(1) BE game 2/13/17 Villanova at DePaul on CBSSN

The home for Big East hoops

Postby MUPanther » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:50 pm

9:00 - Villanova @ DePaul, CBS SN - Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas, Allie LaForce
Line: Villanova -17.5
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (1) BE game 2/13/17 Villanova at DePaul on CBSSN

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:36 am

What!!?? No one is talking about the Nova win last night. Figures...this board just continues to overlook them. /s ;)

Business-like win. If not for the 17 points that DePaul scored in the last 3 minutes, when the game was well out of hand, this would have been Nova's best defensive performance of the year. Swarming. Dylan Painter got a chance to play some too. At the very least if he can get some experience, he gives them some legitimate size (and 5 fouls) in spot duty, when they get to March.

And I feel for the DePaul fans. Hard to find much to get excited about in Rosemont these days. They just didn't seem to have much of a plan at all to score the ball. Dribble around, drive and chuck.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby JohnW22 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:28 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:What!!?? No one is talking about the Nova win last night. Figures...this board just continues to overlook them. /s ;)

Business-like win. If not for the 17 points that DePaul scored in the last 3 minutes, when the game was well out of hand, this would have been Nova's best defensive performance of the year. Swarming. Dylan Painter got a chance to play some too. At the very least if he can get some experience, he gives them some legitimate size (and 5 fouls) in spot duty, when they get to March.

And I feel for the DePaul fans. Hard to find much to get excited about in Rosemont these days. They just didn't seem to have much of a plan at all to score the ball. Dribble around, drive and chuck.

I was waiting for this when I saw it had zero replies :lol: well played
XU
JohnW22

Postby Novachap » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Pretty crazy graphic last night. Discussing uconn women's 100 game streak they put up the best men's record for the same period. Nova was tops at 90-10 over the same timeframe... in Jay we trust, man are we nova fans fortunate.
Novachap

Postby kayako » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Painter being able to play 5-10 non-garbage minutes competently would be huge for Nova. I've been pretty down on the kid, but that baseline jumper took care of that :lol:
supernova
kayako

Postby Westbrook#36 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:10 pm

kayako wrote:Painter being able to play 5-10 non-garbage minutes competently would be huge for Nova. I've been pretty down on the kid, but that baseline jumper took care of that :lol:

If DP can give us 10 non-garbo minutes of action going forward, that would be such a silver lining in Reynold's injury situation. He wouldn't even need to score, just grab several rebounds, take up space in the lane, don't turnover the ball, use some of your fouls, and don't get abused on D. Hell I'd be happy if he did even half that in a limited 10 minutes, maybe he could even see some time when DR gets back.
Westbrook#36

Postby BEhomer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Painter needs to play more. sometimes you need to have your young players make mistakes so they learn from it. nova team right now is like a well oiled machine and I get that Jay doesn't want to temper with it. but that team is playing for march and they will need someone like Painter off the bench.
BEhomer

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:28 pm

I think the biggest reason Painter hasn't played is b/c of defense. Jay asks his players to switch defensively in the m2m. Painter is really slow afoot. Teams like PC and SJU, with their quick guards would eat him up on the perimeter. Reynolds and Paschall can hold their own.

So this gives Jay an interesting change of pace option. Insert Painter for a 5 minute stretch each half and go to the 2-3 zone. It gives us another body for the rotation and helps clog up the middle. He's a big kid with a soft touch. They don't need him to score--just set picks, rebound and provide some rim protection. I hope to see more of him down the stretch to see what we have.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Novachap wrote:Pretty crazy graphic last night. Discussing uconn women's 100 game streak they put up the best men's record for the same period. Nova was tops at 90-10 over the same timeframe... in Jay we trust, man are we nova fans fortunate.

The craziest thing I saw was from a computer rater. They said that if UConn was a 95% favorite in all 100 games in their winning streak, the odds of them going 100-0 was I believe something like 0.5%.

Also saw interview from Geno after the game. He compared what they are doing now to UCLA with this- UCLA at the end of their dynasty- the NCAA tourney had been around for like 37 years. Well right now in NCAA women's ball- this year is the 36th year of the NCAA women's tourney. It's an interesting comparison.

Guess that means Marquette will be winning it all in women's bball real soon then :)
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board