Coulda Shoulda Woulda

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Coulda Shoulda Woulda

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 pm

If Paul White doesn't transfer right before the start of the season and to a lesser extent if Isaac Copeland doesn't transfer part way through the year.

If Hayes isn't forced to sit out the first 4 games, If derrickson wasn't hurt to start the year. Could've gone very different for the Hoyas.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:22 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Yadda, yadda, yadda... Well it is great to see and hear so many of you "packin up the gear", conceding the season, and planning for next year, already. Great...see youse guys and your teams next season. Just mail in the remaining losses to Val and Stu... and thanks! Nova thanks you, Creighton thanks you, and ol' gtmo thanks you.

The season ain't over. 6 rs games, the BET, and the NCAA - that's a max of 15 tilts left - a lot of basketball left. If Creighton and Butler can get their shit together and beat Nova, this Reg season thing is wide open and the BET should be fun as well. The great hoops is just beginning-not ending. Don't quit on us (the league, your team, and college hoops) yet.

The Hall gets a big signature win at home vs Nova, then Butler ends the pavilion win streak, and Creighton steps on a wounded Nova-dogs neck. It ain't over til it's over.

luv ya,
gtmo

We aren't packing up anything. We're gonna win the whole thing this year! NIT title coming back to NYC!

St John's has absolutely no chance of making the NIT. It's done totally on merit now, teams like St John's aren't gifted spots just because of name. St John's profile is much weaker than what Marquette was last year and they didn't make it. Heck, remember Creighton was one of the last 9 teams to make it. You say Big East record is merit. I say Creighton had 9 BE wins last year and barely made it, and Marquette had 8 wins and 20 overall and didn't make it.

Oh I forgot your on the committee. Every season is different based on how each team looks. Saying St. John's has no chance means you think a team above .500 in a power conference has no chance. Thats beyond stupid. You have no idea how the conference tournaments are going to shake out. If most of the regular season champs win then that means more slots open to at large teams in the NIT. Quit acting like your word is fact. St. Johns is definitely in the mix. Not saying they are a definite because im not an absolutist like you.

How you are playing down the stretch goes into consideration with the NCAA and it does as well for the NIT.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:32 pm

For St John's to finish above .500 right now(which may not be enough quite frankly)- they would need to in their last bunch of games finish 4 games over .500. If they finish 4-1 regular season they would be 16-15. Would take a BET win. So for them to even remotely have a shot- they would need to beat both Georgetown and PC at home, and then win 2 of 3 on the road vs Xavier, Creighton, and Marquette. And then win home court counting QF in the BET against a top 4 team. That's to just finish with a 17-16 record. Anything else, and they have no shot at all.

And yeah, last year when it was done, I knew that Marquette had no chance of making the NIT, even with 20 wins. Just because a power conference team finishes over .500 doesn't mean they're a lock. That's how the NIT used to be. That's not how it is any longer.

Also, how you are playing down the stretch does NOT go into consideration. They specifically say that.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 pm

stever20 wrote:For Seton Hall, I think the Florida game in the tourney could really come back to haunt them. Even if they still go 1-2, the uptick in SOS would have been huge, along with the top 25 win over Florida.

For Georgetown you obviously have the Maryland game- and the corresponding hangover the next game vs Arkansas St.

This year stinks because the way the league was- it could have easily gotten 7-8 teams in. Probably should have. But things have really conspired against it.

Agree on the Florida game because meant a lot more than just 1 loss. The team also seemed to mentally check out of the tournament after dropping it, putting up very poor performances in its remaining 2 games (close win over Quinnipiac and getting hammered by Stanford).

Another single game I could look to - and really just single play - would be if Carrington's buzzer 3 at Xavier stayed down. Having that win in their pocket would take a good amount of pressure off of this upcoming homestand.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Toronto Rapture » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm

stever20 wrote:For Georgetown you obviously have the Maryland game- and the corresponding hangover the next game vs Arkansas St.

Not giving up and I'm looking forward to see what Gtown does in the BET, as I think besides NOVA, the Hoyas could knock off anyone in the BET. Still, those games hurt.
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Toronto Rapture wrote:
stever20 wrote:For Georgetown you obviously have the Maryland game- and the corresponding hangover the next game vs Arkansas St.

Not giving up and I'm looking forward to see what Gtown does in the BET, as I think besides NOVA, the Hoyas could knock off anyone in the BET. Still, those games hurt.

yeah but you take those 2 games away, and Georgetown is sitting right now at 16-10 and just needing 2 wins to be a total lock. Would have really probably just needed a road win at Creighton, St John's, or Seton Hall- to go along with DePaul.

now for Georgetown to make tourney they would need to win bare minimum 2 of those 3. Or beat Nova along with 1 of those. Anything less, and it's NIT at best for Georgetown.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board