UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

Postby EMT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:UConn would certainly be an immediate boost in ratings, but they aren't available and as long as they have FBS football, it doesn't make financial sense for them. So what's the answer?

We can wait 8 years and see if Creighton, Xavier, and Butler are national powers by then. Or at least that's the vibe I am getting from some of the newer fans of the Big East.

I understand the thinking that Fox needs time to grow their cable sports network fan base. But the old Big East grabbed a fan base immediately. I know that it was a different time, but I think most products have their best opportunity when their new to the market. Whatever their first impression, they then tend to settle in to their niche and stay where they are.

My concern isn't just for keeping the Fox contract, but it's to have a product with enough demand that other networks are bidding for the Big East in addition to Fox. That's what will keep us on the receiving end of a lucrative contract.

The definition of lucrative contract will be interesting. There are a ton of Fox Sports 1 posts. Can someone link to an article that Fox is unhappy with the BE ratings? How are the Pac12 ratings vs BE on FS1?

The article below is not an ESPN problem but a cable TV problem.

http://deadspin.com/here-come-big-espn- ... 1793002796
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jfan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm for Gonzaga joining. Even more so than UCONN. As a Creighton fan, I don't have a history with UCONN. I know they have a great program, but they also have a football program and would leave the BE in a heartbeat if they got an invite from a football 5 conference. As for the travel, for current members, it would mean one trip to the west coast per sport per year. The student athletes playing the various sports would probably enjoy the experience. I know it's a long trip from the east coast, but not that long. The league could work out a stop in Omaha for a game into the trip to Gonzaga. The real traveling would be done by the Zag teams and if they are OK with the time and expense, we should add them. A home run for BB exposure!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby kayako » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Interesting. How sure are you about Gonzaga increasing our TV ratings? Admittedly I just kind of assumed negatively with the late tipoff times and the Spokane TV market. And I am assuming that they're willing to play in Spokane Arena or maybe even Seattle for a handful of their home games every season?

Bill Marsh wrote:My concern isn't just for keeping the Fox contract, but it's to have a product with enough demand that other networks are bidding for the Big East in addition to Fox. That's what will keep us on the receiving end of a lucrative contract.

Yeah this I can totally agree with. Hopefully the presidents aren't content with the little exposure that came with Nova's title. They need to be hungry for more. I'm starting to lean VCU (after UCONN of course), but I'm glad I am not making these decisions!
supernova
kayako

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:59 pm

kayako wrote:Interesting. How sure are you about Gonzaga increasing our TV ratings? Admittedly I just kind of assumed negatively with the late tipoff times and the Spokane TV market. And I am assuming that they're willing to play in Spokane Arena or maybe even Seattle for a handful of their home games every season?

I'm not at all sure that Gonzaga would increase our ratings. The conference and/or Fox would have to have their marketing people research that question about Gonzaga or any other addition.

I do know that Gonzaga already starts so,e weekday games as early as 6:00 or even 5:00, so I don't think that broadcast times would be a problem.

Bill Marsh wrote:My concern isn't just for keeping the Fox contract, but it's to have a product with enough demand that other networks are bidding for the Big East in addition to Fox. That's what will keep us on the receiving end of a lucrative contract.

Yeah this I can totally agree with. Hopefully the presidents aren't content with the little exposure that came with Nova's title. They need to be hungry for more. I'm starting to lean VCU (after UCONN of course), but I'm glad I am not making these decisions!

I agree that VCU is an attractive option. Big school, big fan base that travels well. big state, excellent facilities, well managed, consistently successful under several different coaches. Another positive about them is that they ar on the I-95 corridor, which means easy access by train, bus, or car to MSG for the tournament. They've traveled well to the A10 tournament at Barclays.
Bill Marsh

Postby herodotus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm

You know what would help ratings? Not having our three worst teams located in three of our four largest markets. When fans in NYC, Chicago, and DC have no reason to watch, it's got to hurt your ratings.
herodotus

Postby SJHooper » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 am

That's interesting...I never thought of it that way. 3/4 of our worst teams are in the most major markets. I remember when St. John's won 4 or 5 games against top 10 opponents and ranked 18th I believe. Even being ranked 18th, we were all over the local papers, we were being talked about as a dark horse Elite 8 threat all over ESPN, we were discussed on PTI and Sportscenter, etc. The Garden was electric. If I remember correctly, the team wasn't even that good and just got red hot at the end. If we can get that much attention and hype being ranked 18th, just imagine what we could garner if we were playing at a top 10 level consistently. It's amazing to think now, but Olajuwon and even Melo wanted to play here but did not for different reasons. We have the big stage that can attract big time players, we just need a big time coach to have consistent success. I still believe we are a sleeping giant.
SJHooper

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:58 am

If the Zags still want to join the BE, let them join. Also add St Louis to pad the bottom a bit. That's your 12 and you have added two good markets. The Zags will be immediately competitive (Overall: 31-1, WCC: 17-1) and the Billikens (Overall: 11 - 20 A-10: 6 - 12) will aid the middle of the conference with 2 more w's. It's a win-win. Fox gets more content, the conference gets 6-8 bids consistently, and gtmo waits for Duke to bolt from the ACC - "erobody's" happy.

;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Toronto Rapture » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:If the Zags still want to join the BE, let them join. Also add St Louis to pad the bottom a bit. That's your 12 and you have added two good markets. The Zags will be immediately competitive (Overall: 31-1, WCC: 17-1) and the Billikens (Overall: 11 - 20 A-10: 6 - 12) will aid the middle of the conference with 2 more w's. It's a win-win. Fox gets more content, the conference gets 6-8 bids consistently, and gtmo waits for Duke to bolt from the ACC - "erobody's" happy.

;)

Or, add two immediately competitive programs in Dayton and Gonzaga. Dayton not growing the BE footprint could be offset by the addition of Gonzaga, meanwhile, Dayton's travelling fanbase will bolster the BET, whereas, I'm assuming, travel would be an issue for Zags fans to the BET. Accepting both together might mitigate their individual perceived shortcomings. What is certain; both Dayton and Gonzaga would immediately strengthen the standing of the BE as a basketball power. From a purely basketball perspective, this seems to make sense.

Later on, add a program or two like St. Louis. Let them improve first. There might be better options for the present time.

All of this discussion makes me think the BE is more likely to expand before rather than at the time of the next big round of realignment. As long as the decisions are sound, I think that would be the proactive approach.
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Postby xman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 pm

kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:UConn would certainly be an immediate boost in ratings, but they aren't available and as long as they have FBS football, it doesn't make financial sense for them. So what's the answer?

We can wait 8 years and see if Creighton, Xavier, and Butler are national powers by then. Or at least that's the vibe I am getting from some of the newer fans of the Big East.

Compared to UConn all three are national powers right now.
xman

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 pm

The problem is perception. Most people still haven't bought into the idea that "we" are the Big East versus the OBE.

I would argue the best way to fix that perception issue is by winning. Currently Dayton has that pedigree. I would argue for their addition this year.

Ditch the round-robin. Expand to 11 with Dayton for now.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board