Coulda Shoulda Woulda

The home for Big East hoops

Coulda Shoulda Woulda

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:26 am

I was just thinking last night about how awesome this league could have been this year if everything broke right. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good, but it lost a lot. What immediately comes to mind for me:

IF...
1. Mo Watson doesn't get hurt, Creighton is looking at a much higher seed and retains realistic final 4 aspirations
2. Ed Sumner doesn't get hurt, Xavier is looking at a much higher seed and retains realistic final 4 aspirations
3. Myles Davis doesn't get into trouble, bumps Xavier even more
4. Ben Bentil returns to Providence (staying in the draft was clearly a mistake), Providence is a likely NCAA tournament team with second weekend potential
5. Isaiah Whitehead returns to Seton Hall (though leaving has worked out well for him and seems to have been the right decision), the Pirates are an NCAA Tournament lock and possibly with final 4 aspirations.

Am I missing anything?

I thought about if Henry Ellenson returned to Marquette but left it out because it didn't ever seem like a realistic possibility.
Last edited by Hall2012 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Coulda Shoulda Woulda

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Coulda Shoulda Woulda

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:32 am

I think the only one which really is heartbreaking is Watson. He was arguably the best PG in the country and was the heart of the team. Creighton was a more realistic F4 team than Xavier with Mo.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:39 am

Hall2012 wrote:I was just thinking last night about how awesome this league could have been this year if everything broke right. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good, but it lost a lot.

Am I missing anything?

1. If Omari Spellman was not ruled ineligible and if Phil Booth were healthy Nova would be even better, and enter March as the unquestioned favorite to win it all again.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:44 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I was just thinking last night about how awesome this league could have been this year if everything broke right. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good, but it lost a lot.

Am I missing anything?

1. If Omari Spellman was not ruled ineligible and if Phil Booth were healthy Nova would be even better, and enter March as the unquestioned favorite to win it all again.

Another one I thought about, but I'm not sure they aren't the unquestioned favorite to win it all anyway.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:50 am

DudeAnon wrote:I think the only one which really is heartbreaking is Watson. He was arguably the best PG in the country and was the heart of the team. Creighton was a more realistic F4 team than Xavier with Mo.

In terms of a "heartbreaking factor" I absolutely agree Mo Watson is the biggest one with his circumstances. In terms of being a difference maker, my vote would go to Isaiah Whitehead. I can see an argument for Watson too though.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby stever20smom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:53 am

I think the only one which really is heartbreaking is Watson. He was arguably the best PG in the country and was the heart of the team. Creighton was a more realistic F4 team than Xavier with Mo.

^^^ this. Agree with most of those points above, but CU had the looks of a legit Final Four contender with Watson at the helm. I still think their ceiling is higher than most national pundits. That said, I found it interesting that the NCAA committee showed that they weren't ready to give up on them just yet when they had them as the first team out of the 'Top 16' or whatever.

It looks like the Jays have finally learned how to play without Watson, and while his absence almost certainly leaves them with a lower ceiling, they still look to be every bit capable of making a run in the tournament. A lot of talent still there and guys seem to be stepping up i.e. Thomas, Foster, etc.
stever20smom

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 am

What if St. John's beats Del State and LIU? Ugh!
NJRedman

Postby JohnW22 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 am

What if Jalen Reynolds returned for his senior year
XU
JohnW22

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 am

Good thread and good list, which I agree with.

1. Watson.
2. Sumner and Miles Davis.
3. Booth and Spellman.
4. Bentil... and holy cow, going back a year, 7'-2" Pascal Chukwu and his transfer to Syracuse... both would only be juniors... grrrr.

In the "Shoulda" category, if PC had won the game at BC on Dec 23rd, our RPI would be at 55 and we wouldn't have that terrible loss on our resume.

With Creighton, Davion Mintz has been starting, but Clement has been getting more minutes over the last 4 games, and Clement has averaged 5 assists and 2 turnovers in that time. Is the PG job going to be divided between these two, and do Jays fans have a preference?
Providence
billyjack

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 am

Ellenson was never returning for a second year. He was a mercenary, a true one and one player.

The only thing, as a Marquette fan, that would be classified under this scenario would be if we held on to beat Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, and Butler. Those three games killed us. Frankly, I don't think we deserve to be in the tournament with our inconsistency, but I want the BE to get 5 teams in.
GoldenWarrior11

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board