you don't know how much a GOR is worth and its security vs. an exit fee, maybe slowing your roll in demanding one is prudent.

It's worth the entire amount remaining on a school's portion of a Conference media contract. So, if the Big East had a GOR, and, say, Villanova decided to leave prior to the end of the GOR (which would end at the end of the media deal), Villanova would owe $32 million. (Approximately $4M/year X 8 years left on the Fox contract.)

There's more to it, but that's the money part of it.

Well, that's closer. It wouldn't be worth more than "the entire amount remaining on a school's portion of the media contract". But let's start with that. Let's say UConn started with the Big East next year and then exited 5 years later. So 3 years left x ~$4M = $12M, probably the max that could be expected.

A fixed exit fee of $15M in this case, strengthened by the old 27 month notice, likely yields a higher amount.

Now with a GOR case that goes to court, the downside is if a judge rules with compensatory damages, and there don't prove to be any. For example, if the FS1 TV contract increases with a $4.xM/year UConn addition (which is likely), and reduces with their exit, there may be no real compensatory damages.

A high but reasonable fixed exit fee (with a notice term) may be the best security for a new member. Also if it is required of UConn, maybe they would apply it to all members.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:34 am

here's the thing....

If you have a certain record, no matter how good your schedule is, you just will not get considered. You could have had all great losses, and with some great wins, but end of the day your record just isn't good enough. Georgetown this year could wind up being a poster child for that. Meanwhile, at a certain point, you can overcome your SOS and still make the tourney from a conference like the Big East.

It's easier to get considered if you have 20 wins and a mediocre SOS than it is if you have 17 wins and a great SOS. Just look at Marquette- they get to 20 wins, their RPI is 47.4. Meanwhile, if Georgetown is at 17 wins, their RPI is 56.4. Marquette could salvage a loss in the BET and still make it in easily at 20-12. Georgetown at 17-15 would have likely no chance, even though Georgetown's SOS is overall 12th compared to Marquette at 60th.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board