UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn to the Big East? Rumors and Discussion Thread...

Postby Michael in Raleigh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:59 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20170311/sunday-gravy-sorting-through-possible-tom-moore-replacements-at-quinnipiac

Athletic director Greg Amodio was hired two years ago to get men’s basketball on par with Quinnipiac’s other revenue-driving sports. The school elevated to the MAAC in 2014, with the intention to make itself attractive for another upgrade. School president John Lahey has said he believes there’s Big East potential here.

Quinnipiac believes they are a long-term candidate for the Big East. They are already an associate member for Field Hockey.

Well, you have to admire the ambition.
Michael in Raleigh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:05 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20170311/sunday-gravy-sorting-through-possible-tom-moore-replacements-at-quinnipiac

Athletic director Greg Amodio was hired two years ago to get men’s basketball on par with Quinnipiac’s other revenue-driving sports. The school elevated to the MAAC in 2014, with the intention to make itself attractive for another upgrade. School president John Lahey has said he believes there’s Big East potential here.

Quinnipiac believes they are a long-term candidate for the Big East. They are already an associate member for Field Hockey.

I don't live too far from Quinnipiac. It's been amazing to watch their transformation over the years from a small college to one with a total enrollment now of 9,000 and 6500 undergrads. Over the years they've added both a medical school and a law school. Their facilities are first rate.

I don't see them as in the future of the Big East, but they are a first rate school and I wouldn't put a ceiling on their potential. They remind me of Tufts academically although on a lesser scale. Forty years ago, Tufts was a small college, known as a safety school for kids who couldn't get into Harvard. If you're going to live in someone else's shadow, Harvard's is not a bad one. But Tufts is now an elite research university in its own right, one of the best in the country. Quinnipiac, down the road from Yale, is growing in that same direction. Plus they boast an Irish Heritage Museum with lots of great exhibits on the Great Starvation in Ireland.
Bill Marsh

Postby herodotus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:25 am

Bill Marsh wrote:

I don't live too far from Quinnipiac. It's been amazing to watch their transformation over the years from a small college to one with a total enrollment now of 9,000 and 6500 undergrads. Over the years they've added both a medical school and a law school. Their facilities are first rate.

I don't see them as in the future of the Big East, but they are a first rate school and I wouldn't put a ceiling on their potential. They remind me of Tufts academically although on a lesser scale. Forty years ago, Tufts was a small college, known as a safety school for kids who couldn't get into Harvard. If you're going to live in someone else's shadow, Harvard's is not a bad one. But Tufts is now an elite research university in its own right, one of the best in the country. Quinnipiac, down the road from Yale, is growing in that same direction. Plus they boast an Irish Heritage Museum with lots of great exhibits on the Great Starvation in Ireland.

If Quinnipiac ever ends up in the BE, you'll know that the P5 has gone their own way, and that the BE has become irrelevant. I googled this AD. He's an idiot. He was at Duquesne before he got his current job. He actually had a coach who was winning games at a school that hasn't made any noise since the days of the Catholic independents, and he fired him for reasons no one can understand.
herodotus

Postby gosports1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am

what ever happened with the hockey east rumors? Last I heard there was some resistance to a HE move should that conference decide it wants to replace ND. I think RPI and holy cross were mentioned as well. I would think Quinnipiac would want their premier sport in the best available conference
gosports1

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board