UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:08 pm

DudeAnon wrote:What do you expect him to say? Aside from the Big 12, nobody is dumb enough to publicly announce their expansion plans.

I think there's a chance for an explosive summer.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:18 pm

I will say this in Dayton's favor (VCU also), I think we can all expect them to get a "Big East" bump once added as well. Butler, Xavier and Creighton were all good school's in their respective conferences but the added profile and resources of the "Big East" has allowed each to raise their recruiting to arguably its highest level.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby sheg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Hey dudes and dudettes,

Long time no talk. I haven't been on here since the 2016 version of this thread. Reminder for you that I'm a Dayton guy. I peeked in to see what you guys were saying about UConn and the AAC.

See, I've decided that Dayton isn't getting invited to the Big East. Not because they don't belong or that it wouldn't be a great fit on both sides, but because Xavier doesn't want them in. I think it's a shame, but if that's what they want, so be it, no fighting city hall.

So I've been trying to decide what to think about this American situation. Part of me is scared about a hybrid conference (as I'm sure a lot of you can testify to). The other part wants it for better top to bottom competition.

By the way, the Twitter denials are meaningless. You always deny everything whether it's true or not.

Anyway, the reason I logged in to post: I think Gonzaga would be a terrible addition for the Big East. The next five years, they might be great. But if/when Few retires to smoke dope and fish 365 days a year instead of just 300, they are going to drop off. How far? Who knows, maybe to 30 ish. That wouldn't be bad. But say their average year is 50. Now do you want them? At 75? At 100?

Further, they will deliver virtually zero attendance. They will add virtually nothing to your TV ratings with 10 pm Eastern starts. They bring no rivalry. They are great, and if they were located in Pittsburgh, they're perfect for you. But they're not, and if i were the presidents, I'd NEVER take them, even to complete a certain desired conference size. Just my opinion, and I'm not trying to downplay another to enhance my own school's position.

P.S. Muddy, stop posting here. You're not helping, and the world already thinks UD fans are obnoxious enough without you "helping."
sheg

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50 pm

sheg wrote:By the way, the Twitter denials are meaningless. You always deny everything whether it's true or not.

If you ask me, such swift denials all but confirms something's cooking at least.
supernova
kayako

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm

sheg wrote:Hey dudes and dudettes,

Long time no talk. I haven't been on here since the 2016 version of this thread. Reminder for you that I'm a Dayton guy. I peeked in to see what you guys were saying about UConn and the AAC.

See, I've decided that Dayton isn't getting invited to the Big East. Not because they don't belong or that it wouldn't be a great fit on both sides, but because Xavier doesn't want them in. I think it's a shame, but if that's what they want, so be it, no fighting city hall.

So I've been trying to decide what to think about this American situation. Part of me is scared about a hybrid conference (as I'm sure a lot of you can testify to). The other part wants it for better top to bottom competition.

By the way, the Twitter denials are meaningless. You always deny everything whether it's true or not.

Anyway, the reason I logged in to post: I think Gonzaga would be a terrible addition for the Big East. The next five years, they might be great. But if/when Few retires

Mark Few just turned 54. He can coach another 15-20 years. They're a well managed program that makes good hires. Their string of success actually began with their previous coach who took them to the Elite 8.

to smoke dope and fish 365 days a year instead of just 300, they are going to drop off. How far? Who knows, maybe to 30 ish. That wouldn't be bad. But say their average year is 50. Now do you want them? At 75? At 100?

Further, they will deliver virtually zero attendance.

Gonzaga fans have a reputation for traveling well. They turned out in full force again in this year's tourney 800 miles from home.

They will add virtually nothing to your TV ratings with 10 pm Eastern starts.

Gonzaga home games normally start at 6:00 on weekdays right now. That translates to a 9:00 East Coast start, 8:00 Central. No different than many Big East starts. They have started week night games as early as 5:00/5:30, so I'm sure they'd have no problem being flexible.

They bring no rivalry. They are great, and if they were located in Pittsburgh, they're perfect for you. But they're not, and if i were the presidents, I'd NEVER take them, even to complete a certain desired conference size. Just my opinion, and I'm not trying to downplay another to enhance my own school's position.

P.S. Muddy, stop posting here. You're not helping, and the world already thinks UD fans are obnoxious enough without you "helping."
Bill Marsh

Postby SJU1987 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Also, does the Big East have a bylaw banning the practice of booting members.

I feel it would be a good impetus for struggling programs.

Are you serious ? You've been in the Big East 4 years and you wanna boot teams that have been in the Big East for over 38 years ?????????? Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!
SJU1987

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Big East Conference Attendance
Wednesday - 14,830
Thursday - 17,324 + 16,003

American Conference Attendance
Thursday - Unreported/Unannounced

There's a reason why the AAC and UConn won't announce the actual attendance...
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Big East Conference Attendance
Wednesday - 14,830
Thursday - 17,324 + 16,003

American Conference Attendance

That looks like more than last year! Lol, #americanstrong
Jet915

Postby kayako » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:American Conference Attendance

ACC did 8,656 Tuesday 17,732 Wednesday 17,732 Thursday

Can't find the figures for American
supernova
kayako

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:42 am

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20170311/sunday-gravy-sorting-through-possible-tom-moore-replacements-at-quinnipiac

Athletic director Greg Amodio was hired two years ago to get men’s basketball on par with Quinnipiac’s other revenue-driving sports. The school elevated to the MAAC in 2014, with the intention to make itself attractive for another upgrade. School president John Lahey has said he believes there’s Big East potential here.

Quinnipiac believes they are a long-term candidate for the Big East. They are already an associate member for Field Hockey.
GoldenWarrior11

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board