UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Also, does the Big East have a bylaw banning the practice of booting members.

I feel it would be a good impetus for struggling programs.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:51 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The problem is perception. Most people still haven't bought into the idea that "we" are the Big East versus the OBE.

I would argue the best way to fix that perception issue is by winning. Currently Dayton has that pedigree. I would argue for their addition this year.

Ditch the round-robin. Expand to 11 with Dayton for now.

Or go to 20 conference games, and keep the round-robin with an addition in Dayton. It improves the strength of the league, adds another consistently strong men's basketball program, and would add another solid fan base and attendance figure each year.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xudash » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:58 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The problem is perception. Most people still haven't bought into the idea that "we" are the Big East versus the OBE.

I would argue the best way to fix that perception issue is by winning. Currently Dayton has that pedigree. I would argue for their addition this year.

According to who? The Big East is what the Big East is now, and it is between grudgingly and admiringly viewed as a successful basketball-centric conference. Its member teams are respected in the sport - for the most part - it continues to chalk up strong conference performance rankings and heavy NCAA Tournament participation, and it now holds a NC via Nova.

Please let me know if you decide to go to New York to argue for UD's inclusion this year. I'll fly up to witness that effort. Of course, you may want to run your idea by a few people on Victory Parkway before you make travel arrangements.

It's a damn shame what has happened to Xavier and Creighton this year. Frankly, I mention that even more so with respect to Creighton, because they truly appeared to be a F4 prospect before Mo went down in the Cintas Center. Then again, look where the conference has landed as everyone begins to descend on NYC: the noise on the wire includes the notion of from 6 to 7 BE teams making the Dance.

What perception is there to fix when a conference gets at or beyond 50% of its members into the Dance on an almost annual basis? And that round-robin you want to ditch is a key driver to the Big East's present level of performance.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 am

Xudash wrote:

According to who? The Big East is what the Big East is now, and it is between grudgingly and admiringly viewed as a successful basketball-centric conference. Its member teams are respected in the sport - for the most part - it continues to chalk up strong conference performance rankings and heavy NCAA Tournament participation, and it now holds a NC via Nova.

Please let me know if you decide to go to New York to argue for UD's inclusion this year. I'll fly up to witness that effort. Of course, you may want to run your idea by a few people on Victory Parkway before you make travel arrangements.

It's a damn shame what has happened to Xavier and Creighton this year. Frankly, I mention that even more so with respect to Creighton, because they truly appeared to be a F4 prospect before Mo went down in the Cintas Center. Then again, look where the conference has landed as everyone begins to descend on NYC: the noise on the wire includes the notion of from 6 to 7 BE teams making the Dance.

What perception is there to fix when a conference gets at or beyond 50% of its members into the Dance on an almost annual basis? And that round-robin you want to ditch is a key driver to the Big East's present level of performance.

I have no data to backup my view, its simply my gut feeling on the Big East's public perception. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Dayton would be a net positive. Aside from UCONN, they are the best candidate: 1) Winning (although Archie needs to have a contract signed in blood). 2) Attendance, including MSG. 3) Rivalries. Most of us already hate em lol

I think we should add em before AAC gets em.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby EMT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:12 am

I think Archie is just waiting for the right job to open up and then he is gone. And it ain't NC State.
EMT

Postby billyjack » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am

If we were going to add a team:

My only problem with Dayton, which I've always had and which is a big one, is if Xavier wants to block them... loyalty to our current XU conference-mates is important. If XU gives their blessing, then I think Dayton would be a good addition.

And I think most of us are good with Dayton. Even if Archie leaves, they have a great fanbase and they seem to know their college hoops. Over the last 5 years or so I think they've established themselves as a respected program to general hoops fans. If we added them, I think the non-BE talking heads would consider it a positive.

But I'm too far away to understand the SW Ohio dynamic. Dayton is 45 miles from Xavier. For PC, we're 30 miles from URI and I'd be against adding them. But we're 50 miles from UConn, who I'd be fine with. I'm also fine with any Massachusetts team (if the team were solid, which none are right now), also 30 to 50 miles away.
Providence
billyjack

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 pm

billyjack wrote:If we were going to add a team:

My only problem with Dayton, which I've always had and which is a big one, is if Xavier wants to block them... loyalty to our current XU conference-mates is important. If XU gives their blessing, then I think Dayton would be a good addition.

And I think most of us are good with Dayton. Even if Archie leaves, they have a great fanbase and they seem to know their college hoops. Over the last 5 years or so I think they've established themselves as a respected program to general hoops fans. If we added them, I think the non-BE talking heads would consider it a positive.

But I'm too far away to understand the SW Ohio dynamic. Dayton is 45 miles from Xavier. For PC, we're 30 miles from URI and I'd be against adding them. But we're 50 miles from UConn, who I'd be fine with. I'm also fine with any Massachusetts team (if the team were solid, which none are right now), also 30 to 50 miles away.

It will be interesting to see how it goes down. I do believe Dayton would be the smallest city in the conference, so that doesn't help. But their fanbase would be among the strongest. So IDK.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
billyjack wrote:If we were going to add a team:

It will be interesting to see how it goes down. I do believe Dayton would be the smallest city in the conference, so that doesn't help. But their fanbase would be among the strongest. So IDK.

Yeah, small city but they're a private school with a regional fan base. Their following isn't limited to the city of Dayton.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 pm

DudeAnon wrote:I think we should add em before AAC gets em.

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMCollege/sta ... 5146107905
supernova
kayako

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 pm

kayako wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I think we should add em before AAC gets em.

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMCollege/sta ... 5146107905

What do you expect him to say? Aside from the Big 12, nobody is dumb enough to publicly announce their expansion plans.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board